Flying out of a Presidential TFR

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
!FDC 9/7481 ZFW PART 4 OF 6 LA..AIRSPACE MONROE, LOUISIANA..TEMPORARY FLIGHT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (FACAOSSP), MODEL SECURITY PROGRAM (MSP), TWELVE FIVE STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (TFSSP)
B. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN THE 10 NMR AND 30 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE OUTER RING(S): ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE OUTER RING(S) LISTED ABOVE ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS, AND WORKLOAD PERMITTING, ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. ALL AIRCRAFT MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR FILED VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING 1911070000-1911070445 END PART 4 OF 6

I was reading the TFR for Monroe LA, and I noticed this section.

If I am flying out of a local airport in the outer rings, what would I have to do to get ATC approval other than file a VFR flight plan?

Pretty sure you need to have a flight plan active, be squawking and talking to controllers before you take off. This includes permission from the controlling agency of course. If you're at a non-towered field, then I assume you'd get a few minute window for when you need to become airborne - if they even will do that.

Pretty sure you need a code before takeoff. Some how you need to contact Monroe approach via, remote clearance freq, phone or ? Treat it as if you are departing IFR and need a clearance on the ground.

For a VFR flight you need to have a VFR flight plan on file (no need to activate it, only have it filed). If the local airport has a tower, contact clearance delivery and ask them for a squawk code and ATC frequency for VFR flight departing the airport to your destination.

If it is a non-towered field, call the clearance delivery phone number listed in the chart supplement for that airport (most have them now). For example, Morehouse Memorial (KBQP) lists 318-327-5641 for Monroe Approach and 817-858-7584 for Fort Worth Center if Monroe Approach is not available. Tell them your N number, that you are on the ground at the airport where you will be taking off in about xx minutes, and that you need a squawk code and frequency for a VFR flight in the TFR to your destination. Get the squawk code and frequency from them.

Start squawking that code as soon as you start up. Contact ATC on the assigned frequency after take off as soon as the tower tells you from a towered field, or as soon as you can safely do so from a non-towered field. ATC will confirm radar contact and you are on your way.

On the way back into the TFR you will again need a VFR flight plan on file. Get flight following when you are well outside the TFR and you are set to fly back into the TFR. The only difference from normal flight following is that you will continue to squawk the assigned code all the way to shut down on the ground (no switching to 1200 when flight following is terminated).

Does a student solo flight count as "flight training" for TFR flight restrictions?

Got a coworker that is supposed to be doing his first solo today. He's scheduled to fly on Friday, but the Prez is also here on Friday. His home airport is in the outer ring for the 2nd TFR. It's in the inner ring for the 1st TFR, so I know he can't then.

I know I could file and fly out or in, but not sure about student pilot doing a solo flight.

Just curious.

I think it is still considered training because the solo is performed under the supervision of a CFI and also for the sole purpose (officially) of meeting private pilot eligibility requirements.

A solo is obviously logged as PIC by the one and only pilot onboard.
You can't be sitting on the ground logging PIC hours.

Student solos are PIC time, so I don't see how that is flight training.

Know a lot of CFI's that say "you're going to solo today, have at it!" ? :D Usually a few T&G and then off on your own. If you can't get the dual in because it's flight training unlikely that you're going to solo.

That being said, a student could depart on a solo cross-country with the same procedures as anyone else.

Student solos are PIC time, so I don't see how that is flight training.
it is, also, this;
B. For operations within the airspace between the 10 nmr and 30 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or filed VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

TnG's and pattern circuits are not allowed. I don't know of any instructor that would send a student to another airport and back on a first solo.

Also personally I feel like adding the stress of operating in a presidential TFR with very specific requirements and large consequences of screw-in it up is not a great idea on what is already probably a pretty stressful event for the student.

Back