Pilot shortage might soon be a thing of the past. Sort of.

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
The flight-shaming article mentions that commercial flights are responsible for about 2.5 percent of global carbon emissions. I think the advocates of flight-shaming need to read up on Pareto analysis.

The flight-shaming article mentions that commercial flights are responsible for about 2.5 percent of global carbon emissions. I think the advocates of flight-shaming need to read up on Pareto analysis.

I'm with you. However, as the reasoning goes by the "shamers", that same article talks about how that number is projected to grow.

From your wiki article(emphasis added by me) :
"Pareto analysis is a creative way of looking at causes of problems because it helps stimulate thinking and organize thoughts. However, it can be limited by its exclusion of possibly important problems which may be small initially, but which grow with time. It should be combined with other analytical tools such as failure mode and effects analysis and fault tree analysis for example.[citation needed]"

Maybe focusing on the 97.5% would be a better start. But as we all know, it's not about bettering anything. It's just plain old jealousy and guilt tripping.

Maybe focusing on the 97.5% would be a better start. But as we all know, it's not about bettering anything. It's just plain old jealousy and guilt tripping.
The UK thing is totally a class thing. Environment is just an excuse.

Yes, "class" in Britain is imprinted into their brains at birth. They are frantic that no one is upper class compared to them. If you work like a dog, take risks, and are financially successful you will be roundly hated for being posh, snooty, and a dozen other epithets. Those of us on here who fly, and especially if you own a plane, are too successful for the punters at the pub (translates to the drunks at the bar)

Why does anyone pay any attention to this clickbait nonsense? This will end up in the same political spat it always does. BORING.

My extended family in England has had a problem that I owned three airplanes until recently...along with five cars for three drivers...class is an issue and coming from a labor background from the North East. All but one of my cousins think I am to posh for the family. I agree it has nothing to do with the environment. Then again Britain being a class society, most the wealthy really do not want to interact or entertain the unwashed masses unless they are serving them tea. Next week I will be flying to London and spending a couple of days between there and Southampton and then return via the QMII to NYC. I am always such a interesting conversation for the British, who will be sailing, as I seem to be an American but with deep Geordie/Mackem roots of my birthplace...obviously successful, but did not remain in my class. The American Dream is not really available in the UK as I would never be allowed in the proper schools or circles. I can really confuse them when I announce I was the first British Apache Pilot....just happened to be in the US Army.

Back