How do I find and hire a reputable CFI?

Gregory Haley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
I’m not quite ready yet, but rather than the chaos of a school for getting my ppl, I’m seriously considering hiring a CFI that enjoys teaching,but does not waste time. I,m here in downtown Atlanta, and would certainly prefer a less crowded airport and less complicated plane for this stage. I want to nail the basics cold. Any tips on how to find one?

Go to your local airfield and open your mouth, that’s probably the best way to find someone most people would recommend around you.

Alexander Wolf
And you should be willing to travel and pay his fee.
/thread

I kid you not, I found my CFI on craigslist.

I am not a very good pilot though but I didn't pay a ton of money to not be a very good pilot.
You got to ask yourself "What kind of pilot do I want to be?" and "How much do I want to pay for it?"

"the chaos of a (flight) school" to some, is "a structured and proven curriculum, experience, and a well-defined set of processes, contacts, and equipment for making pilots" to others.

If you don't want to waste time in training, get the written exam done before you start. Seriously. Some of our quickest students did that. The other ingredient for efficient training is fly often. 3x+ a week will prevent rust between lessons that needs kicked off. 5x will see nearly anyone be a 40-something hour pilot instead of the standard 60-something.

The sweetest spot is probably a midsized untowered airport sitting just outside of the ATL Class B airspace. You jump in and go fly, you don't wait on a tower or ATC, and when you're ready to talk to them, you just fly "that-a-way" to get to them.

We're out there.
I’m not quite ready yet, but rather than the chaos of a school for getting my ppl, I’m seriously considering hiring a CFI that enjoys teaching,but does not waste time. I,m here in downtown Atlanta, and would certainly prefer a less crowded airport and less complicated plane for this stage. I want to nail the basics cold. Any tips on how to find one?

There are very few Independent CFIs that teach primary students. You might inquire with some EAA chapters in the area.

Go to a couple of local airports. Notice if the fbo/flight school seems friendly and welcoming. There are a few. believe it or not that act as if they are doing you a favor to be in their presence for a mere $150 and up an hour. See what kind of planes they use and it there seem to be engouth of them and in good shape. Vital: notice how the CFIs interact with the students, do they sit down calmly for a few minutes of briefing before and AFTER THE FLIGHT, or always seem to be in a last minute rush to get in the plane and get the meter running. And ask a few of the students how their lessons are going, are they having fun and do the like the CFI? Do not waste your time and a lot of good money on a jakass. Good luck, don't wait, go do it.

Google "Gleim find a certified flight instructor". Can also try NAFI or Instructair. They might provide listings of CFI's in your area.

Go to a couple of local airports. Notice if the fbo/flight school seems friendly and welcoming. There are a few. believe it or not that act as if they are doing you a favor to be in their presence for a mere $150 and up an hour. See what kind of planes they use and it there seem to be engouth of them and in good shape. Vital: notice how the CFIs interact with the students, do they sit down calmly for a few minutes of briefing before and AFTER THE FLIGHT, or always seem to be in a last minute rush to get in the plane and get the meter running. And ask a few of the students how their lessons are going, are they having fun and do the like the CFI? Do not waste your time and a lot of good money on a jakass. Good luck, don't wait, go do it.
Thanks, much appreciated

If you can find a local flying club, they will have a list of approved instructors.

Yup visit local airports. A name or two will get suggested more than once

I love local ol’ Instructors. Have often thought it may fun to fly around and take an hour w frank, joe And Harry at Podunkville municipal anywhere. Now that’s as a ticket holder, just for enrichment, I don’t suggest going to random instructors to tr to get your ticket. I say that as my endorsement of salty old CFIs at local airports..

''I don't understand "the chaos of a school." Part 141 schools MUST follow an approved FAA syllabus; Part 61 instructors SHOULD use a syllabus. Where does the chaos come in? I've been involved in the aviation education industry since 1968 and have yet witness any chaos. Where are you getting your information?

Bob Gardner

Gold Seal has a free "Find a CFI" directory and it lists a >boatload< of instructors in the metro-Atlanta area. You will have to create an account (that's how we keep the bots out), but it's free and only takes a moment. After you're logged in, click the "Find a CFI" menu option at the top right, select Georgia, and you'll see them all sorted by city, each with full contact info.
www.GroundSchool.com

Living in ATL, you're going to deal with more crowded airspace vs North Dakota. Learning how to fly and not hit anyone, be able to talk to ATC, all good IHMO anyway.

Most schools / CFI's use the Skyhawk because they are great trainers, so I wouldn't worry about flying something complicated.

Some schools can waste time, most don't. You're in charge of your tracking your training and requirements anyway (keeping your log book, tracking your time on spreadsheet, etc.). You control if your time is wasted or not.

Go talk to several schools and see if your opinion of a flight school holds.

Back