INOP or not INOP?

I’ve flown many airplanes where the number 2 nav OBS didn’t have a glideslope indicator, even though the radio was fully capable of receiving a glideslope signal. Never seen a single “#2 glideslope inop” placard.

Bingo.

If the transceiver doesn't transmit, it's partially inop. Enough that I'd placard it (XMIT INOP).

Sounds like a good thing to receive ATIS on. Kinda like what my COMM1 was in the Lance (before the October refresh).

I’ve flown many airplanes where the number 2 nav OBS didn’t have a glideslope indicator, even though the radio was fully capable of receiving a glideslope signal. Never seen a single “#2 glideslope inop” placard.

Both the KX 155 and KX 165 featured a built-in 40-channel glideslope receiver. Both models are also available without the glideslope. Other nav/coms were the same. Some required a remote GS receiver.

Last edited:
Both the KX 155 and KX 165 featured a built-in 40-channel glideslope receiver. Both models are also available without the glideslope. Other nav/coms were the same. Some required a remote GS receiver.

True. That explains SOME of the installations out there.

If the thing is installed without an indicator, there's nothing "inop" about this. If you have a busted indicator, then you've got to follow the rules about inoperative components.

Another interesting discussion. So to continue it, and out of curiosity as to what some folks will say, suppose the problem was with the COMM side of the radio not transmitting. How many would say this qualifies as INOP and should be placarded as such?

If it was me there would be no need to placarded as INOP. I would remove the COM and have it repaired

Another interesting discussion. So to continue it, and out of curiosity as to what some folks will say, suppose the problem was with the COMM side of the radio not transmitting. How many would say this qualifies as INOP and should be placarded as such?
For this to be an analogous situation the COM side would have to be a working part of an incomplete system. So, let's say the COM side doesn't transmit because the required mic is not installed. Are you going to placard it?

If I had a dollar for every cheap pilot who wanted to save a buck by finding a way around fixing/upgrading a piece of equipment. I would have enough money to buy 2 x CDIs for murph.

For this to be an analogous situation the COM side would have to be a working part of an incomplete system. So, let's say the COM side doesn't transmit because the required mic is not installed. Are you going to placard it?

You mean you don't placard your COM radio every time you unplug your headset? Otherwise, how do you know some pilot who is not you won't jump in your plane, start shouting at the panel, and then report you to FSDO when they can't copy their clearance?

If I had a dollar for every cheap pilot who wanted to save a buck by finding a way around fixing/upgrading a piece of equipment. I would have enough money to buy 2 x CDIs for murph.
What makes this really absurd, (annoying) is that I have another CDI that was supposed to be installed with the TKM. No one at TKM explained that their own equipment, the MC 60 CDI, was originally sold as the preferred CDi, does not work with their own NAV! Of course this was before the new owners and new versions of the TKM MK12. I’ve had two shops trying to make it work with no luck.

I called Spruce yesterday for pricing on a used SL 30, since the CDI works with it. At $3700, I politely informed Spruce that the price for a 20yr old used radio was definitely unreasonable when a new Garmin 255 wasn’t much more. So I’m waiting until next spring.Why? because all the reputable shops are still jammed up with ADSB.

Oh yeah, and Clip, even tho I have you on ignore...When I installed ADSB more than 2 yrs ago, I went with a Garmin panel installation. Next spring I’ll be dropping over $15k on GPS, indicators, other required parts and installation. Does that sound like someone who cheaps out on the airplane?

Last edited:
What makes this really absurd, (annoying) is that I have another CDI that was supposed to be installed with the TKM. No one at TKM explained that their own equipment, the MC 60 CDI, was originally sold as the preferred CDi, does not work with their own NAV! Of course this was before the new owners and new versions of the TKM MK12. I’ve had two shops trying to make it work with no luck.

I called Spruce yesterday for pricing on a used SL 30, since the CDI works with it. At $3700, I politely informed Spruce that the price for a 20yr old used radio was definitely unreasonable when a new Garmin 255 wasn’t much more. So I’m waiting until next spring.Why? because all the reputable shops are still jammed up with ADSB.

Oh yeah, and Clip, even tho I have you on ignore...When I installed ADSB more than 2 yrs ago, I went with a Garmin panel installation. Next spring I’ll be dropping over $15k on GPS, indicators, other required parts and installation. Does that sound like someone who cheaps out on the airplane?

If you are satisfied with a nav/comm with no indicator it sounds like some one who cheaps out. In the end your satisfied with not having the job done right. You can put me back on ignore.

I'm not sure about this, but if I recall correctly the Narco 12D+ I have in our plane displays the radial from the station in the standyby-frequency window whenever I'm not actively rotating the knob. In addition to the aforementioned utility of being able to listen to FSS and other transmissions using the NAV side, that display is of some navigational use too. There is nothing "inop" about your Narco if all of its functions work correctly.The CDI displays some of the information that your NAV is able to provide. If your tv goes on the fritz, do you placard your cable box INOP? If your CDI is not there, you certainly won't be looking at it, so the need to placard anything as inop is unnecessary. You placard things as INOP to make sure you don't forget and act upon faulty data or information, or try to use something that doesn't work. That's my opinion, based on logic... there are FAR more experienced and learned pilots here than I.

Why folks can't simply reply to a post or question in a literate manner without making judgements, assertions, or assumptions about other people is beyond me. Not sure I even want to understand why some folks are like that.

Last edited:
If you are satisfied with a nav/comm with no indicator it sounds like some one who cheaps out. In the end your satisfied with not having the job done right. You can put me back on ignore.

I seriously don’t understand your hostility. It’s a temporary situation. He’s explained that he tried to make it work, but didn’t want to waste money before he spends a lot more on a major upgrade next year. It’s like telling someone they should renovate their condo even though the are buying a house next year.

Why am I craving pancakes after getting to this point?
Oh - I read the title as “IHOP or not IHOP”

Sounds like you need a placard over an empty hole that says “this space reserved for future expansion” then an INOP placard over that???

:D

Good luck!!!

What does $15k do at the avionics shop these days. A single G5 and two LED bulbs?

I can't see anyone really being ever held accountable for something like this. It's more likely that if this were brought up to a dozen FAA folks they would probably be equally split on this also.
Doesn't seem to make sense to have to placard when it's totally obvious by lack of the indicator. If I look at my KMA 24 audio panel, it's got DME and an ADF buttons which I'm not equipped with. Seems illogical to placard for non existent equipment. Sometimes we get so tied up in the regs that we bypass the main reason for the regs...safety. Are the placard proponents suggesting that a pilot would somehow try to use equipment he knows he doesn't have because there's not a sign telling him that?

What does $15k do at the avionics shop these days. A single G5 and two LED bulbs?
chortle!

Bunch of LEDs, that blink in unison or you can make them blink in order, such as chaser lights.

I have a perfectly good NAV/COM radio. But I have no indicator for the NAV side. Am I required to INOP the NAV part of the radio?
If the Nav function of the unit cannot be used, then that function of the unit is Inop, whether it is an issue with the unit or the indictor the Nav is functionally INOP. Stick a label (NAV INOP) on it and log it in the airframe log.

Back