I have chosen FlyQ for my flight app. Love it.

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
I am a daytime VFR pilot and fly mostly XC.
After testing multiple apps, I have chosen FlyQ as the best one for me.
Very easy to use, has everything I need, and not much I don't.
$70 per year is the lowest of all paid apps.
Very fun and easy to use it on my iPhone 11.

I LOVED IT too. Called them today to cancel my account

I’m on Garmin Pilot now as it Integrates with my new 375.

Fly-Q not communicating with Garmin devices (license issues) will be their death, IMO.

Last edited:
Well, if everyone keeps buying from Garmin, we will be at their mercy.
I have a SkyBeacon and Stratus 3, and FlyQ is awesome with them.

Last edited:
FlyQ has been great with Stratux and now Stratus 3 flying a mix of VFR and IFR.

I also like FlyQ as my primary for VFR and IFR. It is very intuitive for me. Gets my dander up to think that Garmin is going to dictate my choice of EFB. Been researching for several years open source solutions to be ADS-B compatible, so Stratux and TailBeacon are making me very happy.

BELIEVE ME. It gets my dander up, as well. But I just invested a solid 5-digit amount in my new panel for the plane. After lots of research Garmin won my business.

I'm not going to suffer with a partially-working EFB platform just because of principle.

And after what I spent, I'm not tolerating a battery-operated gizmo stuck to a window.

I LOVED IT too. Called them today to cancel my account

I’m on Garmin Pilot now as it Integrates with my new 375.

Fly-Q not communicating with Garmin devices (license issues) will be their death, IMO.
I will end up having to do the same.

I’m a ForeFlight pro guy

Otherwise I’d just go fltplan Mobile for free, or just eyeballs and windows for straight VFR

What is partially working in FlyQ? It does everything I want it to do, and easy to use especially during flight, which is what initially attracted me. There are other innovations that I have suggested to them, and they seem very responsive.

When I looked at ADS-B, the only transponder that I felt was tantalizing was the multi-capable NGT9000, but the priciness of this and the Garmins didn’t work for me. There are other inexpensive open source receivers that work fine also if the Stratux is too fragile in your hands. As always,YMMV, and what you selected works for you.

I am a daytime VFR pilot and fly mostly XC.
After testing multiple apps, I have chosen FlyQ as the best one for me.
Very easy to use, has everything I need, and not much I don't.
$70 per year is the lowest of all paid apps.
Very fun and easy to use it on my iPhone 11.
For a mostly VFR pilot, FlyQ is an excellent choice. It is the one I generally recommend to VFR-only pilots and the one I am likely to move to when my IFR days are over.

What is partially working in FlyQ?
"Partially-working" is probably not the best way to say it, but pretty sure he simply means: if you have added Garmin FlightStream or GTX capability and do not want use an extra device as your iPad ADS-B-in source, your choices are limited to apps other than FlyQ.

The issue isn't that FlyQ doesn't support Garmin... I'm sure they'd love to... the issue is that Garmin doesn't release enough information for FlyQ to do so. Garmin is in business to sell you expensive (and admittedly very good) boxes, and then capitalize on that by making sure you buy their expensive and necessary subscriptions, too, for both data and Garmin Pilot. I guess it's a good, profitable business model, and since it's all "in-house" they have an easier time assuring everything talks to each other nicely, but as a consumer it bugs me. I went w/ a Stratus ESG and homebuilt Stratux as my ADSB/transponder solution for that reason. RIght now, there's nothing Garmin in my plane. However, I'm looking for a GPS navigator, and the Garmin GPS 175 seems to be about the ONLY one I can almost afford. Avidyne looks great and would be an option if it wasn't out of my price range. Should probably put in a second COM, too, which might mean going for a GNC 355... sigh... would LOVE to stay away from Garmin, but I'm not sure I can afford to.

OP.. did you try iFlyGPS, too, before you selected FlyQ? If so, what did you like better about FlyQ?

Garmin is the Apple of aviation.

Seems apt to me... "Have it our way. We're good, we know it, you'll love the options we allow you to have, or we'll keep your money anyway." At least Garmin seems to be making a slight attempt to bring out some slightly lower cost products to compete a bit.

Verizon is in the same family.

I love my FlyQ. I bought one of the rare lifetime subscriptions too. We have a dedicated iPad in the plane linked to a Wi-Fi ads-b source.

The issue isn't that FlyQ doesn't support Garmin... I'm sure they'd love to... the issue is that Garmin doesn't release enough information for FlyQ to do so. Garmin is in business to sell you expensive (and admittedly very good) boxes, and then capitalize on that by making sure you buy their expensive and necessary subscriptions, too, for both data and Garmin Pilot. I guess it's a good, profitable business model, and since it's all "in-house" they have an easier time assuring everything talks to each other nicely, but as a consumer it bugs me. I went w/ a Stratus ESG and homebuilt Stratux as my ADSB/transponder solution for that reason. RIght now, there's nothing Garmin in my plane. However, I'm looking for a GPS navigator, and the Garmin GPS 175 seems to be about the ONLY one I can almost afford. Avidyne looks great and would be an option if it wasn't out of my price range. Should probably put in a second COM, too, which might mean going for a GNC 355... sigh... would LOVE to stay away from Garmin, but I'm not sure I can afford to.

OP.. did you try iFlyGPS, too, before you selected FlyQ? If so, what did you like better about FlyQ?

I did not try iFlyGPS. Tried FF, WingX, and FltPlan GO, and found FLyQ to be the best for me.

As I’ve stated, I really like FlyQ and also have a lifetime subscription. But if I didn’t have a competent GPS navigator in my plane, I can definitely understand the draw a Garmin 375 would have coupled with ADS-B at a not too outrageous price. So I sympathize with the compromises that we each need to make it all work the closest to the way we want.

I'm a FlyQ fan also. When I did a panel upgrade earlier this year I came very close to doing Garmin equipment but the proprietary communication aspect is what turned me off.

Of all the avionics upgrades that I've done in my plane, the one I regret the most is the GTX 345. Not that it isn't a good ADS-b solution, but it makes it very difficult for future upgrades in you don't want to do all Garmin, including your EFB. If I could turn back time I'd choose the Lynx NGT 9000.

As it is I keep a VFR subscription to Garmin Pilot for ADS-b traffic and weather, plus I prefer it's log book. And an IRF subscription to FlyQ, because it was fairly cheap and I wanted to see if I could eventually cancel my Garmin Pilot subscription. I have a couple years left on it, we'll see if I keep it.

Agreed. But even when you take the Garmin aspect out, this is yet another short sighted company that thinks iPad is the only thing out there. Now a majority of GA pilots may use Apple Products as of now but, almost 90% of the world is on Android. I being one of them. I will never own an Apple product. Ever. Foreflight lost my business and so will FlyQ for that simple reason. Multi million dollar companies that refuse to cross platform their products are begging me to ignore them. Mission accomplished.

Agreed. But even when you take the Garmin aspect out, this is yet another short sighted company that thinks iPad is the only thing out there. Now a majority of GA pilots may use Apple Products as of now but, almost 90% of the world is on Android. I being one of them. I will never own an Apple product. Ever. Foreflight lost my business and so will FlyQ for that simple reason. Multi million dollar companies that refuse to cross platform their products are begging me to ignore them. Mission accomplished.
I guess I'm not as religious as you.

Android phone. iPad. Android tablet. EFBs for all of them.

I am a die hard Android user! Android phone and tablets, but I've had to have Ipads for work. All my work apps are only available on IOS. I tried using Garmin Pilot on a Samsung tablet for about a year, but it was just so unstable! Eventually I gave up and switched to an Ipad with Garmin Pilot. Much more stable, better UI, and all the new features come to IOS before the Android version. To me it just doesn't seem like they put the same resources in the Android version as they do the IOS.

Just my experience with the two, your mileage may vary.

I am a die hard Android user! Android phone and tablets, but I've had to have Ipads for work. All my work apps are only available on IOS. I tried using Garmin Pilot on a Samsung tablet for about a year, but it was just so unstable! Eventually I gave up and switched to an Ipad with Garmin Pilot. Much more stable, better UI, and all the new features come to IOS before the Android version. To me it just doesn't seem like they put the same resources in the Android version as they do the IOS.

Just my experience with the two, your mileage may vary.

You are right about Garmin Pilot not quite up to their IOS version but it's close enough for me. It connects seamlessly with my G3X's and my GTN. I have had no issues with stability though. I have it on my Note 10+ and a Huawei Tablet. Garmin is smart. They do the IOS 1st because as mentioned earlier most GA pilots are on Apple. But I believe the tide will turn. My point is this...If you are an iPhone lover by all means get an IOS app to use. The majority of the world is not an iPhone lover though. And I'm with the majority.

Same goes for computers. The majority of the world is on PC's not Apple. The sound recording applications that were at one time only available for Apple are now on PC. The ones that didn't accommodate the majority are out of business. (I used to be in that business) Recording Studios are in the sever minority of those software needs. Same goes for art and video programs. Those that didn't offer for PC users are now either gone out of business or are close to it.

Now that Mega Company Boeing has acquired Foreflight, if they don't go after Android business they are tossing millions out the window. I have talked to a few APP Programmers and asked how hard it is to cross platform any app. They told me it was a matter of "tweeks" once the 1st one was done. Just my opinion. Has nothing to do with religion....

One thing I should have added to my post, it's been about 2 yrs since I used Garmin Pilot with an Android tablet, so it may be more stable now. May have been the version I was on at the time.

For me I had to have an Ipad for work anyway, so to just add the Garmin Pilot app to my Ipad and use it on there was fine. I've never "bought in" to the IOS ecosystem, I've always felt it's over priced.

New
What does religion have to do with my comment? I guess I'm not from Uranus.

Five posts and he is already converting us to Android like the rest of the world cause he is an influencer who knows what companies should do.

New
What does religion have to do with my comment? I guess I'm not from Uranus.
That's just me. When people start saying things like "I will never own an Apple product. Ever," it just sounds the same to me as people convinced their religion (or for that matter their political viewpoint) is the one true one and all the others are fakes and have no validity.

I guess I'm not as religious as you.

Five posts in and already posting helpful responses such as this? Wow.

Rgbeard... in, defense of @BlueDream , he was responding to snark, not instigating it. Midlifeflyer's post got under my skin, too... BlueDream gave a strong opinion about his dislike for Apple and companies that don't support cross platform use, and the logic behind his viewpoint. In response, his opinions were insinuated to be religious in nature, which one could infer also meant that being religious could be equated with being irrational and of lesser intelligence, which is incredibly offensive to me.

Snark is not attractive, but the return of it was definitely earned by the original snarker, @midlifeflyer .

Sigh. Can't we just discuss opinions and the rationale behind them without having to belittle each other?

Last edited:
Rgbeard... in, defense of @BlueDream , he was responding to snark, not instigating it. Midlifeflyer's post got under my skin, too... BlueDream gave a strong opinion about his dislike for Apple and companies that don't support cross platform use, and the logic behind his viewpoint. In response, his opinions were insinuated to be religious in nature, which one could infer also meant that being religious could be equated with being irrational and of lesser intelligence, which is incredibly offensive to me.

Snark is not attractive, but the return of it was definitely earned by the original snarker, @midlifeflyer .

Sigh. Can't we just discuss opinions and the rationale behind them without having to belittle each other?

One could infer that you inferred too much. Now you feel the need to defend a five-poster who has already overstepped the bounds of decorum.

One could infer that you inferred too much.
Entirely possible... and I hope so.

Now you feel the need to defend a five-poster who has already overstepped the bounds of decorum.

Being a 10,000 poster, a 20,000 poster, or a 5-poster shouldn't change bounds of decorum. The "5-poster" in question is much farther INSIDE the bounds of decorum than many posts by some of our resident mega posters. Just the way it looked to me. I'm sure the 5-poster didn't require my defense. A few folks here seem to find the need to belittle and humiliate others in order to get their opinions and views across, and I find that quite ugly and unfortunate, especially because sometimes they are actually making valid points and it makes accepting their viewpoints all the more difficult for me because they come across as objectionable people. Labeling or belittling someone because you disagree with their viewpoints isn't necessary nor productive. Feel strongly that they are wrong? Great... attack the viewpoint, and hopefully illustrate that your viewpoint is more logical and more based upon fact. Don't attack the person.

That's all.

Entirely possible... and I hope so.

Being a 10,000 poster, a 20,000 poster, or a 5-poster shouldn't change bounds of decorum. The "5-poster" in question is much farther INSIDE the bounds of decorum than many posts by some of our resident mega posters. Just the way it looked to me. I'm sure the 5-poster didn't require my defense. A few folks here seem to find the need to belittle and humiliate others in order to get their opinions and views across, and I find that quite ugly and unfortunate, especially because sometimes they are actually making valid points and it makes accepting their viewpoints all the more difficult for me because they come across as objectionable people. Labeling or belittling someone because you disagree with their viewpoints isn't necessary nor productive. Feel strongly that they are wrong? Great... attack the viewpoint, and hopefully illustrate that your viewpoint is more logical and more based upon fact. Don't attack the person.

That's all.

At least we agree on little.

I don't mean to sidetrack the the discussion but... :)
I've used FlyQ for several years as an IFR tool and it does everything I need. Of course, I never fly with twenty leg plans so being able to transfer plans just isn't that big a deal for me. Oops, sorry for the snarky comment :->

I don't mean to sidetrack the the discussion but... :)
I've used FlyQ for several years as an IFR tool and it does everything I need. Of course, I never fly with twenty leg plans so being able to transfer plans just isn't that big a deal for me. Oops, sorry for the snarky comment :->
Not snarky at all. That’s a great observation. I’ve never been that impressed with the ability to transfer multi-leg plans. I can see how it can save some time but I feel more in touch with a flight after putting in the few twists of the knobs and small extra time required. Twisting all the knobs were just fine for my multi-leg to Alaska and back.

Five posts and he is already converting us to Android like the rest of the world cause he is an influencer who knows what companies should do.

I can't help but wonder how you can fly a plane....Not once did I tell anyone what to use. Do you own a lawn mower repair business or something? Where real business decisions aren't necessarily required? You have posted what...330 times against my 5 and this makes you special? Smart? And you think that's the basis for insulting me? I say I spend more time flying and running my business than you do. You have too much time on your hands for your age. Get your Apple out and go flying....You can use a toaster as far as I'm concerned. I won't own one of those either. I also won't tell you to stop voting Democrat.

To those defending my comments, thank you. But, snark and ignorance the inability to grasp someone else's opinions are things I've learned over the years to shrug off. Like gnats. I guess this makes 6 posts now. I'm on my way to becoming a God.

I've been flying with foreflight and flyq. Flyq has completely crashed and left me on the home screen a half dozen times since I subscribed in April. I think the design language of foreflight is the one to beat but flyq is close. I prefer using flyq but those crashes are very annoying. Another crash and I'm going to trial some other apps.

I'll just add Garmin to my hate list. I'm already an Apple hater.

Tragic coincidence since I grew up in Cupertino. I kinda like Olathe, though...

I've been flying with foreflight and flyq. Flyq has completely crashed and left me on the home screen a half dozen times since I subscribed in April. I think the design language of foreflight is the one to beat but flyq is close. I prefer using flyq but those crashes are very annoying. Another crash and I'm going to trial some other apps.
That's a gorgeous dog you have there.

Back