STCs for windows

Brian Priest

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Priest
Good afternoon all. I am curious if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am looking into the possibility of getting a window mod on a piper that will allow for a bigger opening to allow a photographer to take pictures out of.

Basically I would like to acquire a Saratoga or lance (something like that) and have a photographer sit in the back and take pictures through a sliding (or something similar) window opening.

If I cannot do that, is it legal to take the rear passenger door off and fly?

Thanx much
Brian

Bonanza (at least some models). Fly with rear door off. There's one of the more popular Youtubers who did this to photograph another Bo and maybe a jet but I forget.

Hmmm I’ll have to look into that. Thanx for the reply

allow a photographer to take pictures out of.
Why not talk to an experienced aircraft photographer? Have seen many pics taken without the need for enlarged windows. A member here (Lowflynjack) does it regularly. Perhaps ask him?

I would be surprised if the PA32 series was not approved for flight with the rear door removed. But I'm not a Piper expert.

I know most 100 and 200 series Cessnas can be flown without the passenger door, or with the rear baggage door removed.

C.

@Bell206 Ya I have a friend that does a good bit of photography. He is also a pilot. We would like to own a plane. Usually we fly a 182. It’s a good plane for what we do. However I don’t think it will satisfy 80% of the mission I would like to do. A high performance retract will. So can I split the difference? Basically have a great plane but have windows in the back that can slide open. That way we can get the shots without getting a window in the scene.

I shoot out of a 182 all the time. I have taken the door off, but it’s not necessary. I routinely use a 170. You can fly with the rear doors off of an A-36 Bonanza and any of the Pipers with the double doors in the back. My friend’s Lance made a very nice photo platform. I believe it was limited to 140 knots with doors off.

I also shoot from the EAA’s 210. It’s an older one which doesn’t have struts, but still has the large baggage door. We remove the baggage door and the back seats. Not as comfortable as the Lance, but still a nice plane to shoot from.

Very good to know. That really helps. I like the lances. I’m glad to hear they will make for a good platform, thank you for your input!!
Brian

Here is the video I was thinking of. The photo shoot with the Bonanza rear door removed starts around 14:16

For general use, this site lists all the approved STCs for every aircraft, courtesy of BradZ in 2017 via Google. Many search options. Or you can remove the rear door.

Personal experience, I don't like shooting out of low wing airplanes for any photography involving the ground. It just seem like a wing is always in the way. Obviously for air to air it works.

Very cool video.

Back