Welcome to Bendix-King (AKA The New Narco)

SbestCFII

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFII Scott - The IFR Coach
A Cautionary tale...

When I started flying, the avionics available were pretty basic in the GA planes I flew in training and after receiving my PPL. I flew BE77 Skippers, C-150s, Piper Warriors and C-172s from the FBOs at KILM (Wilmington, NC). I used ARC/Sperry, Narco, and Collins "Proline," but at that time (Think 1990-1991), Bendix-King was the "Mac-daddy" of the US General Avionics industry.

My favorite training and rental plane was a Skipper. It was decked out for it's day, with the KMA24 Audio panel with Markers, dual KX-155 NavComs (one with glideslope), a KNS-80 RNAV unit (sweet in the pre-LORAN/GPS era), and an ADF receiver. It was a great plane in 1991.

Flash forward to 2003, I now owned a PA-28-140E and had upgraded this plane from the bare basics, to a Garmin GMA-340, a KLN-89b GPS (approach certified), and dual KX-155 radios (one GS) and an AT-155 transponder from Narco, the last unit they had with surface mount technology before swithcing to the AT-165 units before they went bust. I later upgraded to the KLN-94 GPS, but soon found out that Bendix-King decided not to offer a WAAS upgrade path, which was the beginning of BK's abandonment of the GA market.

Since then, Garmin has owned GA. Avidyne finally got to the market with their IFD units, but they were glitchy early on and are not really a major player. BK has half-heartedly played with their KSN-770, but it's really not much, and Garmin continues to march forward with more and better equipment. Still, I held some hope that BK would march back to excellence, but this was not to be, and that should have been clear to all when they decided to stop supporting their industry-standard KX-155 series NavComs. All down-hill from there.

I did decide to give them another try, buying their KT-74 transmitter that could provide ADS-B out from a suitable WAAS GPS source. The unit (actually manufactured by Trig Avionics with BK faceplate) looked state of the art. My shop married it to my GNS430W and I had ADS-B. I hoped BK would take another step, like fixing their ill-fated KSN-770 or something new. This leads me to the rest of the story.

I was flying IFR from KJNX to KMQI when I noticed that my KT-74 code was changing from the code ATC gave me to 2-2-2-2. The problem seems simple enough, it's a stuck #2 button. Otherwise the unit worked fine. I took the unit to my shop and eventually they informed be that the unit has to go back to the factory for the repair of one stuck button. The told me Bendix-King had a flat-rate repair charge of $900 and change. I know, that's pretty nasty for a minot problem, but $900 is less that paying $2500 for a new transponder, so I said Ok and off the unit went to BK in September (2019). It gets worse from there.

When the unit was evaluated by BK, they jacked up their repair fee to just shy of $1200. No explanation, just a statement that they don't honor their flat repair fee (and remember that this just is a stuck button). They did give me two other options though, as follows:

1) They can return the unit to me unrepaired and uncertified for $581 (give or take a dollar), or

2) They can graciously scarp the unit on site and still charge me the $581. Since I don't ever pay anyone for doing nothing, I chose to accept the (around) $1200 number, since it's still half the cost of a new transponder. Today is October 30th and I still don't have my transponder. You can't actually talk to anyone at BK. The shop was able to get a hold of a sale rep, but he couldn't explain the issue and personally told the shop (I don't have any idea what those guys are doing...sorry).

Anyway, with an instrument student arriving for training, I bought a new KT-74 from Gulf Coast avionics (at substantially less than retail) had the unit overnighted to me and had the shop configure and certify the unit, all in under 24 hours. That is service, something that BK apparently no longer knows anything about. Those guys in Kansas can kiss my grits. They should really just change their name from Bendix-King, to Bendix-King, we're "The New Narco."

Roger Scott Best, CFI/CFII
OBXFLIGHT LLC (Accelerated IFR Programs)
2220 Cushendun Lane
Garner, NC 27529
(919) 270-0933

PS: If this post serves to dissuade even one person from buying almsy any avionics product from Bendix-King, then they will have lost more money from that one sale that Bendix-King is trying to screw me over for. Please share. Save yourselves from my bad experience.

Wow. I know of no other industry where this kind of thing happens, but it’s like some of the GA manufactuers almost enjoy going out of their way to Make people miserable. I can’t believe you bought a second one of their unit - support some of the new players that don’t engage in this kind of BS.

$581 to return? I would have had steam coming out of my ears.

Garmin isn't any better. When my Garmin Audio Panel went tango uniform there was no expedited AOG service or loaner unit or anything. They were happy to sell me a new one that they'd fedex out overnight. That was the last Garmin anything I'll install in my panel.

The KT74 was on my short list for a low price from PCA if the TailBeacon didn’t come to fruition fast enough. I may have dodged a bullet and definitely saved some money on the install.

A Cautionary tale...

Avidyne finally got to the market with their IFD units, but they were glitchy early on and are not really a major player.

I don't know what you mean by "...glitchy early on..."; I've had mine (an IFD440) since they first rolled-out, and it has been rock solid. Support has been excellent, as well. A big part of my choice to buy was the experience of one of my A&P mentors, who was an early-adopter of the IFD540 (among the very first shipped), and it has been excellent, as well.

BK has half-heartedly played with their KSN-770, but it's really not much, and Garmin continues to march forward with more and better equipment.

Yep - if BK had delivered on the 770 when they first promised it, they'd have won the war (so to speak). As it was, they had to have Aspen redesign it to get it certified and, apparently, it's a pretty decent box. All nineteen users agree! ;-)

Still, I held some hope that BK would march back to excellence, but this was not to be, and that should have been clear to all when they decided to stop supporting their industry-standard KX-155 series NavComs. All down-hill from there.

Absolutely - their decision to withdraw field repair rights from long-loyal dealers/Repair Stations was bad enough; their cancellation of dealer agreements with most of their established dealers was incomprehensible. Just... wow.

I did decide to give them another try, buying their KT-74 transmitter that could provide ADS-B out from a suitable WAAS GPS source. The unit (actually manufactured by Trig Avionics with BK faceplate) looked state of the art. My shop married it to my GNS430W and I had ADS-B. I hoped BK would take another step, like fixing their ill-fated KSN-770 or something new. This leads me to the rest of the story.

I was flying IFR from KJNX to KMQI when I noticed that my KT-74 code was changing from the code ATC gave me to 2-2-2-2. The problem seems simple enough, it's a stuck #2 button. Otherwise the unit worked fine. I took the unit to my shop and eventually they informed be that the unit has to go back to the factory for the repair of one stuck button. The told me Bendix-King had a flat-rate repair charge of $900 and change. I know, that's pretty nasty for a minot problem, but $900 is less that paying $2500 for a new transponder, so I said Ok and off the unit went to BK in September (2019). It gets worse from there.

When the unit was evaluated by BK, they jacked up their repair fee to just shy of $1200. No explanation, just a statement that they don't honor their flat repair fee (and remember that this just is a stuck button). They did give me two other options though, as follows:

1) They can return the unit to me unrepaired and uncertified for $581 (give or take a dollar), or

2) They can graciously scarp the unit on site and still charge me the $581. Since I don't ever pay anyone for doing nothing, I chose to accept the (around) $1200 number, since it's still half the cost of a new transponder. Today is October 30th and I still don't have my transponder. You can't actually talk to anyone at BK. The shop was able to get a hold of a sale rep, but he couldn't explain the issue and personally told the shop (I don't have any idea what those guys are doing...sorry).

Anyway, with an instrument student arriving for training, I bought a new KT-74 from Gulf Coast avionics (at substantially less than retail) had the unit overnighted to me and had the shop configure and certify the unit, all in under 24 hours. That is service, something that BK apparently no longer knows anything about. Those guys in Kansas can kiss my grits. They should really just change their name from Bendix-King, to Bendix-King, we're "The New Narco."

Heavy Sigh.

Talking to them at OSH, I believe that they are serious about trying to become relevant again - but tone-deaf about how to do it. Not hopeful.

Some rays of hope, of course: Avidyne is continuing to sell well, and I hope they'll also continue their owner-friendly policies. I'm very happy with mine (BTW, I have an Avidyne AXP340, also a Trig-manufactured unit - I hope it stays robust, but if it breaks, I bet Avidyne will not tool me like BK did you).

Dynon is innovating well, and I expect more from them.

BK's fall from a paragon of avionics suppliers to a joke is both breathtaking and disheartening. You want a really disheartening experience? Try finding something on their website.

Did you know you can buy a brand new KCS55A system from Bendix King. For the low price of $31,140.00.
If you want an autopilot for a 58 Baron or 36 Bonanza, a mere $50,000
Need a new KEA130A altimeter? A misery $10,810.00

These numbers are straight from the 2019 price book. Its like they don't want to sell radios.

We just sent out four packages last week with parts that failed after 25 years or so in service. All we asked is a self-addressed box/padded envelope big enough to hold the parts. And, since the guy built it himself, he had the knowledge to repair it himself. Yes, our parts warranty is 2 years, but for a 50 cent part, what the hell. They go for free. Always have. Always will. Except the fellow that calls and demands a free new part after 25 years. FULL LIST PRICE.

THe benefits of DIY.

Jim

Back