Thinking about a Blimp

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Ted's post reminded me about a time when I was thinking about a blimp.

I am a little annoyed that I can't just go out and take a blimp lesson.
You must have a CPL and then get hired by a blimp company to get trained on blimpmenship.

I wanted to start with getting my BPL and then start a reality series "Blimp Battle" whereby two blimps would line up pointed at one another a mile apart then go full throttle and then have a head on bollision (Blimp Collision). Loser is the one that gets back to the line of blimmage (blimp scrimmage) last.

It would be like watching a mid air in slow motion and I am guessing the worst thing that would happen is one would bounce backwards.

People would come from all around with their customized dirigibles and go head to head in a 1 on 1 battle for the chance to duke it out in the final round where 2 blimps would meet nose to nose in the N Texas area, not moving then fire up their engines in a Blumo (Blimp Sumo) match. They push each other backwards and whomever can push their opponent into Oklahoma wins.

We would also have Blimp tug of war, Blormation flying contests, Blairobatics, Bly diving, and a full on blairshow.

I guess its not meant to be though.

Anyone here got a blimp and want to take me for a ride?
Also would would happen if 2 blimps had a mid air?

Does someone who rents out blimps get to be called the pimp of blimps?

A couple of simple mods to Ted's Cobra, and done.

CHITTY-CHITTY-BANG-BANG-1968-e1459336249911.jpg

Apparently, the designers at some toy companies have competitions to design the most dangerous toys.

About 30 years ago, David Letterman had some of these on his show...believe they were Mattel engineers.

One example: "Baby's First Sawblade Shooter," which flung a blade from a circular saw like a frisbee.

They also had 'Battling Blimps,' two RC blimps. They used hydrogen. Each had a pole on the front. With a burning candle....

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Apparently, the designers at some toy companies have competitions to design the most dangerous toys.

About 30 years ago, David Letterman had some of these on his show...believe they were Matell engineers.
Found a clip online. The blimps are at the end, about six minutes in.

A different one....

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:

About 30 years ago, David Letterman had some of these on his show...believe they were Mattel engineers.

One example: "Baby's First Sawblade Shooter," which flung a blade from a circular saw like a frisbee.

They also had 'Battling Blimps,' two RC blimps. They used hydrogen. Each had a pole on the front. With a burning candle....

Ron Wanttaja

Doesn't surprise me at all. I'd hope those designers have a sense of humor like the rest of us.

Add a BRS....which is BlimpRecoverSystem...which is actually just another blimp stored inside :)

Also what would happen if 2 blimps had a mid air?
Duh...Blimplosion.

If you can swing it I think there should be no N-Numbers, just names. Not sure if the Germans should be allowed.

Could give STOL competitions a whole new meaning.

She stared in amazement. "Oh my, that is so huge! If only it could..."

"Yeah, yeah yeah. It's blimp."

You could get the monkey back and take it for a ride. Chimp in a blimp. And if he rents it out he would be Chimp the pimp with a blimp.
Speaking of Monkey.... He's been hanging with me ever since my summer trip to NC where MidLife Mark foisted him on me.

He will be with me on my CPL check ride in 10 days. But after that, he needs to move on to the next sucker PoA pilot.

I at at one of these places a few times.... does this count as meaningful addition to the conversation?

61OW78uvt9L._SX425_.jpg

Wow. An absolutely amazing level of, uh, discourse in this thread. 6PC, you are the Champion Instigator. I'm sending a case of scotch to your family so they can survive the holidays with you.
Terrific stuff!

David Letterman
Growing up his show was the best, favorite late night comedian. Some of his skits were so ridiculous, I particularly enjoyed

Is This Anything
Will It Float
Grinder Girl (who, incidentally, started on Is This Anything)

Ted's post reminded me about a time when I was thinking about a blimp.

I am a little annoyed that I can't just go out and take a blimp lesson.

Well, after you solve this problem, and I'm sure you will, I'll look forward to your new threads, maybe like these:
  • Bought a new blimp, no thinking required
  • Bought my wife a Goodyear N1A
  • Bought my wife a Goodyear N2A

Just admit it Bryan, you really want the blimp so you can up your embarrass yourself teenage son game to a whole new level by flying it over his sporting events advertising FiveFlight and your YT channel.

Growing up his show was the best, favorite late night comedian. Some of his skits were so ridiculous, I particularly enjoyed

Is This Anything
Will It Float
Grinder Girl (who, incidentally, started on Is This Anything)

Also Stupid human tricks.

Who remembers WAAAAAY back when David had those cannons behind his desk that would launch random crap when he was in the mood.

And Larry Bud Melman!

Dave was the best.

Well, stop thinking and start doing! (Says a guy that actually wants a blimp AND a hot-air balloon but knows it's pretty unlikely to happen).

I did get asked one time on very short, strange notice to help take air-to-air photos of a vehicle. Turned out it was the Greenpeace hot air blimp, which was "interesting." If you Google "Greenpeace blimp Dallas" those photos were taken by the guy who insisted on taking his own photos. It was kind of funny because we didn't know who the shoot was for and honestly I think we could've given them better photos, but they were very particular about how things were done.

The Blimp Story...at the turn of the century, the Navy was testing non-ridgid airships which they called "Limp lifting devices" or "Limps" for short. They had two versions. When Limp A failed, the Navy selected B-limp.

I’ve got 5.8 hours of logged Blimp time in my log book. Back in the 90’s, the Skyship Indusries Airships, the Tommy Hilfinger, which became the FUJI Blimp, were fixtures in NY. Based at Floyd Bennett Field when in town I was able, due to my employment, fly with them on numerous occasions. When the pilots found they had a pilot on board, you were welcomed with open arms to have a seat. After my first try I found out why. Man o man, flying that thing is WORK, especially if it’s a tad breezy. You find yourself CONSTANTLY making corrections to maintain heading. And there is no power steering. I would think by now, the newer airships have some sort of autopilot, but back then it was all hands on.

At the suggestion of the Chief Pilot, on my second visit I started bringing my log book, which was endorsed, to show my limited progress. Nothing more but bragging rights, that I actually have logged Blimp time, not many others can say that, as mention previously. All in all, I enjoyed the experience, probably because I never had to land the thing...LOL

Ron Wanttaja
Awesome!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back