Sticky Cirrus Panel / How to de-gunk?

Worldwide trade

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WorldWiseTrade
2012 Cirrus panel is sticky to the touch. Any suggestions on cleaning and refurbishing?

Thanks in advance!

That’s a new one... What made it sticky? :confused:
Not sure, seems like it is degrading. Mechanic doing the annual said it is quite common.

Actually my Lightspeed headset control box had the same problem, whatever plastic material it is seems to degrade, especially with the FL heat.

Not sure, seems like it is degrading. Mechanic doing the annual said it is quite common.

Actually my Lightspeed headset control box had the same problem, whatever plastic material it is seems to degrade, especially with the FL heat.

Caused by skin oils from people touching the screen and or improperly cleaning.

Don't know if I'd do this to a Cirrus, but it's a common problem with that ersatz rubbery/leathery feeling coating popular with lots of electronic and automotive manufacturers these days. Parts of the dash and steering wheel control pads on our Mercedes got sticky and gross, so I took regular rubbing alcohol to it. After a good bit of rubbing and elbow grease, that crappy coating was gone and I was left with a smooth matte black underlying plastic or metal finish and no stickiness...preferred it to the original rubbery fel even when it was in GOOD condition.

If your panel is a big fat mess and you'd need to replace it anyway, it's certainly worth a try. Maybe do a small, semi-inconspicuous area first to see if you like it?

You should check out COPA, but I've seen suggestions of oven cleaner and repaint (this is for the soft-touch plastic panels).

For hazy screens, I forget what people have done (absolutely NOT oven cleaner), but removing the anti-glare coating can make a huge difference.

Scott

Back