Looks bad

Cessna 414 according to the FAA. RIP.

Is it just me or do the 4xx series Cessna Twins have a higher accident rate than the fleet average. It just seems like we hear of 414's down more often than other types. Of course what's missing from the early info might be just how busy and how many successful flights this very plane and/or pilots have made.

Also very sad. Crashing into a house with no access to any survivors not to mention anyone in the homes.

Usually when we read about these it’s in the T/O phase of flight. This was pretty far in. glad nobody hurt on ground I guess. Will be curious if they were talking to ATC about any issues

Does anyone have a METAR for LDJ at the approximate time of the accident, 11 am EDT local /1500Z?

Said they found the airframe in the basement! Yeah, that’s not good when your plane ends up all the way in the basement.

8DD959CF-49D3-44CC-A5FA-BD6EAECAF753.png

That is an interesting approach. You fly down to MAP and need to look 50 degrees to the right to find the runway. Never saw a GPS approach with a turn like that at the MAP.
If you never flew it before and did a crappy job briefing the approach could really get yourself in a jam in Low ceiling and low vis.

View attachment 79101

That is an interesting approach. You fly down to MAP and need to look 50 degrees to the right to find the runway. Never saw a GPS approach with a turn like that at the MAP.
If you never flew it before and did a crappy job briefing the approach could really get yourself in a jam in Low ceiling and low vis.

It has a “fly visual” segment. You don’t have to have the airport in sight at the MAP. You do have to be able navigate visually to the airport though. There are other Approaches like this.

The approach for KVNY is similar, and requires a turn that's almost 90°.

The approach for KVNY is similar, and requires a turn that's almost 90°.

If you’ve made it to the MAP without seeing the airport you’ll have to ‘look’ 90 degrees(how did you get that little degree symbol) to see it. As far as turning 90 and landing, that could be tough, LDA-C or VOR-A. I think you’d be doing a lot more maneuvering than just 90 while circling to land. The Approach to LDJ is a whole different animal. At the MAP you don’t need to see the Airport. You can turn and fly to the airport by dead reckoning. All you need at BAUTZ is Clear of Clouds, 2 1/2 miles ‘flight’ visibility and visual contact with the ground.
Not a factor in this one though, he went down 1.2 miles before BAUTZ.

That we have three 414's that go straight down in some sort of stalled or LOC condition raises questions. Fleet problem or pilot training problem?

If you’ve made it to the MAP without seeing the airport you’ll have to ‘look’ 90 degrees(how did you get that little degree symbol?) to see it.

It's on the second page of numbers and symbols of my Android phone keyboard, and it's the default Chrome keyboard.

I've wanted a degree symbol for years, never could find one, and I was too lazy to input Alt+186 or whatever it is. In exchange, Google gets to know even more about everything I do. :D

I fly out of Linden (although I'm still a newbie there). Not an easy airport to see within all the industrial ground clutter even in the best of weather, let alone with low ceilings and a couple miles of viz.

I fly out of Linden (although I'm still a newbie there). Not an easy airport to see within all the industrial ground clutter even in the best of weather, let alone with low ceilings and a couple miles of viz.

Have you flown in there IFR? Do you know what the local custom is on cancelling? The controller said “...are you familiar with the cancellation procedures whenever you do break out.” What I’m wondering is if the regular customers cancel as soon as they get below controlled airspace, airport in sight or not?

Have you flown in there IFR? Do you know what the local custom is on cancelling? The controller said “...are you familiar with the cancellation procedures whenever you do break out.” What I’m wondering is if the regular customers cancel as soon as they get below controlled airspace, airport in sight or not?
I was looking at the AF/D as well as the approach plate and there’s nothing in there about that cancellation procedure

Sorry, I haven't. I limit my GA flying to good weather days, so I'm unsure what the culture is when it comes to operating in and out under IFR.

I'll talk to some of the other guys in the club and see what they say about it.

That we have three 414's that go straight down in some sort of stalled or LOC condition raises questions. Fleet problem or pilot training problem?

Cessna twins have been flying too long to suddenly develop a fleet problem. Back in the 60 and 70s folks were buying and flying twins and crashing regularly. Model specific training changed that.

(how did you get that little degree symbol) to see it

Press and hold the ALT key and type 0176 on the numeric keypad of your keyboard. Make sure the NumLock is on... If there is no numeric keypad, press and hold the Fn before typing the 0176 numbers.

It just seems that the planes with winglets are more prone to LOC like the Citation 525s with the Tamarack winglets that were all grounded recently.

It just seems that the planes with winglets are more prone to LOC like the Citation 525s with the Tamarack winglets that were all grounded recently.

That was due to a failure of the Tamarack active winglet control surfaces.

Back