Saw A Long EZ!

Stephen Poole

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Professor31
. . or one of the knock offs, at KCMD (Cullman, AL). Couldn't get close enough for photos.

Anyone here fly one? It's pretty cool-looking in the air, anyway!

I've always wanted one but most all of the ones I see up for sale look pretty ghetto and poorly equipped for what I want.

The Vari-Eze's can be had for short money, if and when they come up for sale. The Long Eze's are more, though they're also much more airplane. Fair warning, they need big runways. No flaps. Engine goes out it could be a deal if an airport isn't within gliding distance. Speed on final is in the triple digits, or at least so I've been told by owners. That's a lot of energy to dissipate in a crash, and the airframe is little more than fiberglass. All that said, the things can really glide. They're very slippery.

The DPE for my instrument checkride flew one into my home airport to give the ride. I remember thinking how awesome the plane was, and how cool it was that he flew this machine to me just to give some zit faced sh**head a checkride in a 172.

Amazing to think that was 20 years ago. Happy to say I’m not zit faced anymore! :p

Always liked the velocity,a little roomier than the EZ.

The Vari-Eze's can be had for short money, if and when they come up for sale. The Long Eze's are more, though they're also much more airplane. Fair warning, they need big runways. No flaps. Engine goes out it could be a deal if an airport isn't within gliding distance. Speed on final is in the triple digits, or at least so I've been told by owners. That's a lot of energy to dissipate in a crash, and the airframe is little more than fiberglass. All that said, the things can really glide. They're very slippery.

Surprisingly, all that foam and fiberglass absorbs a lot of energy in a crash. I was on scene when the amsoil/Ratan racer went in years ago, airframe shredded, and the pilot walked away.

Always liked the velocity,a little roomier than the EZ.

A lot roomier than either EZ since they’re only 2 seaters. A little bit roomier than a Cozy IV. As they say, there’s a reason why it’s called a “Cozy.” The Cozy has a few knots over a comparable Velocity but I prefer the looks of a Velocity.

Thought like to share this, although it's not near your area: Two weekends ago at Mojave, CA had a "Celebrating 40th Anniversary of the Rutan Long EZ" event. Lot's of EZs, Vari EZ and rocket EZ showed up. Here are some pictures. BTW, another common thing about EZ is that some EZs does not have electric system (hand propping), therefore, they are exempted from ADSB mandate.

upload_2019-10-29_23-18-23.png
upload_2019-10-29_23-18-46.png
upload_2019-10-29_23-19-5.png
upload_2019-10-29_23-19-44.png
upload_2019-10-29_23-20-1.png

The DPE for my instrument checkride flew one into my home airport to give the ride. I remember thinking how awesome the plane was, and how cool it was that he flew this machine to me just to give some zit faced sh**head a checkride in a 172.

Amazing to think that was 20 years ago. Happy to say I’m not zit faced anymore! :p
But the rest of the descriptor still applies... :D

I always thought the Cozys were a bit nutz. The CG is weird, if the pilot is flying solo he or she needs something heavy in the right seat, or the CG will be too far aft. Always thought that was a bit odd.

Thought like to share this, although it's not near your area: Two weekends ago at Mojave, CA had a "Celebrating 40th Anniversary of the Rutan Long EZ" event. Lot's of EZs, Vari EZ and rocket EZ showed up.
I did a photo shoot with a JetEZ a couple of years ago. It was pretty cool looking. Unfortunately plane and pilot were lost in a crash.
41054304282_94c9afd8a8_b.jpg

Actually built like tanks, hold up well in impacts, compared to aluminum spam cans. Still, not a great candidate for a good off-airport outcome, as the approach speed is relativley higher than most SEL fixed gear, has smallish wheels and a less robust nose gear. Some have a mod for a steel roll bar on the pilot's seat back. Fast, long legs, stable. Some have a replacement canard that is less squirrley in rain. A friend has owned and flown one for years.

Back