What do you do for living (or used to)?

Currently an Assistant Subordinate. Working on my Associate Subordinatship, and hopefully become a full fledged Subordinate in the near future.

Gotta have goals...

Some time in the semi-distant past, one of my direct reports filled out his review form with this plan for the next year: "Be promoted from minion to lackey"

@azblackbird human sludge? Is that legal fertilizer for food stocks?

Milorganite aside, I doubt the type of sludge he's talking about can be used on human-destined crops. I worked 27 years for Miami-Dade County Water and Sewer. We sold our sludge to sod farms. To be honest, I'm not even sure if we sold it or paid them to take it away as I think we never got the process right. This is digester sludge and is heavy with bacteria that digests organic materials in the sludge. Maybe an anaerobic bacteria that didn't survive the drying process? Wasn't really my field. Our sludge was dried in the sun and shipped off to the sod farms. I know it was tested for things like heavy metals and the sod farms had a certain limit on how much of these contaminants they could use per acre per year or something like that.

When I worked in industry I was an EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) engineer. Now that I'm retired (mostly) I still deal with EMC standards. I'm in Shanghai this week for standards committee meetings (one more to do this afternoon, then return home tomorrow). EMC is a great field if you like to get paid to play with radios and figure out why they are suffering interference from that computer in the lab. :D

I'm a private pilot (PP-ASEL IA) and an Extra class ham (N6TPT).

There is actually a thing called a gas-free engineer. Google it. Myself, I never achieved that for any length of time.

I help everyone figure out how to put airplanes together and fix minor issues when the assembly/parts don't work out just right. ASE doing the gopher job between our Eng group and Mfg. (Shhh--just don't tell them they are putting the tails on backwards, been like that for years and they haven't found out yet).

My childhood dream was to become a fighter pilot, but that wasn't to be. My childhood hobby was electronics, but that class was full when I started at my Voc/Tech High school, so I wound up in the Electrical shop. Over the next three years, I was taught by an amazing teacher, who was an ex-Navy Electrician. Residential, Single and Three phase motors, transformers, generators, PLCs, etc. During my junior and senior years, my school participated in a Work/Study program at Newark Airport, so my shop teacher picked his top two students to attend. The two of us would alternate days going to class and the airport to learn from the airport Industrial Electricians.

My buddy Carmen quit after a couple of weeks, because we weren't getting paid (his words). We got bus fare and lunch money. I stuck with it because... 1. I was more focused and serious about learning the trade.
2. I saw the value of the program and 3. I could get out of the school a few days a week and spend all day around airplanes, while learning the airport electrical system (4160VAC constant current-series circuit lighting, via isolation transformers).

Upon graduation, I applied for a job but hadn't heard back from them, so while working with a residential electrical contractor and getting frustrated with the job conditions and locations he would send us on, I decided to quit (with dad's approval of course, lol) and enroll in DeVry (Woodbridge, NJ), still in pursuit of the electronics skills/profession. After nearly two years in, guess who sends me a letter inviting me to join?

So, after debating with myself and discussing it with dad (who was in favor), I decided to drop out of DeVry and take the job as an Industrial Electrician (IBEW Local#3) at EWR & LGA (later at the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels). In 2000 I was promoted to Systems Controller managing 13KV, 480 and 277 volt equipment fed via two power authorities (Con Ed and PSE&G). I'm fortunate to not have to job hunt for the past 33 years and I could retire next year at age 55 with full pension, but I enjoy what I'm doing, so who knows ;).

I hope Carmen found that job :D.

PPL at TEB twenty years ago.
airfield light.png

Last edited:
I decided to drop out of DeVry and take the job as an Industrial Electrician (IBEW Local#3) at EWR & LGA (later at the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels). In 2000 I was promoted to Systems Controller managing 13KV, 480 and 277 volt equipment fed via two power authorities (Con Ed and PSE&G).

It's funny, I don't know you at all but I think about you every time I drive through one of the tunnels (usually the Battery for me).

It's funny, I don't know you at all but I think about you every time I drive through one of the tunnels (usually the Battery for me).
Funny you mentioned it, because I took a rare drive through that tunnel just yesterday.

That's the 'other' folks tunnel (MTA), lol. Seriously, they did an amazing rehab job on the Battery and Midtown tunnels, post hurricane Sandy!

Last edited:
I started working when I was 9 and haven't stopped since, although I did semi-retire about 10 years ago. Therefore, I've had many, many jobs, with several major (but gradual) career changes; and many more short-term jobs I took merely for the experience of doing something different for a while, with no intention of making careers out of them.

That's why I never doubted Henning when he talked of his many experiences. I always considered him a kindred spirit who had a career (in his case, two careers) to pay the bills, and many more jobs that he did more for the experience than the money.

Some highlights of my job history:

Childhood

First job (ages 9 to 12): Shipping Clerk (later Shipping Manager) at a sweatshop in Brooklyn.

Second job (ages 12 to 17, for two different employers): Bicycle / Moped / Minibike Mechanic.

Sidelines (ages 10 - 17): TV and Appliance Repairer, Window Washer, Car Tuner-Upper, Purchased Things Put-Togetherer, Dog Boarder.​

Adulthood

Military: Seaman / Rescue Swimmer / Boat Coxswain / Drug Interdicter / EMT

The following jobs overlapped considerably, mainly depending on demand, season, and how bored I was:

Pest Exterminator
Fumigator (Grain, Silos, Ships, Boxcars, and Buildings)
Mosquito and Rat Counter (seriously)
Wildlife Trapper and Relocator
Railroad Weed Control Technician
EVDO Installer
Antenna Tower Installer
Computer Technician
Web Developer​
Sidelines, Temporary Jobs, and Volunteer Jobs: Aircraft Mechanic, EMT / Paramedic, Outreach Worker for a church, Substance Abuse Counselor, STD Counselor, Fork Lift Operator, Folksinger, Stock Photographer, Videographer, Roadie, Carpenter / Cabinetmaker, Truck Driver, Cab Driver, Plow Driver.​

And probably other stuff that I'm forgetting.

For the past 20 years I've been doing mainly computer-related stuff. But I do like to try things out. There's a lot of interesting stuff out there. There's more than meets the eye to any job, no matter how simple it may appear.

If I were a child today, I'm sure I'd be diagnosed with ADHD. I've always looked for new experiences just for the sheer joy of it. Nowadays, they'd say that was because I was seeking to fight off the boredom of daily life and would give me a pill to kill my enthusiasm. But I say having a boring life is a choice. Go out and do something new if you're bored. Or take a pill and miss it all.

The interesting thing is that the mechanical, electrical, electronics, and avionics training I received in high school wound up being the most useful knowledge I ever learned. It was what enabled me to make a living during lean times, and to transition into IT relatively easily back when hardware knowledge was still the most important thing. It also has saved me many thousands of dollars by enabling me to fix most stuff myself.

College, in the end, turned out to be a huge waste of my time and Uncle Sam's money.

Rich
Damn! I guess I shouldn't have doubted Henning either LMAO :D

Once a full-time musician, then 31 years of full-time public-school and university music teaching (orchestral and jazz piano/improv/theory)/part-time musician, and now retired from the day gig and just playing the gigs I WANT to play. Full-time husband since 21 years old. Life is good. Own a '65 PA28-140 Cherokee and a Pearson 26 (kind of the nautical equivalent to the Cherokee... in about the same cosmetic condition). Love to take old things and make them better.

That’s why I started dating again after my wife of 50 years passed away 5 years ago.

Cheers

Hope my "like" wasn't taken to mean anything other than I'm glad you had 50 years together, and that you're also still open to sharing your life with another. Very glad you had had 50 years together.. I'm hoping for another 37 with my wife, and sure wish my parents had that opportunity. We lost my mother to cancer when she was in her 50s. God Bless, and cheers backatcha.

Damn! I guess I shouldn't have doubted Henning either LMAO :D

I must have been a really likable little kid because I wheedled my way into the lives of quite a few neighborhood men who did stuff that I found interesting.

Charlie was one of them. He was the warehouse manager at the sweatshop. I really don't know why that place fascinated me, but it did; and I regularly made a pest of myself there. One day Charlie sat me on a fork lift and showed me how to operate it, probably just to be nice to a neighborhood kid. Much to his surprise, it turned out I had a knack for it, so he hired me. Three years later, I was running the shipping department. It was a real hoot when substitute drivers rolled up looking for the shipping manager, and Charlie pointed to me. I was all of 12 years old by then.

I'd probably still be working there if the place hadn't shut down when the company offshored the manufacturing jobs. No coats being made meant no coats to ship. I wound up getting a job as a bicycle mechanic at Sepe's, a bicycle and toy store in Brooklyn, a few days later; and when I turned 14, I took a better-paying job doing the same thing at Time Square Stores, also in Brooklyn.

That was also kind of an interesting story. I actually went there to buy something or other bicycle-related that Sepe's didn't sell. I got into a conversation with the bicycle salesman, and George Seedman himself overheard. I didn't know it, of course, but George owned the joint. He had founded the company in 1929 and still ran it. He was in the Brooklyn store that day observing.

George was wearing a name tag that said simply "George;" but because he was in his 70's, when he walked over to talk to me I addressed him as "Mr. George." My parents would have slapped me across the mouth for addressing an elderly man by his first name without his permission. That's how things were back then. So it was Mr. George.

Mr. George was impressed enough with my bicycle knowledge and my respect that he offered me a job on the spot. But I was only 13, so we had to wait until I turned 14 and got my "working papers." I worked there from when I turned 14 until a few days before I left for Basic Training, and I called him "Mr. George" right up until I left. I liked him. He was a good man.

I also had some side hustles. I tuned cars, fixed things, put things together, or whatever for people in the neighborhood. I was a hyper kid who couldn't stay still, and my family lacked the money for things like summer camp or organized athletics. So I filled my hours with things that could make me some money.

A lot of people tell me that my story is very sad, especially the part about working in a sweatshop when I was 9. But in retrospect, that aspect of my life is one of the few that I wouldn't change at all if I could do it all over again. I never really talked to Henning about it, but I suspect that his story would be very similar to mine.

Rich

My dad was an electrician (and did plumbing, carpentry, A/C repair, etc.) He started taking me along on jobs when I was 10 or so. In my teens, I'd done enough car repairs that I started doing tune ups for folks for $30 (mid-1970s) which included points, condenser, cap, rotor and plugs. I enjoyed having a little cash and got to drive lots of different cars to test to work. I started writing software about the same time. I wrote an energy calculation program that the A/C contractors we rented office space form used to sell heat pumps. Then an accounting system. Then an electrical estimating system. I worked as a draftsman and electrical control designer for 6 months or so. Then got a job as a real software engineer writing software for automated test equipment and in-circuit emulators and never looked back.

I am extraordinarily grateful for the construction and general tool skills I learned from both my dad and my grandfather (a retired general contractor and carpenter). Even when I choose not to do the work, I can't be easily conned and can tell when somebody knows what they're talking about.

I must have been a really likable little kid because I wheedled my way into the lives of quite a few neighborhood men who did stuff that I found interesting.

Charlie was one of them. He was the warehouse manager at the sweatshop. I really don't know why that place fascinated me, but it did; and I regularly made a pest of myself there. One day Charlie sat me on a fork lift and showed me how to operate it, probably just to be nice to a neighborhood kid. Much to his surprise, it turned out I had a knack for it, so he hired me. Three years later, I was running the shipping department. It was a real hoot when substitute drivers rolled up looking for the shipping manager, and Charlie pointed to me. I was all of 12 years old by then.

I'd probably still be working there if the place hadn't shut down when the company offshored the manufacturing jobs. No coats being made meant no coats to ship. I wound up getting a job as a bicycle mechanic at Sepe's, a bicycle and toy store in Brooklyn, a few days later; and when I turned 14, I took a better-paying job doing the same thing at Time Square Stores, also in Brooklyn.

That was also kind of an interesting story. I actually went there to buy something or other bicycle-related that Sepe's didn't sell. I got into a conversation with the bicycle salesman, and George Seedman himself overheard. I didn't know it, of course, but George owned the joint. He had founded the company in 1929 and still ran it. He was in the Brooklyn store that day observing.

George was wearing a name tag that said simply "George;" but because he was in his 70's, when he walked over to talk to me I addressed him as "Mr. George." My parents would have slapped me across the mouth for addressing an elderly man by his first name without his permission. That's how things were back then. So it was Mr. George.

Mr. George was impressed enough with my bicycle knowledge and my respect that he offered me a job on the spot. But I was only 13, so we had to wait until I turned 14 and got my "working papers." I worked there from when I turned 14 until a few days before I left for Basic Training, and I called him "Mr. George" right up until I left. I liked him. He was a good man.

I also had some side hustles. I tuned cars, fixed things, put things together, or whatever for people in the neighborhood. I was a hyper kid who couldn't stay still, and my family lacked the money for things like summer camp or organized athletics. So I filled my hours with things that could make me some money.

A lot of people tell me that my story is very sad, especially the part about working in a sweatshop when I was 9. But in retrospect, that aspect of my life is one of the few that I wouldn't change at all if I could do it all over again. I never really talked to Henning about it, but I suspect that his story would be very similar to mine.

Rich

My experiences were very similar to yours, of all the jobs I have had I don't recall every applying or asking for a job, started working when I was 13 and haven't been unemployed a day since then. Damn I'm getting old.....

Avionics tech in the Navy for 22 years
Avionics/electrical tech at a major repair depot 4 years (got laid off right after 9/11 and went back to school)
Medical Imaging technologist 15 years (job sucks but pay and benefits is way better and I clock out at the end of the day)
In 5 months, I'll be a blissfully unemployed airport bum.

By training, I'm an EE, mostly because my school didn't have a CS program back in the day. I've spent most of my career doing high performance software of some sort, most lately satellite image analysis. I've been retired for a few years now.

Even when I choose not to do the work, I can't be easily conned and can tell when somebody knows what they're talking about.
Speaking of which... That's another thing that turned me off with my early experiences with residential electrical work and "some" of the contractors I met back then. Taking advantage of customers who were clueless about electrical work. I hated that **** and knew at 20 yrs old that I'd NEVER be a contractor if I had to do that to compete!

In fact, just a couple of years ago, a relative of mine in Queens was taken advantage of by a shady Electrical contractor, who did an 'upgrade' to the co-ops electric supply. After I inspected his work (he works with his son) a day or two after he made off with the cash, I was able to point out to my relative (a woman) that this joker only did part of what she paid him to do! She contacted him and informed him that her relative took a look at his work and determined that he didn't 'upgrade' a damn thing. He returned, refunded that portion of her money and took off.

Last edited:
B.S. Physics, Masters Comp. Science. Software developer for front-end, back-end, in-between systems. After >40 years, have done satellite control centers (GOES mainly), nuclear plant control centers, radar systems, law enforcement software, Email->SMS/MMS gateway, and some really cool stuff for TLA agencies. Never wanted to be a boss. Have done Sys. Admin in between programming when have a small staff on a contract. Pet peeve: meetings; "When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Could probably retire except need to pay for aviation addiction. Local flight school keeps asking me to get my commercial, ground instrument instructor.

By the way, you folks have fascinating careers. Would be great to all gather together over adult beverages and hear your stories.

Healthcare IT executive. I'm far removed from my system engineer and support days, but still love working with technology. It's also a far cry from my beginnings in law enforcement and the military, but after a stint as a Cold War tanker I moved into Combat Developments. That bridged me to IT, and I still see some of that early technology development work reflected in today's force. I hope it helped the young soldiers who followed us.

[snip] Pet peeve: meetings; "When all is said and done, more is said than done."
[snip]
I used to have a coffee mug with what looked like green bar paper printed with pseudo computer type font. It had a number of sayings on it but the highlighted one at the bottom said "If computers get too powerful, we will organize them into a committee-that will do them in." I am convinced that networking them was for this purpose...

I used to have a coffee mug with what looked like green bar paper printed with pseudo computer type font. It had a number of sayings on it but the highlighted one at the bottom said "If computers get too powerful, we will organize them into a committee-that will do them in." I am convinced that networking them was for this purpose...

That is pretty funny. As a side effect of networking them, we now have thin clients at our desk. Think back to the day...there was a single computer and we all had terminals to it. If the computer went down, we all went down. Then PCs came along and if the network went down, we could still keep working on our local boxes. Well, now with thin clients, when the network or VPN server goes down, we all go down. Yay for progress!!!

Attorney, predominantly representing trade contractors.

That is pretty funny. As a side effect of networking them, we now have thin clients at our desk. Think back to the day...there was a single computer and we all had terminals to it. If the computer went down, we all went down. Then PCs came along and if the network went down, we could still keep working on our local boxes. Well, now with thin clients, when the network or VPN server goes down, we all go down. Yay for progress!!!

Oh yeah. Figured that out in the late 80's. We all had computers but the data (in this case code) we worked on we shared on the file server. No network, limited work!

3270 terminal anyone?

Television engineer. Fix TV transmitters, etc. Retiring soon after 49 years in the business.

Began flying in 1976. Owned a TriPacer from 1980 to 2000. Have owned a Cherokee 180 since then. Strictly VFR.

http://pad39a.com/publishing/

Avionics tech in the Navy for 22 years

Wish we had more AT's serving that long and getting that smart. I know a number of ATC, ATCS and AVCM who have, but after PTS/ERB initiatives, so many great ones called it quits. Don't blame them.....they saw their mentors getting walked out the door, for no good reason other than another BUPERS good idea fairy.

Wish we had more AT's serving that long and getting that smart. I know a number of ATC, ATCS and AVCM who have, but after PTS/ERB initiatives, so many great ones called it quits. Don't blame them.....they saw their mentors getting walked out the door, for no good reason other than another BUPERS good idea fairy.

WAATA?? (what are all them acronyms)

ATC- Aviation Electronics Technician (Petty Officer)
ATCS-Aviation Electronics Technician
(Chief Petty Officer)
AVMC- Master Chief Avionics Technician

PTS (Perform to Serve) & ERB (Enlisted Retention Board) are tools the Navy uses to reduce over manned MOSs and either vol separate or transfer to a different MOS.

BUPERS- Bureau of Navy Personnel. Like military HR.

Back