Finally The End (I Hope) of a Crazy Year

Bulldog573

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Haven't been here much the last year; company relocated me back to Kansas City from Mid-Missouri a year ago this week. Since then it's been 2 moves (1 apartment, 1 house), the evacuation of my aircraft from Jefferson City due to flooding in the spring, weeks of flying back and forth on SWA to my "other" office, and generally keeping Mrs. Bulldog calm...

Fortunately, I've settled back into flying, we've settled into the new house, and work is as unsettling as it ever was. And now I'm enjoying reading the posts on PoA again.

Starting to feel normal!

Where'd you settle in KC?
We’re Northlanders, always have been. Landed between Barry and 152, east of Green Hills and west of Platte Purchase. Plane is at Mosby.

We were gone 7 years, a few things changed!

Welcome (back) to KC! Lots of us here on the south side.

I can relate to that.. Quit my job, got married, and relocated (also to KC) in about a 2 month period.

I have never been to KC. What are the highlights of being in KC? BBQ assume but is there more?
BBQ is huge...but the joys of KC include the Chiefs, the Royals, Sporting KC, Kansas Speedway, the Plaza Lights during the holidays, the National World War I Museum and Memorial (designated by Congress as the nation's official WWI museum), the Kaufmann Center for the Performing Arts, the American Royal Livestock/Horse Show/Rodeo (and BBQ contest!), and a re-vitalized downtown with a great concert venue (Sprint Center) and night life.

And if you just like life, there's lots of green space, sports fields, bike trails, and just people being people :)

Other KC folks, what did I miss?

BBQ is huge...but the joys of KC include the Chiefs, the Royals, Sporting KC, Kansas Speedway, the Plaza Lights during the holidays, the National World War I Museum and Memorial (designated by Congress as the nation's official WWI museum), the Kaufmann Center for the Performing Arts, the American Royal Livestock/Horse Show/Rodeo (and BBQ contest!), and a re-vitalized downtown with a great concert venue (Sprint Center) and night life.

And if you just like life, there's lots of green space, sports fields, bike trails, and just people being people :)

Well you circled around it, but the Power & Light District is a nice area that has been revitalized over the years and has a lot of nice restaurants/bars/venues.

I almost attended the Conservatory at UMKC. Only been there the one time for auditions. It has the second most fountains in the world (next to Rome) right?

Is this KC Missouri or Kansas. Is there a difference between the two or do they just blend together with few cultural distinctions ? Like I said, I have never been but it sounds intriguing.

I almost attended the Conservatory at UMKC. Only been there the one time for auditions. It has the second most fountains in the world (next to Rome) right?
Yes, Rome has more total fountains, but KC lays claim to the most functional water fountains in the world.

Is this KC Missouri or Kansas. Is there a difference between the two or do they just blend together with few cultural distinctions ? Like I said, I have never been but it sounds intriguing.
Kansas City, Missouri (KCMO) is the one you hear about most; Kansas City, Kansas (KCK) is just across the state line. There used to be a big difference, in my opinion, but development in the west of end of KCK has really been a boost for the whole area. Also of note are the Kansas-side cities of Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Olathe (home of Garmin), etc., which are truly economic powers and comprise some of the nicest locations in the metro. On the Missouri side, Lees Summit is Missouri's 6th largest city and has really grown the metro.

Kansas City really is a two-state metropolitan area that blends all these communities very well. I landed here when I was assigned to Ft. Leavenworth in 1988, and aside from that 7-year break that just ended, I'm still here. It impresses a kid from the middle of nowhere :).

Come visit us!

Kansas City, Missouri (KCMO) is the one you hear about most; Kansas City, Kansas (KCK) is just across the state line. There used to be a big difference, in my opinion, but development in the west of end of KCK has really been a boost for the whole area. Also of note are the Kansas-side cities of Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Olathe (home of Garmin), etc., which are truly economic powers and comprise some of the nicest locations in the metro. On the Missouri side, Lees Summit is Missouri's 6th largest city and has really grown the metro.

Kansas City really is a two-state metropolitan area that blends all these communities very well. I landed here when I was assigned to Ft. Leavenworth in 1988, and aside from that 7-year break that just ended, I'm still here. It impresses a kid from the middle of nowhere :).

Come visit us!

Overland Park has headquarters for Sprint, Black & Veatch, Wadell & Reed, YRC (major logistical service provider), and some significant others I'm sure I'm forgetting. I think if I were moving to the KC metro, I'd be as likely to be on the KS side as the MO side. Not a ton of reasons other than tax considerations to choose one or the other.

Overland Park has headquarters for Sprint, Black & Veatch, Wadell & Reed, YRC (major logistical service provider), and some significant others I'm sure I'm forgetting. I think if I were moving to the KC metro, I'd be as likely to be on the KS side as the MO side. Not a ton of reasons other than tax considerations to choose one or the other.

And Garmin is headquartered in Olathe. :)

The main thing I'd add to the great things about KC is that you can work in the KC area and live not too far away (time wise) and have whatever you want for the kind of living arrangements. Want to live in downtown? No problem. Want to live in the middle of nowhere (like we do)? No problem. Wonderful place to raise a family with lots of great things for kids. Property values (in my opinion) are currently in a bubble having gone up a quite a bit from when we moved here 4 years ago. However it's a really nice area to live.

Cons: It's hot and humid in the summer. Winters you get very little snow, mostly icy roads. It's cold but not an interesting winter. But the roads aren't salted that much so vehicles seem to hold up better than they do even one state north in Nebraska or Iowa. Still, I'd rather have more snow than we have and my wife surely wishes for it.

And Garmin is headquartered in Olathe. :)

The main thing I'd add to the great things about KC is that you can work in the KC area and live not too far away (time wise) and have whatever you want for the kind of living arrangements. Want to live in downtown? No problem. Want to live in the middle of nowhere (like we do)? No problem. Wonderful place to raise a family with lots of great things for kids. Property values (in my opinion) are currently in a bubble having gone up a quite a bit from when we moved here 4 years ago. However it's a really nice area to live.

Cons: It's hot and humid in the summer. Winters you get very little snow, mostly icy roads. It's cold but not an interesting winter. But the roads aren't salted that much so vehicles seem to hold up better than they do even one state north in Nebraska or Iowa. Still, I'd rather have more snow than we have and my wife surely wishes for it.

Yup. KC is very similar to Tulsa/OKC with regard to climate/living arrangements, but KC has almost double the population in the metro-area from Tulsa or OKC.

Back