Common Weather Contractions - Abbreviation Lookup Table

jpskies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jpskies
This morning when I see a sigmet published for northern California and I found an abbreviation that I was not familiar with. Instead of surf on some weather site with translator this time, I just google a look up table for all abbreviations so I can use it in the future.

Google took me to Navy's Aviation Student Guide PDF. It's a very good study material for aviation weather but the best is the complete table of all weather contractions in the appendix.

I copy it out and made it a Google sheet look up so I can carry it with me in my phone. I share this 335 rows :eek: Google sheet here. I may write a translator tab on this sheet later so you can just copy and paste a sentence and it translates it to you right a way.

Try look at column A and see how many of the contractions you can get with the proper meaning. It's a headache I can tell.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for formulating.

Curious what the stumper was??

uddfs >> updrafts and downdrafts

I got the translator working (see below under the "Translated"). Note that the lower case words are translated. Upper case words are the originals.
You can go to the Google sheet and click on File-> Make a copy. Then you can have this in your phone handy.
I used some of the functions only available in the Google Sheet (regular expression), therefore, it may not work if you download it
using Excel format.
upload_2019-10-28_21-6-2.png

ForeFlight does this automatically

But thanks for the link, I’ll check that pdf out

Ture, I was not on my ipad and was just exploring skyvector for some e-flying. That signet got me when I saw it pop up from the chart.

Back