Power outage/shutdown in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
NY is not losing population. Look at the last two ... censi? And then the estimated population for 2019. It has increased by 1.6 million in the last 19 years. This is a popular myth.

And for that matter, people love to hate NY and California, but they don't mind taking our money. We support half the country. Our taxes are what they are because we have to provide education, health care, infrastructure, and everything else for 25 other states with no taxes. They don't have their own taxes, they just mooch off ours.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I'll gladly pay what I pay to live in New York. I've lived in "freedom" states before, where the roads and schools suck and the only jobs are at IHOP.

You're alleging that your NY State taxes pay for other states education, health care and infrastructure?

... Our taxes are what they are because we have to provide education, health care, infrastructure, and everything else for 25 other states with no taxes. They don't have their own taxes, they just mooch off ours.

I’m curious of the source for your claim that 25 states have no taxes at all.

Particularly since there’s only nine without an income tax.

That's the new kind of maffs they teach folks in NYS. Yeah, it's the 10% of their state budget that funds SUNY that causes their nosebleed taxes, makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it.

Last edited:
I am so glad that people like New York New Jersey and Connecticut. Because you sure won’t want to live in North Carolina especially the eastern coast with the ocean. Hurricanes, mosquitoes, nasty backward thinking people, yeah you don’t want to move there.:fingerwag:

Where are you going to go?

-Skip

Looking at Wyoming, Idaho or state line Nevada. I prefer the mountains over the ocean even though I have friends that live in Saulsilito and Atherton which are beautiful, just to damn many people and everything else that goes on in Kalifornia. State line Nevada lake Tahoe area just over the kalifornia boarder looks nice, ain't cheap though.

Last edited:
You're alleging that your NY State taxes pay for other states education, health care and infrastructure?
I'm not alleging anything, it's a fact. New York has been paying more in federal taxes than it receives in federal spending for at least 50 years, and probably much longer than that.

And because I can already see the question coming: our federal taxes pay for half the country's crap, because they don't pay for it themselves. Because we have to pay for their crap and our crap, our state taxes are higher. Conversely, because we pay for their crap, their state taxes are lower. That's the short story.

Last edited:
I'm not alleging anything, it's a fact. New York has been paying more in federal taxes than it receives in federal spending for at least 50 years, and probably much longer than that.

And because I can already see the question coming: our federal taxes pay for half the country's crap, because they don't pay for it themselves. Because we have to pay for their crap and our crap, our state taxes are higher. Conversely, because we pay for their crap, their state taxes are lower. That's the short story.

I could post some funny meme or gif quoting the Billy Madison rant. I'll just shorten it to : wrong

I get the lure of CA life but like anything that gets too big it's getting out of control. The state really does need to be divided. As to the OP, a good friend of mine was in the same situation in Louisiana when one of the hurricanes came through. They own several grocery stores in the area that were without power for days. They tried to save the meat but ultimately offered it up to the community for free when the freezer temps approached non selling territory. I think their insurance helped offset the losses.

How many states' budgets are in the red without the feds (ie NY, NJ, CT, California, etc.) kicking in? It was 2/3's last I checked.

There is more than one way to look at these things.

I could post some funny meme or gif quoting the Billy Madison rant. I'll just shorten it to : wrong
He’s not at all wrong that NY sends more in federal tax dollars than it receives.

https://rockinst.org/issue-area/new-yorks-balance-of-payments-with-the-federal-government/

https://rockinst.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1-7-19b-Balance-of-Payments.pdf

In fact, only 10 states pay more than they receive, the remainder receiving more than they pay. Most of the traditionally high tax states (NJ, MA, NY, CT, IL) all pay substantially more than they receive. California is right basically neutral on that scale. That is not to say that these higher tax states can attribute all that to federal income deficits but just saying he is not wrong on the facts of paying more.

The other thing is that there are several states with income taxes that receive enormous portions of the annual state budgets from the feds. Louisiana and Mississippi both have income taxes and both gets over 40% of their state budgets from DC. Those are just two examples.

How many states' budgets are in the red without the feds (ie NY, NJ, CT, California, etc.) kicking in? It was 2/3's last I checked.

There is more than one way to look at these things.

It looks like many states have a spending problem plain and simple....

Much of the money states receive by the feds is for things they have to provide by statute. Medicaid, SCHP, TANF, transportation etc. It's not like Mississippi gets a check and spends it on candy.

I am so happy I moved out of cali back in June. It has gotten so crazy there,
I relocated to a harsh weather state and I am enjoying every minute of it

I am so happy I moved out of cali back in June. It has gotten so crazy there,
I relocated to a harsh weather state and I am enjoying every minute of it
What part of California and where did you move to?

CA is a different state basically every 500 square miles..

LA<>SF<>SD<>most of the rural areas

If you lived in Oakland, Long Beach, or some very urban area I agree.. but I don't like most urban areas and most are honestly the same. Lots of traffic, lots of people, and annoying politics.. whether thats NY, Miami, Chicago, LA, etc. But I'd take an area like Ramona, Poway, Alpine, SLO, Camarillo/Oxnard any day over something like Worcester, Fitchburg, Daytona, Pahrump, etc

Horses for courses I guess

But the random "this state is dumb" just seems so petty..

If it wasn't for the politics, high population, the heavy regulation, and the insanely high costs of everything CA would actually be a really nice place to live and I am saying that seriously. The weather, the views, the foods, and the nearby beaches and deserts- both fun areas to me are really appealing.

If it wasn't for the politics, high population, the heavy regulation, and the insanely high costs of everything CA would actually be a really nice place to live and I am saying that seriously. The weather, the views, the foods, and the nearby beaches and deserts- both fun areas to me are really appealing.
Most of the places I'd like to live, outside of Montana, have really annoying politics unfortunately. I genuinely don't get the appeal of NY, CT, etc... you get the annoying politics, over population, etc., without any of the benefits of good weather, pretty scenery, fun things to do, etc. VT, Maine, at least have mountains, coastlines, less people

American Dad summed it perfectly in the episode they buy the rights to Stomp and move to NYC... everyone is miserable and hates it just pretends to be happy

You pay Federal taxes as revenue to the USA which is then appropriated by the House as laid out in the Constitution. The fact that there are more people that live in NY then other states is not a part of the equation.

I’m glad when people like where they live, and find positive things about that location. Sad to live in someplace that you hate. But people are different, and there is good and bad in all places.

That would be an interesting study, how many people hate where they live. In my line of work the people who have to show up to an office tend to only be in the huge mega-cities because that's where the tech jobs are. I'm one of the privileged few that have paid my dues and can convince employers I should be allowed to work from home 100%. If you want to work for a mega-tech-corp, many of them won't even entertain that idea. I suspect the number of people living in locations they find sub-optimal due to where they can find work is fairly high.

Anytime anyone posts about California, the thread takes a predictable turn - usually along political lines. But the way I see it, the crap happening in cities in CA and along the west coast is already happening to cities everywhere. It's just happening in CA first. Talk to someone in Denver and you'll start hearing the same complaints about crowding, housing costs, homelessness, nanny state legislation and taxes. How much "it's changed." Austin. Nashville. Charlotte. Same thing.

So when I see people making the same predictable posts about how horrible CA is, unless that person is living in BFE they better take a good look because that same stuff is coming to their city whether they like it or not. :)

Exactly ... because the crap that's being shoved down our throats here in Denver originated from California ...
"we moved because we hate what was happening there ... now we're going to make our new home exactly what we left"
I just don't get it.

Just wait till farmers are regulated out of business, they are only around 2% of the total population with almost no voice.

That would be an interesting study, how many people hate where they live. In my line of work the people who have to show up to an office tend to only be in the huge mega-cities because that's where the tech jobs are. I'm one of the privileged few that have paid my dues and can convince employers I should be allowed to work from home 100%. If you want to work for a mega-tech-corp, many of them won't even entertain that idea. I suspect the number of people living in locations they find sub-optimal due to where they can find work is fairly high.
I moved to where I wanted to live and then found a job. My Wife is a nurse and can find good work anywhere. But I agree with you as many of my neighbors are retirees the moved from a metropolitan area.

Exactly ... because the crap that's being shoved down our throats here in Denver originated from California ...
"we moved because we hate what was happening there ... now we're going to make our new home exactly what we left"
I just don't get it.
I feel your pain. Understand they are economic refugees. They are an internal immigrant group that has no interest in assimilating. We have them here in North Carolina. They move down From the north to escape high taxes and then complain about the lack of services.

The other thing is that there are several states with income taxes that receive enormous portions of the annual state budgets from the feds. Louisiana and Mississippi both have income taxes and both gets over 40% of their state budgets from DC. Those are just two examples.

The question was which are the
25 other states with no taxes.

What did they expect living somewhere like CA?

But I thought big gov makes everything better?

If only they had a few more regulations and taxes it surly will fix it lol

That said PLEASE DONT TELL THEM TO MOVE!!! That type of CA mindset is like a diease and last thing we need is it to spread to other states.

Last edited:
What part of California and where did you move to?

CA is a different state basically every 500 square miles..

LA<>SF<>SD<>most of the rural areas

If you lived in Oakland, Long Beach, or some very urban area I agree.. but I don't like most urban areas and most are honestly the same. Lots of traffic, lots of people, and annoying politics.. whether thats NY, Miami, Chicago, LA, etc. But I'd take an area like Ramona, Poway, Alpine, SLO, Camarillo/Oxnard any day over something like Worcester, Fitchburg, Daytona, Pahrump, etc

Horses for courses I guess

But the random "this state is dumb" just seems so petty..

Central Valley, KPTV,
There where other things besides just the taxes

Cheyenne wy is where we relocated to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back