337 Lands on I-75 in North GA

Nsconductor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nsconductor
https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/41237109/light-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-i-75-offramp-in-calhoun

Looks like a great job and a reusable airframe

bdff7354a62306e326e73ca82b30e485.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Did a scene call to that area once. First time landing on an interstate. Less than 2 mile flight from Calhoun.

Last edited:
Seems like interstate off ramps can be a good choice. Still fairly wide. Often going uphill. Traffic is less and slowing down. But would clearly depend on the time of day!

Swing that plane 90 degrees, with the tail over the railing, put out a few traffic cones, and resume traffic.

Twin down off airport leaves some obvious questions, though. You should not loose both engines at the same time.

Last flight ended at CZL, over a week ago, according to Flight Aware. This flight apparently had no flight plan, so did not appear on FA.

Not far from home base when it landed.

Well it is a push me pull you so who knows what happened. Don’t see oil so probably contaminated fuel that would make them both go out. I travel that area every so often that would be a good ramp to use. Probably not that much traffic today. My dad had to put one down on 95 back in the 80s. Not much fun. Did not damage the plane by some miracle. Just came out of annual and an oil like I believe came off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it is a push me pull you so who knows what happened. Don’t see oil so probably contaminated fuel that would make them both go out. I travel that area every so often that would be a good ramp to use. Probably not that much traffic today. My dad had to put one down on 95 back in the 80s. Not much fun. Did not damage the plane by some miracle. Just came out of annual and an oil like I believe came off

Yea, fuel contaminated with air..........

Well it is a push me pull you so who knows what happened. Don’t see oil so probably contaminated fuel that would make them both go out.

CZL has self-serve pumps. You'd have to be pretty silly to make that mistake as an owner.

Well it has been a little wet lately so if he has some leak into tank bad cap, bladder,or somehow the fuel in the tank was contaminated. Water in fuel was a bit of an issue for Kroger here. Lol.

Where did that towhook come from? Seems too long to be carried in the airplane?

Swing that plane 90 degrees, with the tail over the railing, put out a few traffic cones, and resume traffic.

Twin down off airport leaves some obvious questions, though. You should not loose both engines at the same time.
You shouldn't "loose" any engine at any time during flight.

(sorry. I had to).

United did back in the 80’s. My dad when I sent him this only asked do you think he lit the rear engine. Would not believe how many of those went down because of that.

Wondered about that, too. Maybe that's why he landed on the highway... forgot to read PoA and put his keys on the towbar, took off with it still attached, and heard a strange clunking under the fuselage right before he ran out of gas. It all makes sense, now.

I met a 337 owner at Jax, Craig field one day. He told of customarily starting and calling ground for his flight plan and other items before taxiing with just the front engine running, and starting the rear just before the run up. With just two young children and his wife, he forgot to start the second engine, and was surprised at how slow it accelerated, but at midfield, he had rotation speed, and took off. the climb was slow too, and then he noticed the tach on the rear engine at zero. He hit the starter, performance became normal, and he continued.

Those planes had a lot of surplus power when lightly loaded, and no asymmetric thrust to warn of single engine operation.

I had an invitation to fly in one, but their schedule and mine never lined up.

Just curious about the above, 'cause how do you do a mag check on the rear engine and not notice the 0000 rpm needle staring at you during run up?

Just curious about the above, 'cause how do you do a mag check on the rear engine and not notice the 0000 rpm needle staring at you during run up?

I said the the same thing when talking to my dad. He said look it seems to happen even with very high time in type pilots. I did not get it either.

I guess sh&t happens every day. I did always love the 337, even though my dad hates em cause they're loud. From safety and engineering idea, it's the best situation. I think they look purty kewl too.

...Twin down off airport leaves some obvious questions, though. You should not loose both engines at the same time.

That was my first thought too. o_O

I met a 337 owner at Jax, Craig field one day. He told of customarily starting and calling ground for his flight plan and other items before taxiing with just the front engine running, and starting the rear just before the run up. With just two young children and his wife, he forgot to start the second engine, and was surprised at how slow it accelerated, but at midfield, he had rotation speed, and took off. the climb was slow too, and then he noticed the tach on the rear engine at zero. He hit the starter, performance became normal, and he continued.

Those planes had a lot of surplus power when lightly loaded, and no asymmetric thrust to warn of single engine operation.

I'd imagine something similar could occur when an engine fails...inadvertently pulling the throttle, mixture and prop feather on the wrong engine.

I guess sh&t happens every day. I did always love the 337, even though my dad hates em cause they're loud. From safety and engineering idea, it's the best situation. I think they look purty kewl too.

As I recall, in the heyday of piston twins when the individual type and total fleet sample sizes were much larger and more statistically valid than now, the accident stats for the consequences of losing an engine in a 337 were no better than the piston twin fleet as a whole.

Last edited:
That was my first thought too. o_O
How do we know he lost both engines at the same time? The FlightAware track shows him airborne for about an hour and a half this morning, beginning around 10:30 and ending around the time of the incident. All of the flying was within the vicinity of the airport.

How do we know he lost both engines at the same time? The FlightAware track shows him airborne for about an hour and a half this morning, beginning around 10:30 and ending around the time of the incident. All of the flying was within the vicinity of the airport.

i think they’re running on the assumption that had one engine been running, he’d be on an airport instead of an interstate.

The "crew" at CZL is pretty close knit. They probably had the towbar attached to someone's jeep, ready to tow the airplane back to the field. Then the State Patrol arrived and caused a bunch of unnecessary paperwork. ;-)

My dad when I sent him this only asked do you think he lit the rear engine. Would not believe how many of those went down because of that.

Early on in the 337 too many folks would not taxi with the rear engine operating because of engine cooling problems.

SOP on take off is to advance the rear engine first.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who initially read this as a 737?

Both don’t look feathered in the photo, wonder if he still had some power when he landed?

Could be James.

The 337 props both have feathering. There is a detent on the prop controls that requires pulling up on the prop controls to lift them over the detent into the feathered position. That's a little different from some other piston twins.

I guess the C-337 and the B-787 share the same problems, that is they both have trouble holding altitude when the fuel tanks are empty....:lol::lol:

Has there been an incident where a 787 was run out of fuel in flight? :confused:
I don't recall that happening, must have missed it. o_O

Whoopsie doodles.... it should have read 777, not 787...

Sorry for the confusion...:)

:thumbsup:

My kid brother flies 787s. I just wanted to make sure he hadn't done something stupid, like fail to visually check the tank levels before launching out of Shanghai or something. :D

Back