Nav options

Hzkr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mcinteer1
I recently bought a 60' 172 that has this narco nav box (pic attached). It has localizer/ GS and freq all on the indicator. It isn't working consistently. What are the cheapest and easiest options for replacing the nav in this plane? Is anybody making indicators like these currently?

Attachments

• Nav.jpg
    Nav.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 78
Val Avionics is about the only one I can think of offhand. $2200 plus installation.

Free, fly low enough to read water towers, that’s why they are labeled :)

What would be best option to get Nav radio, localizer and glide slope installed to replace this instrument for $5k or less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Val Avionics is about the only one I can think of offhand. $2200 plus installation.

The Val is probably the best option without doing a major upgrade.

The cheapest is to find another Narco Nav11 that works. They're around. But, they're older than dirt and hard to find someone that'll work on them.

If this is a NAV 12, the needle movements are no longer available. I have one that is red tagged because of a sticking movement. If a NAV122 you might have better luck, but these units are prone to failure and increasingly hard to repair. I've long since replaced them with more modern nav equipment. The VAL unit is your best bet for a similar replacement.

This one will work but only if I'm within a few miles of the vor. Maybe I'll check out eBay.

This one will work but only if I'm within a few miles of the vor. Maybe I'll check out eBay.

Go with a Garmin GPS 175, Lafayette Avionics has them for 4100 then have your AI install, You can use it VFR with the built in CDI or get a used KI209 and it will be good for light IFR. Any other VOR system will cost close to that and you will have used equipment.

Does the Garmin 175 GPS have a nav frequency function built in? I can't see that it does when reading about it on their website. It was my first consideration, but I didn't think it had any radios (comms or nav) built in?

No, the 175 is GPS only. The 355 has a comm, the 375 has a transponder. If you’re needing VOR you have to step up to the 650. All of those options will require stack rework, so bring money.

The VAL is about as close as you’re gonna get to a drop in replacement.

I appreciate the info. I'll look into the VAL option and see what install looks like locally. Thanks.

Go with a Garmin GPS 175, Lafayette Avionics has them for 4100 then have your AI install, You can use it VFR with the built in CDI or get a used KI209 and it will be good for light IFR. Any other VOR system will cost close to that and you will have used equipment.
im not 100% sure, but i believe the 209 will not work, you need the 209a

According to Garmin, the 175 will interface with legacy Nav Indicators that includes the KI 204/209/209A for IFR. Aome old ARC’s are even certified for IFR. Go to the Garmin 175 web site and they list everything it interfaces with.

How about an IPad mini, Foreflight or Garmin Pilot & a GDL-39? Then you just need an ok radio.

Just velcro one of these on your dash. FAA doesn’t mind, it a portable device. No log entry needed.

sundial-795x385.jpg

According to Garmin, the 175 will interface with legacy Nav Indicators that includes the KI 204/209/209A for IFR. Aome old ARC’s are even certified for IFR. Go to the Garmin 175 web site and they list everything it interfaces with.

Wait - can you confirm this and/or provide a link? The 430/530 series would definitely not interface with a KI209, only the 209A. Would be nice if this one interfaced to the 209... as then I wouldn’t have to buy a new indicator and would save like $2k.

Wait - can you confirm this and/or provide a link? The 430/530 series would definitely not interface with a KI209, only the 209A. Would be nice if this one interfaced to the 209... as then I wouldn’t have to buy a new indicator and would save like $2k.

Never mind, found it all on my lonesome. It’s right there on the website - KI209/KI209A - and a bunch more that are even older. I can hardly believe it.

Or another thought is a KX 125 with the KI209 and a KN53 Glide slope receiver. Under $2000 plus installation

Back