GFC500 without a G5

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
I have been looking into buying(acquiring)an aircraft with a GPS navigator (GNX375) but without a G5. Is it possible to add a GFC500 autopilot and be totally functional without adding a G5? What may be the limitations if any?

Ok I was afraid of that. Is there an autopilot that can utilize the GPS but yet will not require the addition of a G5? I'm just trying to keep the outlay of cash to a minimum after the purchase of the autopilot.

Is there an autopilot that can utilize the GPS but yet will not require the addition of a G5? I'm just trying to keep the outlay of cash to a minimum after the purchase of the autopilot.
What airframe? Is it on the AML for TruTrak or Trio?

Looks like trio or trutrak it is then. I will start doing some research on both of those to see which one will be the best bang for the buck. Thanks for the info. Since the panel is all garmin I was gonna stick with the 500 and not look at the alternatives for an AP.

Get the garmin. You will not regret it
Well the 5k plus install for the GFC500 and another 3k plus for the G5 kindof makes me balk at the set up. I'm sure it will be superior to the trutrak or trio , its just a financial issue and eating into the reserves.

A GFC500 for a 172 2 axis (pitch/roll) is $7k list. 3 axis (pitch/roll/pitch trim) is $9k list.

TruTrak now BendixKing AeroCruze 100 is 8-9K installed just for reference. Saint Aviation has done a ton of TruTrak installs if you're looking for guidance.

The GFC500 lists for $7,000 without the G5, so getting both would cost about $10,000 plus installation, which I have seen going well into the upper teens to over $20,000 total.

+1 for Trutrak. I was shopping for AP for my PA28-235 not long time ago. After all calculations and comparisons I decided to go with Trutrak Vizion.
I know that this is not the same as Garmin and GFC500 gives you more functionality vs TT however when we look at amount of work required for installation and costs it comes to about twice more than TT costs.
Is it worth to spend that much ? Well not for me....

Back