Interesting article about DUI

Interesting.. although this would probably make the whole point moot

"Existing conditions, such as diabetes or liver problems, can impact the diagnosis of ABS. Patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) or liver cirrhosis (LC) tested higher for endogenous ethanol (EnEth) levels than a control group without the disease. But the EnEth levels peaked highest in a group of patients with both type 2 DM and LC, where the blood alcohol concentration reached 22.3 mg/dL"

Last show of the Good Doctor had a patient with the same malady. BAC was high and patient swore he wasn’t drinking when he fell off his ladder. Tests showed his gut was acting as a distillery.

We have people in my neuro issue support group who joke that they’d never pass a roadside test, they’d fall over.

Many keep a doc’s note that they have a neurological condition in their glove box. Or wear a medical bracelet.

Nowadays they’d probably arrest anyway and then you’d have that to deal with on top of everything.

Many recommend getting the handicapped placard for it just as added fodder for any super dumb cops one might encounter.

Last show of the Good Doctor had a patient with the same malady. BAC was high and patient swore he wasn’t drinking when he fell off his ladder. Tests showed his gut was acting as a distillery.
That is a favorite malady of doctor shows. I think every one of them has used it. Gray's, House, at least a couple others.

Everybody has some level of fermentation going on. This is why trying to set a BAC limit less than .04 is really problematic. There are some people that have higher amounts. Of coruse, while that might mean something to criminal courts, the FAA medical systems isn't based on intent. You're presumed to be unsafe whether you've got in vivo fermenation going on or you're tossing back a six pack.

Setting the BAC to .04 isn’t about “safety”.
Heck DUIs kill the same amount of people as speeding, yet the punshiments and social stigma at sooooo different between the two.

It’s mostly just a puritanical hold out from days not that long passed.

Want to get rid of drunk drivers, make it clean and make it simple, 8hrs bottle to throttle for the car. But that will never happen.

Was anyone else in college when the personal breathalyzer came out? They sold them at, like, Brookstone, in the mall. Seemed like one in five college kids had one for a few months.

I remember one morning after a night out that this one guy, we'll call him "biveslide", blew a .10 while all his friends blew .00s. Tried it several times with the same results. This "biveslide" gentleman got to tell everyone in the room they drink like babies and to not forget to wear their diapers to bar next time.

I'd wonder if this "biveslide" character had that condition, except for the fact that he passed all official breathalyzer tests with flying colors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back