Texas Helicopters Collide, 10/23

Three helicopters to catch a deer? I guess raising deer is more lucrative than I was aware of. Or maybe you catch the deer to keep them from eating your marijuana? I'd think you'd just shoot them in that case.

Three helicopters to catch a deer? I guess raising deer is more lucrative than I was aware of. Or maybe you catch the deer to keep them from eating your marijuana? I'd think you'd just shoot them in that case.
If the deer is eating your weed, is the venison, um, enhanced?

My buddies place they use them to count. Say there is no other way. R22.

My buddies place they use them to count. Say there is no other way. R22.
Article says they were using 3 helicopters to herd deer to catch them.

Article says they were using 3 helicopters to herd deer to catch them.
I have heard of that but i dont know much about it. I would guess counting is more frequent than netting. At least in TX. Probably moving exotic species that were sold.

Both of those lost were close friends of an acquaintance, who is also a South Texas helicopter pilot. Four children don't have a dad anymore. It's very sad.

My understanding is was to capture whitetail deer for breeding.
Maybe so, but I am unaware of circumstances under which that would be legal in Texas. Unless it was done at the behest of TPWD.

I am unaware of circumstances under which that would be legal in Texas.
All deer activities are highly regulated in TX and this method of capture requires a TPWD permit. But it is used quite a bit on certain ranches. Keep in mind though, unless a whitetail has an ID tattoo/tag/chip it is still considered wild and property of the state of TX, even in a privately owned enclosed high-fenced area.

A lot of ranches have their own state approved wild life management programs. Folks with PHDs in animal husbandry working at these ranches. As mentioned before, LOTS of big money involved.

Buddie of mine is an IA and certified Robinson shop...one day was at his hanger and watched him and one of his mechanics pull 20 or so 556/223 casings from underneath a control cover for the cyclic of an R44...seems to be a common problem with brass flying everywhere with the hog hunting operations. The envelope flown in all these operations is an accident waiting to happen.

Back