Record-setting Battery?

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
Starter issues on the R182 (spinning but not engaging), so immediately thought ‘battery’. Checked the logs, and the Concorde battery was 9 years old. Anyone else have one go that long?

Follow-up....did a drain/charge cycle on it with a fancy computerized ($1800) charging unit, and the thing still passes specs for RTS! Will probably still replace ‘just cuz’, but ordered a starter.

Maybe the fancy trickle charger was a good investment!

Jim

Anyone else have one go that long?
With the aircraft electrical system is good working order and condition, plus follow all battery OEM instructions on servicing/maintaining from initial install, there is no reason not to see that length of service life or better. Have seen some go over 11 years. Most batteries fail early due to 2 conditions: the initial installation instructions are not followed and parasitic drains within the aircraft electrical system.

Just replaced my Concorde RG24-11M with an RG24-15M (same physical size, 20% more ampere/hours). My old battery was just north of 5 years old, kept it on the correct BatteryMinder when not flying. Here in S. TX, batteries in general (auto and aircraft) don't last quite as long due to the high ambient temperatures evaporating the electrolyte faster.

I may try to open up the old one and add some distilled H2O, to see if I can resurrect it as a hangar battery...

My concord was 9 years old and only crapped cuz an Mechanic moved her and left master on... was just fine before that.

I ended up going to an oddesy, way lighter...

Starter issues on the R182 (spinning but not engaging), so immediately thought ‘battery’. Checked the logs, and the Concorde battery was 9 years old. Anyone else have one go that long?

Follow-up....did a drain/charge cycle on it with a fancy computerized ($1800) charging unit, and the thing still passes specs for RTS! Will probably still replace ‘just cuz’, but ordered a starter.

Maybe the fancy trickle charger was a good investment!

Jim

Neither aircraft nor Concord, but my 2007 automobile is still going strong on the original flooded cell battery. Battery is in the spare tire compartment away from engine heat which I believe is a big help. We'll see if it it makes it through the upcoming winter...

Your starter spinning but not engaging may have a sticking inertia drive (commonly but incorrectly called Bendix). This is the coarsely threaded screw which engages the pinion when the starter is activated. You might try cleaning it. Some think it should be lubricated, others say no that just makes it collect dirt. A reasonable compromise is to use a dry graphite lubricant.

Last edited:
Thanks, Flyingbrit!....Tried lubricating, and also the gentle hammer taps in the area of the ‘bendix’ with no change. If we can free it up after we get it off, we’ll have a spare. Going with a Sky-tech.....

Our battery is in the back....probably does help with longevity.

Jim

I had great luck with my last Concorde, at least 9 years, even after several left the master on incidents. I never use a battery tender.

1975 C-172 bought new. I recall three batteries total over 30 years that each went about 10 years. We were careful not to overcharge, and to make sure the plates were frequently checked and never exposed.

I'm not certian how long it's been in there. I've owned it for 4+ years, and it was in there when I got it. I'll check and let you know.

You can disassemble/clean/repair the starter too... They are dead simple inside... The last three I worked on maybe needed $20 worth of parts (total, for all three).

Back