certified G5 can now receive portable GPS data

nrimmer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
nrimmer
Reading through the most recent STC update and install manual, certified users are now allowed to hook up a portable GPS to the G5 to get a magenta line HSI. This had only previously been allowed on experimental. You have to update the software and then must use the external antenna for the GPS position source (internal GPS is not sufficient). I had been using my GTX 335 for the position source, but now the Aera 660 is using the RS232 input on the G5s. This is a great addition for those of us still flying old school IFR or to just expand functionality on a VFR setup. You can't legally file IFR GPS, but it makes for a nice fake and a great safety enhancement.

That is nice. You wouldn't get glide slope, so IFR would be out anyway.

Agree, I was just pointing out that it's there. It is great for practice in VFR conditions though.

Agree - great for practice. It's really no different from a VFR pilot flying an IFR equipped airplane - you can't legally fly in IFR conditions, but good to go out and practice and have the capabilities in the event of a mishap.

I would bet that side by side an Aera 660 is just as good as say an old non-WAAS Apollo unit and could safely be used as a backup of last resort. GPS is very accurate, just not as accurate as WAAS.

9-30.jpg

Agree - great for practice. It's really no different from a VFR pilot flying an IFR equipped airplane - you can't legally fly in IFR conditions, but good to go out and practice and have the capabilities in the event of a mishap.

I would bet that side by side an Aera 660 is just as good as say an old non-WAAS Apollo unit and could safely be used as a backup of last resort. GPS is very accurate, just not as accurate as WAAS.

View attachment 78856
GPS is NOT accurate on altitude. At all.

What are you flying that you're exceeding Vne with only a 700 fpm decent? :eek:

lol a Cessna 120. It was a nice smooth evening and tower cleared me straight in on the big runway so I was just riding that line having some fun. I could have pulled back the power and slowed her up a little.

lol a Cessna 120. It was a nice smooth evening and tower cleared me straight in on the big runway so I was just riding that line having some fun. I could have pulled back the power and slowed her up a little.

Lol, I hear you... Although technically since the display is red (and you are between the 0 and the 1) you're actually on the wrong side of the line. Of course, with the resolution of the old ASI, you wouldn't have ever known that...

V/r,

I know I can probably look it up in the install manual, but I’ll ask anyway:

Does the G5 have more than one RS232 input?

I plan on getting one and use the RS232 out from my GTX335 for GPS input. It would be nice to also connect my Aera 660 for Nav data like you have there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back