After three years, she's home

flyingron

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingRon
73322117_10214786973978953_8610787242337632256_n.jpg

The video was crocked so I replaced it with a still of it sitting in front of her hangar. My neighbor shot the video of my return landing. That's the advantage of making a low pass before landing, it gives people time to get their cameras ready.

Congratulations, Ron. I know this has been a long journey.

Looks like Long Island Airpark.

Clueless here....is there a thread or whatever explaining why the 3 yr delay?
Ron lost the engine (mechanical failure) and had to set it down in a field. No injuries, some airframe damage, and a lot of go-arounds with the FAA, NTSB, insurance, and engine folks.

Ron Wanttaja

Not bad- it’s squeezing through the bushes that makes parking difficult.
Actually, it's not as bad as it looks. I can spin it around on the ramp letting the wing span over the far side. The thing was my pig cooker (not visible in the photo) blocked my way to fully swing it around.

I need more pics! The paint job looks wicked. Is it one blue and one white wing?

Bonanza?
Bite your tongue. NAVION.

Actually, one wing is unpainted (bare metal). The paint job is about ten years old. They replaced the right wing in the repair process.

Ron lost the engine (mechanical failure) and had to set it down in a field. No injuries, some airframe damage, and a lot of go-arounds with the FAA, NTSB, insurance, and engine folks.

Ron Wanttaja
And the mechanic working on it had a stroke in the middle of the whole project.

And the mechanic working on it had a stroke in the middle of the whole project.
You must be one demanding client to cause him to have a stroke! ;)

Nice looking airplane Ron. Can we get more pix?

Bite your tongue. NAVION.

Actually, one wing is unpainted (bare metal). The paint job is about ten years old. They replaced the right wing in the repair process.

I should have remembered that. Didn’t have the triangular bottom of the cowling to be a Bo, but definitely too cool to be a piper.

Navion. Should have remembered. Congrats on getting her back!

Actually, it's not as bad as it looks. I can spin it around on the ramp letting the wing span over the far side. The thing was my pig cooker (not visible in the photo) blocked my way to fully swing it around.

It’s good to have priorities. I see that yours are rather well sorted out and quite normal. Airplane? Check. Hangar-house? Check. Pig cooker within footsteps of all the above? Check. I’m certain there is beer nearby. ;)

Edited to add: our next door (not exactly next door, but you get the idea) had a Navion. I grew up with our back yard opening onto the same grass runway that my wife and I live next to now. The Navion’s prop tips at takeoff always made me ears hurt! :D

Congrats! Been a long haul road.

Did you decide not to paint the new wing to match because you're thinking about a complete re-paint?

In addition to the wing, there was other damage that is now just covered in zinc chromate primer, so we're really looking at a complete repaint. We'll probably maintain the same scheme except it will be done right this time. They screwed up the width of the stripes. The bottom stripe should be twice as wide as it is currently.

3156449461_6ab514417e_b.jpg

Ron, I love me some Navion! At least before the Rangemaster.

The last pic I can see. The first one was "broken" link... For me.

I've looked in the POH and elsewhere for clarification. Can you fly with canopy open? The way I read POH, yes... But only all the way not interested.... It'd be nice if there was a detent or latch that woul hold it an inch or two open.

Glad that you have it back. It seems like these sorts of issues tend to take much longer than they ought to, and of course having a less common aircraft doesn't make that simpler.

R\
I've looked in the POH and elsewhere for clarification. Can you fly with canopy open?
Yes, there is a detent about 11" that is the maximum flight position. You won't actually get it that far back unless you latch it open on the ground. The airstream works against you otherwise, you can maybe pull it back about an inch or two and it will stay there .

Yes, there is a detent about 11" that is the maximum flight position. You won't actually get it that far back unless you latch it open on the ground. The airstream works against you otherwise, you can maybe pull it back about an inch or two and it will stay there .
Thanks, that just makes me want one even more....
'Preciate the info!

Glad it’s back ,good luck with it going forward.

Back