Going fully digital logbook. What about past training signatures?

RocktheWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RocktheWings
I’m thinking of taking the plunge to a fully digital logbook and completely disregarding the paper one. My one hold up is do I need to worry about past lesson signatures or is the fact that I have the various certificates and ratings evidence of that?

The plan is to take pictures of the various endorsements but I’d imagine there’s no expectation for future employers or examiners to see past signatures for checkrides already complete. For any future training I know I can get digital signatures, but just want to be sure I’m covered.

Anyone else fully digital?

Just do like you said, take photos and upload into new log with forwarded total hours.

In the future digital signatures or just having the person write the endorsement on a scrap of paper and snapping a photo of it and uploading it.

Worked for me for my initial ATP, a few interviews and a bunch of company and FSI 135 rides.

Side note, scan your old logs too and keep them on your computer and on a remote server (aka the cloud).

Last edited:
I switched to the ForeFlight logbook and I’m happy. ForeFlight records all my flights automatically so I just have to acknowledge the logbook entry and make minor adjustments. You can just transfer the total hours and keep your old logbooks if you prefer. I decided to input all my past flights so I would have a complete electronic record. ForeFlight offers an Excel spreadsheet you can download so you can enter all your logbook data and then import that into ForeFlight. It took a weekend to get it all transcribed but I think it was worth it. I still kept my old logbooks but now only use the electronic logbook

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use myflightbook as my primary but I go back and update the paper logbook periodically. All the endorsements/BFRs/etc are in the paper logs.

@Perezhr I am thinking of getting on this bandwagon of modernity too; does foreflight have an option to record
-SEL
-MEL
-at least 5 different types ie hours for the Cessna, for the Bonanza, etc etc
(why can't the insurance companies just say 'You been flyin' this year?' 'Cool, gotcha covered'.)
edit, they also want night, imc, # and type of approaches, CC, for each flight, can this be done?

@Perezhr I am thinking of getting on this bandwagon of modernity too; does foreflight have an option to record
-SEL
-MEL
(why can't the insurance companies just say 'You been flyin' this year?' 'Cool, gotcha covered'.)
edit, they also want night, imc, # and type of approaches, CC, for each flight, can this be done?

Yup

I don't know if it's changed in the last few years, but when I did my atp the checkairman wanted to see them all. I had to bring in and annotate all five log books with every requirement for the atp.

-SEL
-MEL

In general, electronic logbooks no longer need to "record" things like ASEL vs AMEL or complex vs not, or several other columns you might have in a paper logbook. They don't need you to enter these values because for any given airplane it (usually) doesn't change. If N12345 is a Bonanza, any entries for N12345 will automatically be ASEL, high-performance, complex. So it can easily total them up when you need those numbers for insurance.

Similarly, any electronic logbook that records "live" using GPS while you fly, is easily able to determine numbers of landings (with a certain possible error for tough-and-goes), XC flight (using whichever definition you tell it), and night. Things like PIC or SIC, IMC, dual received or number and type of approaches will have to be manually edited.

Back