Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee

Marco S.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Sierra
Hello guys,

I'm planning to start my PPL flight lessons in a month or so and I'm debating which airplane to use for instruction. I read pros and cons on both... I understand that some of you may be bias but in general, is it better to start with a particular model, maybe switching every few hours or it doesn't matter? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Regards, MS

I trained in both. In my humble opinion, go for the 172. The Cherokee is very forgiving -- too forgiving, really. There are things you can get away with in a Cherokee, like stalling un-coordinated, that will bite you in the 172 and most other airplanes. The 172 will make you learn to use the rudder pedals.

Neither one is better than the other.

Do you like high wings or low, two doors or one, the red one or the blue one? It really doesn't matter too much.
Don't switch planes back and forth every few hours, get checked out in a different plane after your training.

I instructed in Cherokees, and generally I agree with Dale. Cherokees are good, safe, comfortable airplanes for their class, and very easy to fly -- perhaps too easy to fly to be a good trainer. But a good instructor can make up for it.

I don't see any benefit in "switching every few hours" just for the sake of variety, but there are some things you can learn in one type that you might miss in others. My personal preference is to start out in a simple taildragger, like a Cub or a Champ, to get the basics of airmanship; then transition to something like a C-152 or C-172 or Cherokee.

Just my $.02.

is it better to start with a particular model, maybe switching every few hours or it doesn't matter?
Stick with one until somewhere around solo XC or so.

Also keep in mind that after you get your ticket you'll be taking up friends and family. High wing is a little bit better for this purpose.

Hello guys,

I'm planning to start my PPL flight lessons in a month or so and I'm debating which airplane to use for instruction. I read pros and cons on both... I understand that some of you may be bias but in general, is it better to start with a particular model, maybe switching every few hours or it doesn't matter? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Regards, MS

Does it matter if you learn to drive in a Honda Accord, or a Toyota Tercel? Discussing the pros and cons of each is a waste of time when your objective is to learn the basics. Go with whichever is cheaper.

Some guys (even some that have already posted above) make light of this question, or say that “it doesn’t matter” but what they’re forgetting is this:

From inside the Cherokee, the propellor turns clockwise, but while outside (and in front of) the 172, the propellor turns counterclockwise. Which is your preference? Choose wisely!

I like the high wing.. You get shade from the top wing and you can open the windows! My bonanza here in Texas is like being in a freaking oven!
It is all preference but I enjoy Cessna's. It is nice having 2 doors that open also.

The thing I really liked about the Cherokee over the 172 was the Johnson Bar for flaps. Never did like the electric flaps in the 172. Other than that, there is the never ending high wing / low wing “discussion”.

cheers

I learned in a low wing and just started flying a 172. Personally I prefer the low wing because I like to be able to see into my turns (especially in the pattern). Just a personal preference.

Both are pretty bad trainers, IMO it’s not enough of a difference to matter, pick the cheapest one.

I had a preference to train in a piper as I intend to buy a Cherokee 6 once I get some hours under my belt and save my pennies. If you're planning to go to a 182 or 210 in the future, you might choose a 172. If you don't have future plans, go with whichever is cheaper.

I wouldn't suggest switching planes during training. I did my training in our club's archer. I flew our warrior and was very surprised how differently it handled, and the differences in layout in basically the same airplane just separated by 20 years and 20 hp. I think I could get in it and fly it safely, but I wouldn't want to take it on my checkride.

One advantage the Cessna has over the piper is that they're certified for spins.

I had a preference to train in a piper as I intend to buy a Cherokee 6 once I get some hours under my belt and save my pennies. If you're planning to go to a 182 or 210 in the future, you might choose a 172. If you don't have future plans, go with whichever is cheaper.

I wouldn't suggest switching planes during training. I did my training in our club's archer. I flew our warrior and was very surprised how differently it handled, and the differences in layout in basically the same airplane just separated by 20 years and 20 hp. I think I could get in it and fly it safely, but I wouldn't want to take it on my checkride.

One advantage the Cessna has over the piper is that they're certified for spins.

The 150/2 is certified for spins, and though still to far easy to fly for a good trainer, it’s better than the 172/PA28

My 1968 Cherokee is certified for spins if loaded in the Utility category. Not sure about other models.

It also has more shoulder room than a 172, so if you and the instructor are big guys, that might be a factor.

Which has the cheaper rate? I'd go for that one and I bet it will be the Cherokee. Plus low wings just look cooler!

The thing I really liked about the Cherokee over the 172 was the Johnson Bar for flaps. Never did like the electric flaps in the 172. Other than that, there is the never ending high wing / low wing “discussion”.

cheers

I like manual flaps also.... Older 172's had manual flaps.

Cherokee. Not even close. Especially if you want to move into something like a Grumman, Cirrus, Mooney or Bonanza.

My personal preference is to start out in a simple taildragger, like a Cub or a Champ, to get the basics of airmanship; then transition to something like a C-152 or C-172 or Cherokee.

Just my $.02.

Yes! This! Learn in a basic old tailwheel! Once u land that puppy you can bring a sack lunch to land the trikes... and it really isn’t technically harder it’s just not gunna let you get away with doing it sloppy and not even knowing you are...

I trained in 150s and a 172, first 10 years of flying I spent in a club only with a beautiful 180hp 172... I bought a Cessna 140 last year- I’ve become a better pilot for not being able to rely on HP or a nosewheel in the last year than my first 10 years of flying... I wish idda flown her first...

A 172 may be no high performer but w typical 2ppl on board no baggage for training she’s got plenty of power to keep u out of trouble even flying sloppy...

We flew out west this year, the high DA didn’t bother me as much as the other guys whom had far more capable machines than I. Yes my performance was diminished but it was second nature to do the things required for high DA as they are a normal part of my flying just more accentuated...

When I fly the club 172 landings are a breeze...

Learn those stick and rudder skills in a plane that doesn’t “help” you along and u will be better off all ur flying days even if u end up flying a fighter jet!

Almost all of my 475 or so hours are in various models of 172’s( Ive flown the P, the SP and the R). All of these are great planes and will keep you safe if you treat them well. The bigger question is are the OP’s options similarly laid out in terms of cockpit. If you have the choice, learn on the standard 6 pack without the fancy glass cockpits.

Good luck and enjoy learning how to fly!

It really doesn't matter. I personally really dislike 172's. They fly like trucks, have a high panel (Warriors are guilty of this too but original Cherokee's not so much), I hate having to slide the seat every time I get in or out, The door post is in a terrible position and always makes me feel constrained. I also really despise having to use a ladder or climb on the strut to fuel an airplane. The Cherokee isn't perfect either but I find it much more enjoyable to fly.

Last edited:
My 1968 Cherokee is certified for spins if loaded in the Utility category. Not sure about other models.

It also has more shoulder room than a 172, so if you and the instructor are big guys, that might be a factor.
Good luck getting it to spin. Even adding power, I find they typically just mush into a spiral.

That's interesting. Our 95 archer prohibits them. I'll have to look in the warrior poh;I think it's a 78.

Thank you all for the great inputs... I might be ending flipping a coin for this… ;). I leaning more towards the PA28 as I liked low wing planes but the fact that I'm learning to fly and reading that a C172 is a 'less forgiven' plane makes me lean to the Cessna. Moneywise is not an issue as the rent per hour is pretty much the same ($5 difference).

I was forced to change because the club sold the one I started in, Piper Warrior II. I went over to a C172.
when I started I hoped for the C172 anyway since I was passenger in one as a kid for a long time.

I really didn’t like the one door thing with the Piper. I kinda did like the way it flew, found out I liked low wing, and liked the flaps bar...seemed solid and not dependent on a servo motor. The one I flew was so old I had to note the light switches, fuel pump as the labels had worn off.

Then went over to the C172, and having my own door was a real luxury. Seems like the door is a biggie for me. Felt weird at first with wings over me, but for regular flying it’s much better views and all, except landing whee when you bank from base to final the wing is kinda in the way. I’m not as happy with the flaps switch, as I worry that I will one day overshoot and set like 20 degrees when I meant to set 10.

But all in all, either one is good. I do like my own door though!

A minor point and I am no gamer, but in FSX and x-plane (for armchair practice at home) all of them have a C172 available, but it can either cost, or be difficult to find a Piper.
It’s doable, but just not default option in the versions I had.

The Cessna is easier to fly, but more difficult to fly well. That makes it a better trainer. But a 152 (or better yet, an older taildragger) would be even better.

But all in all, either one is good. I do like my own door though!
My dad suffered greatly from claustrophobia. He had to have a door next to him. Not that he would use it in flight; it just had to be there. Flying an airplane with the only door on the right was a non-starter for him, but he was fine in his 150 and 172.

My dad suffered greatly from claustrophobia. He had to have a door next to him. Not that he would use it in flight; it just had to be there. Flying an airplane with the only door on the right was a non-starter for him, but he was fine in his 150 and 172.

Luckily, I don’t suffer from claustrophobia, but I like much better two ways out of the plane just in case. Also much easier to get in and out of.

You will master cross wind landings if you fly a high wing for training. Low wings don’t seem (to me) to be affected by a crosswind as much as high wings. I trained in a 172 and have a lot of 182 time as well. When I bought my RV9 I couldn’t believe how easy it was to land in cross winds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Both are simple planes that are easy to fly. Unlike others above, I wouldn’t say one is inherently more difficult than than other. They have slightly different flying qualities, but those differences are so small that it really doesn’t affect anything. You can and will learn everything needed in either aircraft.

In my opinion there are more differences between a Warrior and a Cherokee than there are between a Cherokee and a 172.

It’s not like we’re talking about a J3 and a Citation X.

Thank you all for the great inputs... I might be ending flipping a coin for this… ;). I leaning more towards the PA28 as I liked low wing planes but the fact that I'm learning to fly and reading that a C172 is a 'less forgiven' plane makes me lean to the Cessna. Moneywise is not an issue as the rent per hour is pretty much the same ($5 difference).

The 172 is much more forgiving of the things that can actually kill you.

My 172 has Johnson Bar flaps. I agree the electric flaps are dumb. I like two doors as I like the relative ease of getting in and out. To be fair I don't have any time in a Cherokee. I don't think I have even flown in one. I do have several hours in a couple of different Arrows though. Pretty straight forward airplanes.

Back