Good (CLT FSDO) and BAD (ELECTRONICS INDUSTRIES)

flyingron

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingRon
Well, we're finally getting the Navion done. I was overjoyed that we found the binder full of my "flight manual supplements" to the non existant flight manual. We got the annual done and the plane weighed and we're ready to go except... the Airworthiness Certificate is nowhere to be found. Send an email to the CLT FSDO. Within hours I have a PDF of a new official one. Love these guys.

Get everything buttoned up and put some fuel in it. Engine starts up and runs smooth but no RPMs on the MVP-50P. Not only that, the gauge and fields in various screens that should be marked RPMs is marked "STARTS" (which I'm not even supposed to have on the MVP-50P, it's a MVP-50T parameter). The calibration screen actually shows the right values for the left and right mags (3 times the rpm normally, 0 when the mag is grounded), so I know have it wired up right. Of course, it's now after 5PM and there's nobody alive at EI so I may be grounded until Monday. Was hoping to get out of Nebraska on Sunday.

Computers make everything better. LOL.

Super glad to hear you’re almost back in the air, though. :)

You’ll get the wayward bytes wrangled, I’m sure. Not sure about “by Sunday” though.

Gotta stick up for EI here. That sounds like a configuration issue and EI has been phenomenal when I have needed help on my installs, and I’m usually working with used gear - they don’t stand to make a dime on me.

If it's a "configuration issue" it was done at their factory on the is "locked up tighter than a freaking drum" certified unit. I can't change those fields without the OEM password.
It's also bizaarre that a my RPM display now displays a field that isn't even really active on the -P version of the UNIT.

Anyhow, I'm screwded until someone wakes up PST on Monday and tells me how to get their piece of crap to work. The OEM configuration as set up for my plane is absolutely hideous. There's no way to display all the fuel gauges at the same time despite the fact that there are a dozen blank fields on the System page.

Are you grounded by regulation or by virtue of not wanting to fly without data?

REGULATION. You can't fly without a tachometer. The MVP-50P is my primary.

Copy that. I am not familiar with the unit but I's be hard pressed to fly a new engine without lots of data...

Hope it all works out to your advantage!

Well I was going to just perform a factory reset on the thing this morning, but while punching at it trying to find that command, I tripped across the bug, I must have inadvertently done while doing the fuel tank calibration. I won’t go in to details but you can given the right sequence change values that are supposed to be readonly on the certificated versions.

Last edited:
Who is doing the Navion MX? We have one in Marion NC I need refreshed

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ron.did you buy the Navion out there?

I bought the Navion in Watertown, WI in 1995. A few months after 9/11 the Gopher engine in it broke while I was flying Young Eagles. The best Navion shop in the country was out in Aurora. When I had my second engine failure they were the obvious ones to work on it (Don died not too long after my first restoration. Jeff, his son, is still pretty good, but hampered with the lingering effects of a stroke. He's got a pretty sharp son himself). Don't yet have an NC mechanic. I use Kevin Woodside up at CJR.

They did call Monday and I explained the bug (another boardie had also PM'd me that he had found the same thing). Anyhow, having the unit now reminds me that my old resistive fuel senders are crap and I'll need to replace them. Amusingly, watching EI's YouTube videos shows them demoing the unit in another Navion.

Anyhow, the Navion is back in her own hangar after three years.

Back