Location..Opinions Pease!

Davis276

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gypsy00
Hello Guys,
I was interested in pursuing my PPL and hopefully Proceed to my Commercial. I am currently in Oregon and looking to move again and I am able to move anywhere I am needing to. With that said I have done extensive research on different flight schools and local cfi's. My main goal is to get the best value training possible...if it be a local fbo or school. My question is out of the US which states would offer the beat value? I am trying to take in consideration the cost of living...weather...training cost per hour...rentals.

I hope my concerns are clear and would appreciate any advice...recommendations

I'll second Florida, especially as it will be great flying weather very soon from now through May. Not too hot, not too cold, no density altitude issues or mountains to avoid.

Only issue is that I've found rental rates to be slightly higher than I was used to coming from the mid-west. But that would have been the case literally anywhere coming from a low cost of living area. Check out Melbourne or one of the cities on the east coast while avoiding the big cities and I'm sure you'll find the rates reasonable.

Hello Guys,
I was interested in pursuing my PPL and hopefully Proceed to my Commercial. I am currently in Oregon and looking to move again and I am able to move anywhere I am needing to. With that said I have done extensive research on different flight schools and local cfi's. My main goal is to get the best value training possible...if it be a local fbo or school. My question is out of the US which states would offer the beat value? I am trying to take in consideration the cost of living...weather...training cost per hour...rentals.

Weather, training costs per hour and rentals is easy enough to find out. Cost of living is another thing. What’s your lifestyle?

Arizona and Florida are the tops in the US.
Hello Guys,

Let me translate - I WANT CHEAP FLIGHT TRAINING.

Best value and cheap are not synonymous.

I assumed OP was trying to get out of the Pacific NW first and foremost due to weather and then if needing to relocate due to weather then why not go to the place of best value training.

It seems like if they are going "all the way" through their ratings, they would want a place that offers that with good/efficient training (not necessarily cheap training), good weather (not necessarily VMC all the time after the PPL), all without paying $2k a month to rent an apartment.

Let me translate - I WANT CHEAP FLIGHT TRAINING.
If I wanted cheap training I would just stay here as my rent is affordable hourly cost and rental is cheap as iv seen it online...the weather is pushing me away..its always gray and mostly this time of year raining. I ask for value...cost to quality of education I just felt value was self explanatory.

I
Best value and cheap are not synonymous.

I assumed OP was trying to get out of the Pacific NW first and foremost due to weather and then if needing to relocate due to weather then why not go to the place of best value training.

It seems like if they are going "all the way" through their ratings, they would want a place that offers that with good/efficient training (not necessarily cheap training), good weather (not necessarily VMC all the time after the PPL), all without paying $2k a month to rent an apartment.
Yes precisely...Oregon's weather is not ideal for my liking...Portland is expensive as far as rent and is just going up and up each year..its raining all the time.

If I wanted cheap training I would just stay here as my rent is affordable hourly cost and rental is cheap as iv seen it online...the weather is pushing me away..its always gray and mostly this time of year raining. I ask for value...cost to quality of education I just felt value was self explanatory.

You aren’t going to get the answer you want here. We could start with Embry Riddle and work down from there in quality. Where ever you decide, avoid the puppy mills.

You aren’t going to get the answer you want here. We could start with Embry Riddle and work down from there in quality. Where ever you decide, avoid the puppy mills.
I agree with the puppy mills does not at all seem what I want. I may look into flordia or arizona mentioned before seems as the weather would be ideal at least.
That's for the reply.

It is like being asked to sign a form that certifies you were trained properly. Everyone believes they were. I realize the weather is not the best where you reside, but I would start there.

You don’t need great weather to go to a first class ground school. If need be, do the flying for the private out of state. Then come home build some time and do the commercial at home. There not much instruction for the commercial if you know how to fly.

Since I'm from the Midwest, that's what I'd vote. We have cheap cost of living, all kinds of weather to learn in and no big rocks to run into. I'm from Iowa and winters can be pretty brutal around here but pretty much any state south of us is much milder. I would bet you can find good (and bad) flight schools pretty much everywhere. Good luck!

I say the Mid-west too. I find that MN is pretty reasonable, and a good variety of weather and airspaces available.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Lots of good flight schools in Florida. Cost of living maybe stick to Central Florida, Orlando area? West Palm Beach area is where I'm based and Palm Beach Flight Training is excellent. I live in Miami but the flight schools down here are very very crowded.

Hello Guys,
I was interested in pursuing my PPL and hopefully Proceed to my Commercial. ...
Many schools can get you through PPL and Commercial. I'm pretty sure there is such training available out of Hillsboro, OR. How about IFR?

Is your ultimate goal an aviation career? If so, please describe.

And yes, the weather may suck most of the year, but there are few places as geologically beautiful as the PNW.

Many schools can get you through PPL and Commercial. I'm pretty sure there is such training available out of Hillsboro, OR. How about IFR?

Is your ultimate goal an aviation career? If so, please describe.

And yes, the weather may suck most of the year, but there are few places as geologically beautiful as the PNW.
Yes where i live in Eugene there are several instructors available And seems reasonable at around 55 to 65 a hour rental at around 100 to 150 a hour...I Just have lived here for some time and I am ready to get out of the pnw as its changed past few years...hence looking for a new location even if I only stay there a couple years or what ever needed to train then I can relocate again if needed.

Yes where i live in Eugene there are several instructors available And seems reasonable at around 55 to 65 a hour rental at around 100 to 150 a hour...I Just have lived here for some time and I am ready to get out of the pnw as its changed past few years...hence looking for a new location even if I only stay there a couple years or what ever needed to train then I can relocate again if needed.

What’s changed in the past few years?

Back