Declared Emergency today - first flight with family

I have one that I made for my pitot tube during winter (had one instance of water freezing inside and no airspeed on takeoff - actually discovered it while taxiing when the airspeed was reading 70 while stopped). I put it on the vent tube today because there are still bugs flying around.

What I will do is make another tube cover and attach the two together with a length of bright reflective tape, maybe even attach those to my cowl plugs with another long length of bright reflective webbing. That way there is a super obvious chain of covers all linked together and all on the pilots side of the plane. Would be painfully obvious from the pilots window. Can’t take off just one and forget the others.

Glad to hear fuel is flowing out now. Every plane is different. The 172 barely leaks but the 150 will drip overnight or when it’s warm as the fuel expands. If you need a cover a company called Plane Signts makes a screen cover with a RBF streamer attached. Look up Plane Sights Fuel Vent Screen on google.

A cover made from screen material is a great idea. That way even if it gets left on, danger will be mostly averted. No chance of the vent being completely blocked by a screen cover.

Depending on the vent size, "pipe cleaners" may do the trick very well. That's what I used on the Commander. You can get longer ones at a craft store.

icking a nit - you reduce the mass of air flowing through the carburetor, not the volume
Or maybe even more technical, the air is less dense. You don't enrichen the mixture, it actually becomes more rich because of this. Normally we enrich the mixture by adding more fuel to the mixture. Carb heat enriches the mixture by taking away air because of the reduced density of it, while the fuel volume in the mixture remains the same.

I've waited a few days to say this because I didn't want to be a complete dick, but I have to question the wisdom of first flight with family in a 150, 2500 feet over mountainous terrain. There's probably more to the story, and again, I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but when I first read this I thought to myself, "Things I wouldn't do in an airplane..."

I've waited a few days to say this because I didn't want to be a complete dick, but I have to question the wisdom of first flight with family in a 150, 2500 feet over mountainous terrain.
Congratulations! Waiting a few days only makes you a partial dick! (just kidding) Anyway, I am not trying to belittle your concern, or call you out in any way, but I think the same could be said about a lot of things that we do throughout our lives. For example you could say the same thing about someone taking their family in a compact car on a freeway at night. There might be someone traveling the same road as you who has had too much to drink (which is probably nearly every night) and they could be so inebriated that they crash into you and kill you along with the rest of your family. Everything we do involves some sort of risk. Flying is no different than driving or in some cases just walking on a sidewalk next to a busy street. In this case the Cessna 150 is probably just as safe as most other single engine planes, when maintained and flown within it's limitations. In fact in some cases, maybe even safer. With just a 10 to 15 mile per hour wind, it can fly a ground speed in the 30's. I think I would like my chances better putting that one down in a tight spot better than my Comanche.
Having flown in the Rockies, the Appalachians, and in the Alaska mountain range, I can tell you that flying in Connecticut and New York is probably the safest of those mountainous places to put a plane down. But aside from all of that, I don't believe that we should be trying to live our lives risk free. As aviators we are blessed to be able to experience the pure exhilaration of flight in a way that most people can only dream about. Sure there are risks, but there are risks in everything we do. Furthermore, the risks we take as pilots are not nearly as great as many things in this world and are far less than most people think.
My mother-in-law was not very thrilled when I got my pilot's license not too long after my wife and I got married. It scared her to death. She has never flown with us in 30 years. She thinks we would be much better off driving. How should I respond to that suggestion when I have lost my father and mother in a fatal car accident, two aunts in two other different fatal car accidents, an uncle in still another fatal car vs train accident, and finally, my grandmother and grandfather in a fatal car accident? I just tell her that safety is always my priority and hope she understands.
Risks are just a part of life. If the focus of our lives is to live risk free, are we really living?
Finally, If you are like me and you remember how inspired you were the first time you read the poem "High Flight", how can you not feel that the small risks we take as pilots are worth it?
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth....."

first flight with family
Also, this was his first flight with his family because they had just installed the extra seat in the back, and I am assuming they all couldn't go before this because there was no 3rd seat. (Cessna 150 is a 2 seater. The third seat is probably an aftermarket item.) I mean, you can't just throw a small child in the baggage compartment of a 150 without a seat!

I sniff my fuel vent every third flight or so to make sure it’s venting. Smell gas? It’s venting. ;) Every time I fill to the caps I drip fuel until takeoff, at which point I can’t see it drip any more.

Also, this was his first flight with his family because they had just installed the extra seat in the back, and I am assuming they all couldn't go before this because there was no 3rd seat. (Cessna 150 is a 2 seater. The third seat is probably an aftermarket item.) I mean, you can't just throw a small child in the baggage compartment of a 150 without a seat!

The rear baggage compartment child seat is actually a factory option. They pop up on eBay once in a while, it’s basically a tubular frame with a cushioned seat that spans the width of the cabin and a padded backrest.

The rear baggage compartment child seat is actually a factory option. They pop up on eBay once in a while, it’s basically a tubular frame with a cushioned seat that spans the width of the cabin and a padded backrest.

I have seen pictures of them. I didn't know they were a factory option. Can they be used for anything other than small children?

I have seen pictures of them. I didn't know they were a factory option. Can they be used for anything other than small children?

Probably not as the placement of them doesn’t leave much in the way of legroom. It’s pretty useless as well once you factor in the two front pax, gas, etc. The 150M I had before had 489lbs of useful load and that was never enough.

Congratulations! Waiting a few days only makes you a partial dick! (just kidding) Anyway, I am not trying to belittle your concern, or call you out in any way, but I think the same could be said about a lot of things that we do throughout our lives. For example you could say the same thing about someone taking their family in a compact car on a freeway at night. There might be someone traveling the same road as you who has had too much to drink (which is probably nearly every night) and they could be so inebriated that they crash into you and kill you along with the rest of your family. Everything we do involves some sort of risk. Flying is no different than driving or in some cases just walking on a sidewalk next to a busy street. In this case the Cessna 150 is probably just as safe as most other single engine planes, when maintained and flown within it's limitations. In fact in some cases, maybe even safer. With just a 10 to 15 mile per hour wind, it can fly a ground speed in the 30's. I think I would like my chances better putting that one down in a tight spot better than my Comanche.
Having flown in the Rockies, the Appalachians, and in the Alaska mountain range, I can tell you that flying in Connecticut and New York is probably the safest of those mountainous places to put a plane down. But aside from all of that, I don't believe that we should be trying to live our lives risk free. As aviators we are blessed to be able to experience the pure exhilaration of flight in a way that most people can only dream about. Sure there are risks, but there are risks in everything we do. Furthermore, the risks we take as pilots are not nearly as great as many things in this world and are far less than most people think.
My mother-in-law was not very thrilled when I got my pilot's license not too long after my wife and I got married. It scared her to death. She has never flown with us in 30 years. She thinks we would be much better off driving. How should I respond to that suggestion when I have lost my father and mother in a fatal car accident, two aunts in two other different fatal car accidents, an uncle in still another fatal car vs train accident, and finally, my grandmother and grandfather in a fatal car accident? I just tell her that safety is always my priority and hope she understands.
Risks are just a part of life. If the focus of our lives is to live risk free, are we really living?
Finally, If you are like me and you remember how inspired you were the first time you read the poem "High Flight", how can you not feel that the small risks we take as pilots are worth it?
Hey there- I am not a pilot and am considering getting into it. I have been doing some research and came across this video. Could you tell me if this flight in the SR20 was safe? Prudent? There’s also another video in the series (part 2) where he lands IFR at night through a low ceiling which I am curious about. The comments in the post you replied to about risks and flying with family/kids made me wonder. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

cant post links yet:
youtu(dot)be/fMKDNL5twtY

ETA: specifically replied to you based on your comment about mountain flying. Thanks

Last edited:
Hey there- I am not a pilot and am considering getting into it. I have been doing some research and came across this video. Could you tell me if this flight in the SR20 was safe? Prudent? There’s also another video in the series (part 2) where he lands IFR at night through a low ceiling which I am curious about. The comments in the post you replied to about risks and flying with family/kids made me wonder. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

cant post links yet:
youtu(dot)be/fMKDNL5twtY

Id say the only thing he did that was not prudent was giving strangers at a history center his personal info, as well as his poor choice of music, I also found the kids to be pointless ancillary characters which did not add to the video.

As far as the flying, yes it was safe, damn near boring even. In the second video the night landing weather looked really good, Im not seeing how youd wonder if any of this is unsafe, are you a shut in or afraid of planes and 20th century and better technology or something?

Last edited:
The interesting thing is why are you so interested in this guys business?

In the event this is not a joke, or a dig at social media, the answer is that since I have no experience myself, and therefore no point of reference, it is hard to tell whether a video like this with beautiful scenery shows something than can be done routinely and safely or something that glamorizes unnecessary risk. The question occurred to me and I was curious. Downdrafts in mountains can, apparently, easily far exceed the climb rate of single-engine piston aircraft like this SR20, so I was left wondering.

Thanks for your feedback.

In the event this is not a joke, or a dig at social media, the answer is that since I have no experience myself, and therefore no point of reference, it is hard to tell whether a video like this with beautiful scenery shows something than can be done routinely and safely or something that glamorizes unnecessary risk. The question occurred to me and I was curious. Downdrafts in mountains can, apparently, easily far exceed the climb rate of single-engine piston aircraft like this SR20, so I was left wondering.

Thanks for your feedback.

And if it was risk, its not YOUR risk, again I dont see the issue?

The biggest threat is "living" a pointless and boring life.

Frankly if you want to talk to people who live a super risky life you should look into fat people and people who dont put any thought into genetics and breeding before producing offspring.

And if it was risk, its not YOUR risk

Well, continuing to treat your comments as being made in good faith, it should be self-evident that my question about safety is aimed to (1) calibrate my own sense of acceptable risks prior to (2) emulating potentially dangerous behavior. According to you, nothing in that video was unsafe or unwise, which is great news for me because I found it to be inspiring and was strongly motivated to pursue a longtime goal of a PPL after seeing it.

Well, continuing to treat your comments as being made in good faith, it should be self-evident that my question about safety is aimed to (1) calibrate my own sense of acceptable risks prior to (2) emulating potentially dangerous behavior. According to you, nothing in that video was unsafe or unwise, which is great news for me because I found it to be inspiring and was strongly motivated to pursue a longtime goal of a PPL after seeing it.

My comments were in good faith, my concern is with where things are heading and all the misery handwringers inevitably bring upon us all.

The masses who know no better get scared, this both scares and turns on the government who passes more and more laws to make the handwringers FEEL "safe", even though that product does not exist in the world of man, then all normal people pay with further intrusions into their privacy, freedoms and individual liberty.

I know this seems extreme, but pointing out the ridiculousness of handwringers is quite important, even if you have good intentions, we now sadly live in the nation of child protective services, red flag laws, administrative law, no fly lists, FISA warrants, etc, so even if something like that flight was completely safe if enough handwringers start decrying them unsafe its well within reason that child protective services could visit them, the FAA, etc, and these entities have a issue with needing to "do something" because if they dont and they get bad press it could cost them their job, pension and that sweet dental plan, sounds crazy but there is case after case after case of far worse happening for far less.

So do this, just presume people are not "unsafe" or whatever, if you do want to call someone out, ask yourself this; do you believe enough in you accusation that you would put your own skin in the game, ie if you thought those kids were being put in harms way would you give up custody of YOUR kids if those parents could prove you wrong? If you are not willing to face the fate of your own accusations if unfounded, maybe it would be best to keep to yourself.

Understood. I fly around he mountains of NY every time I fly. I guess I would need more information, such as ceilings, weather, etc. I maybe don't have enough information to properly evaluate the risk assessment, but I do feel like low and slow over inhospitable terrain in an underpowered, low performance plane is not somewhere I would want to be with my family aboard. (That was the other thing, two adults and a "small package" in a 150, I know that plane can't carry much).

Just thinking out loud. And I wouldn't mind others being constructively critical of my thinking.

My C150 takes offense at being called “underpowered, low performance”. Even if it is.

Family trips are limited to October to April (65 F temps and lower preferred) and 17 gallons from the home airstrip (2700 grass) unless I pick them up at the nearby 5000’ paved airport. In reality we could head over to KSWF and use their 11817’x150’ runway if absolutely necessary, but if we are not in the air by 5000’, then it is not a good idea anyway.

My comments were in good faith, my concern is with where things are heading and all the misery handwringers inevitably bring upon us all.

On the other hand, we all love to bag on certain YouTubers (Jerry) because they really ARE unsafe. I think we should applaud @hoyasaxa for actually coming here and trying to form an informed opinion instead of just blindly copying something someone threw on YouTube.

if we are not in the air by 5000’, then it is not a good idea anyway.

I think you should be making that call in much less than 5000'. Even on a hot day your takeoff roll on pavement should be under 1000 feet when you're at that low of an elevation. If you're not in the air by 1500' something is not right.

Yes, there was a bit of humor in those takeoff numbers after mentioning the 2 mile long runway. 5000’ gives enough margin to be just taking off by 2500’ and enough overrun to get it back down and stopped without too much risk when I realize that I only just got off the ground at the halfway point. Halfway is always a nice easy number as it is the same point regardless of runway direction.

We are low elevation, but get near 3000’ density altitude sometimes in the hot summer. Not high, but really makes the 150 climb like a rock.

Luckily my son is more often the passenger, and at 30 pounds, we combined barely hit 200. That means we get to fly together all summer long.

My wife and I combined weigh 250lbs. That leaves full fuel and room for more stuff in our 150 and we’re still not at 1600lbs gross.

Flew yesterday and this morning. Plane is running smooth as ever. Both flights were just circles up above the airport at 4000’. Every time there was a change in RPM due to pitch or gusts, it made my brain start looking for a reason.
Today it was smooth sailing. Next step is to fill it all the way up and test how the vent works with full tanks. The finally a short XC flight where I will be out of glide range at least some of the time. After that, I hope to be fully over this incident.
I have a 36” long flexible pipe cleaning brush (for some sort of medical tubing) on order. That will go in the flight bag to always have handy and will swab that vent more often.

Frankly if you want to talk to people who live a super risky life you should look into fat people and people who dont put any thought into genetics and breeding before producing offspring.

Ouch! Pretty rough crowd tonight folks ...:eek::eek:

Understood. I fly around he mountains of NY every time I fly.

I *almost* spewed water on my screen reading that post ... does NY even HAVE mountains?;)

Ouch! Pretty rough crowd tonight folks ...:eek::eek:

I *almost* spewed water on my screen reading that post ... does NY even HAVE mountains?;)
Ever seen the Adirondacks or the Catskills? The answer is yessir! Highest is Mt. Marcy at 5,400.

I guess I somehow missed the joke.

Adirondack_Park_Loop_DennisCoello.jpg
c061347a_5d7e_4313_bda3_977da709ee9b_4d4336c4-37b0-4a81-bafe-5a1ba3e83f03.jpg
userwith-n10.jpg

Still approximately 1350 feet below my house....:lol::lol:

Sure. You can keep your 6800'msl elevation runway all to yourself. :) I lived in Colorado for 20 years, did lots of hiking. It's cool to say you hiked a big peak and topped out well over 14,000', and the views are great! Lots of trailheads start at or near treeline, so the vertical isn't all that impressive, nor is the approach, when you can see from the parking lot to the summit. ;) Give me vast, uninterrupted forests, rivers and streams and multitudes of birds, deer, moose, raccoons, mink, otter, foxes, coyotes, bears... and no other humans around for miles. Welcome to the Adirondack Mountains. There's so much great geography all across this wild United States. Nearly every state has some truly great features.

You forgot porcupines, just saw one of them upstate this past weekend. Everyone always forgets the porcupines!

Back