ABC News : "Passenger dies from Alaska Air plane crash"

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
"Alaska Airlines Flight 3296, operated by Peninsula Airways, ran off the runway while landing at Alaska's Unalaska/Dutch Harbor Airport, airline officials said, and stopped just short of plunging into the waters of the bay.
Passenger David Allan Oltman, 38, of Washington state, died as a result, Alaska State Troopers said on Friday.

This is the first U.S. commercial plane passenger death since a passenger died in a Southwest incident last year.

A statement from Peninsula Airways on Friday said: "It is with our deepest sorrow that we have confirmed that one of our critically injured passengers from PenAir Flight 3296 passed away last night. "

"Our entire team is devastated by this tragic incident," the statement said. "The thoughts of all 1,300 of our employees are with those who were hurt or affected."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa...ka-airlines-plane-crash/ar-AAIY7XR?ocid=ientp

Given the aircraft appears to be intact, I'll be interested to hear the circumstances around the fatality. Was it a result of impact or evacuation?

I would guess unfastened seat belt or flying object. Given that it was a runway runoff nobody was expecting anything so someone not having fastened their belt or maybe not having checked it to verify it was latched seems like a real possibility.

Was it a result of impact or evacuation?

Seems some folks in Alaska seem to think no one can tell them what to do and will unfasten the seatbelt in flight. Or try to hurry things up and unfasten when the mains touch down.

I saw a passenger on a 737 get up and start walking towards the exit as soon as the mains touched down. He went flying when the reversers came on.

If you look at the pic in the news article. It appears that the cabin was breeched next to the prop.

If you look at the pic in the news article. It appears that the cabin was breeched next to the prop.

That was another thought, just hadn't found clear enough photos yet.

Seems some folks in Alaska seem to think no one can tell them what to do and will unfasten the seatbelt in flight. Or try to hurry things up and unfasten when the mains touch down.

I saw a passenger on a 737 get up and start walking towards the exit as soon as the mains touched down. He went flying when the reversers came on.

Did you ask if he learned anything?

That phenomenon is hardly limited to Alaska...

That phenomenon is hardly limited to Alaska...

Flying to Africa is by far the worst I've seen in that regard. People getting up while still taxiing and not listening to the flight attendants.

Flying to Africa is by far the worst I've seen in that regard. People getting up while still taxiing and not listening to the flight attendants.
Africa is bad, but the worst I’ve seen is the Gulf, particularly Bahrain/Kuwait.

Tell them to buckle up, put the light on, past that it’s on them

The prop blade separated when it impacted the rocks and went through the passenger's window and struck him.

Figure the odds...

Figure the odds...
What I find interesting is the only 2 US Part 121 fatalities in the last 10 years were due to the detachment of parts striking the aircraft. Imagine the odds on that.

Yes and No on that....:rolleyes: Seat belt fastened till parked at gate and in the air unless using head..;)

The prop blade separated when it impacted the rocks and went through the passenger's window and struck him.

Figure the odds...
Had a class A accident in my squadron. Pilot got to close to the edge of a taxi way with snow piled up 8 feet or more. Outboard engine hit the snow bank. They feathered #4 engine. Prop blades broke and went flying in every direction. One blade went through the fuselage and under the radioman's seat. Another blade came across the top of the fuselage above the flight engineer, took out the hinges the held the emergency hatch (door). Emergency hatch hit the flight engineer and knocked him out. Plane was a P-3 Orion

What I find interesting is the only 2 US Part 121 fatalities in the last 10 years were due to the detachment of parts striking the aircraft. Imagine the odds on that.
That says something about the safety standards we hold close and dear to us..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pure speculation but I would think a piece of the prop pierced the fuselage and caused the death.

Fuselage+damage-Andrew+RinghouseRinghouse.jpg

I don't think we'll count it when a part detaches due to a failed landing or other maneuver.

I missed it, what caused the overrun? Sounds like a landing accident? Rwy contamination? Reverser failure? Fill me in.

I missed it, what caused the overrun? Sounds like a landing accident? Rwy contamination? Reverser failure? Fill me in.

It sounds as if there was some really squirrely winds that day, caused by the wind (of course) and the hills close to the airport, and the plane landed further down the runway than usual and ran out of runway. All pure speculation right now until the report comes out.

See? Single engine planes ARE safer... If a prop comes apart, it would not slice through the cabin.

David was a friend to many of my co workers and the officers I work with. His wife, Erin, is a well liked school teacher. I didn't know either of them, but it was a shock when the call came in from the Alaska State Troopers for someone to go make notification. damn.

Back