Pitot static check at new transponder install

manac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Manac
Looking at a plane that had a avionics upgrade less than two years ago. Does there need to be a IFR pitot static check signed off in the logs after the installation for IFR flight?
For any flight with the transponder on?
Thanks

Looking at a plane that had a avionics upgrade less than two years ago. Does there need to be a IFR pitot static check signed off in the logs after the installation for IFR flight?
For any flight with the transponder on?
Thanks

There is no way I'd pickup an airplane with a fresh transponder installed without that 91.411 and 91.413 being done and logged at the same time.

There is no way I'd pickup an airplane with a fresh transponder installed without that 91.411 and 91.413 being done and logged at the same time.
Interestingly enough, I ran into this at Silverhawk, they installed a new WAAS transponder and did not do a pitot static check. Claimed not required. For being such rule nazis, I was surprised.

Looked at the regs. As above if a appropriate repair station installed the transponder and certified it to the STC I would be ok with it. The transponder was installed by an IA not a repair station. It will be getting a pitot static check as part of the pre buy.

transponder was installed by an IA not a repair station.
FYI: only a repair station can perform/sign the 413 xspndr check. It's possible, if the 2 year 413 check was still valid on the aircraft and the replacement xspndr had a current bench check then the AP/IA may have installed it with a simple leak check of the static system and check flight. No 413 check required.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, I ran into this at Silverhawk, they installed a new WAAS transponder and did not do a pitot static check. Claimed not required. For being such rule nazis, I was surprised.

I ran into this also down in Columbus, GA, when I had my ESG installed. But I assumed that because I didn’t change my encoder and they didn’t “break” into my pitot/static system there wouldn’t be a problem. When it came annual time my IA had a fit and called the local FSDO. Turns out they said it was legal minor modification,, my IA then said “ok” and signed it off.

The folks I work with have always done the pitot static and xpdr check by date or if the pitot static system was cracked for any reason/repair/etc

Back