Flying into BJC

Eric S

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
X117A
Hey,

As I know there are Colorado members here, I had a question. I'm flying a Pilots and Paws mission from Denton, TX to Denver on Monday the 21st and the requested drop off was north Denver, so I figured BJC would be a good bet. (Multiple runways approaches etc..)

So looking online I notice there are 2 FBOs, and as I'm trying to avoid any handling fees as I'm just dropping off and continuing down to COS, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a public ramp/GA terminal where I can just park for about 20 minutes, drop off the cats and go on my way? Or should I just go to EIK instead?

I did try to lookup info online and the only thing I can find is there are 2 FBOs and no other information. So any help is appreciated.

You can still go to BJC, just park on the corner just n/w of Signature. They don't own that, it's where the old terminal used to be.

Attachments

• bjc parking.png
    bjc parking.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
That being said, a quick stop at Signature BJC will cost you all of $5 for a piston single if you buy 7 gallons fuel, including at the very reasonable self-serve. You can at least get a coffee and some cookies for that.

For those who have parked at the terminal, how do you access the ramp from outside.

Jon

If you park at the terminal you just walk in the door, no problem. The restartuant with good bar b q is open weekends only. It looks like you have the diagram upside down. The terminal and FBO are south of the crosswind runway.
Or go to Boulder.

Last edited:
If you park at the terminal you just walk in the door, no problem. The restartuant with good bar b q is open weekends only. It looks like you have the diagram upside down. The terminal and FBO are south of the crosswind runway.
Or go to Boulder.
I'd go to Erie before Boulder.

All,

Thanks for the advice $5 and some fuel @$4.53 seems surprisingly reasonable, I'm just not used to hearing Signature and reasonable in the same sentence.

Thanks for the input.

Out of curiosity @midlifeflyer why Eire before Boulder? (I picked Eire as an alternate due to driving distance for my pickup)

All,

Thanks for the advice $5 and some fuel @$4.53 seems surprisingly reasonable, I'm just not used to hearing Signature and reasonable in the same sentence.

Thanks for the input.

Out of curiosity @midlifeflyer why Eire before Boulder? (I picked Eire as an alternate due to driving distance for my pickup)
Boulder has serious neighbor issues about noise. Plus it's in the foothills and unless you're really familiar with the area, go-arounds and such can be really interesting. More details here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/airport

You know you really want to re-consider Boulder when the airport's website posts the noise complaint form, and details the complaints for the past 10 years.

PS - Eire is another name for Ireland. Erie is a great lake and county in the US as well as a little town in Colorado with a really great airport. (chortle) (I hate emojis)

@murphey thanks for the insight and apologies for my spelling mistake, I'll choose to blame autocorrect this time :)

@murphey thanks for the insight and apologies for my spelling mistake, I'll choose to blame autocorrect this time :)
Eire v Erie was the punchline in an old Disney movie (Luck of the Irish)...if the hero won the basketball game, the villain (leprecaun) would be forced (happily) to return to Eire. The hero won, of course, but the villain mistakenly said Erie, not Eire, and the last shot was a splash into Lake Erie.

If the dog folks can do Erie there’s zero ramp access issues there. Just the typical ole small air park airport. Fuel and a little terminal building is about all you get there. No fence last time I was there. Might check that.

Be aware of the rising terrain to the south if the wind favors the southbound runway, and there’s a dump not too far west that can attract birds, especially stupid seagulls that don’t get out of the way of airplanes.

If you ran into any weather issues or needed a place to crash overnight, there’s all pilots living in most of the houses with hangars. Someone would put you up probably. I can reach out to a couple folks that live up there also if you needed it.

Erie is fenced as of the last time I was out there, 3-4 years ago, but ramp access is easy. The dump may also be closed, replaced by houses ...

"What? You sold me a house built on a dump?"

"It's in the fine print on page 83 of the disclosure contract ... right under the Rocky Flats Plutonium Wind Dispersement charts."

@denverpilot and @gkainz thanks for the update, will ask them about Erie and see what they say. Currently my plan is to fly on Monday the 21st from DTO -> BGD -> Denver (Drop of the cats in this case) -> COS (As I will be staying with some friends in Colorado Springs for a few days before I head back to TX.)

Guys FYI just spoke to Signature at BJC, its a $39 Handling fee, waived with 7 gallons of fuel, (so far OK) and a non-waveable $30 infrastructure fee. So that ends the debate Erie it is!

You could just land and park on the self serve side. Worst case you come stuck your tail in my hangar if it is only a couple of hours. Got a bathroom and some bottled water in the hangar. PM me if you are interested.

If Erie doesn't pan out for some reason, don't give up on BJC - just don't go to Signature. Use the old Terminal Building (as noted in the chart). Self serve fuel is just across 3/21 to the west. The terminal is easy public access through the building.

Here's a google earth shot showing parking ... easy-peazy
https://tinyurl.com/y4ebk7pk

Edit - I see post #2 already did this ...

All,

Thanks for the input.

Murphy and Denverpilot said it all. Erie is easy access and friendly. Boulder can be problematic for the uninitiated.

In my experience, some FBO's will waive the fee if you're on a Compassion flight with PnP. Worth asking beforehand.

Back