ADS-B install cost - what did you pay?

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
I have read several threads regarding the cost of the ADS-B install as well as this article https://www.flyingmag.com/pilot-say-earning-faas-ads-b-rebate-has-been-expensive

There appears to be some correlation with the type of equipment selected and the overall number of issues with getting the install approved.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm curious what equipment you installed, what you paid for your completed install and how many time you had to fly to get the certification.

I''l start -
Garmin GTX335 - $3000
Install - $600 (8 hours with my mechanic)
Transponder cert and setup - $250

Total - $3850 - $500 rebate = $3350

Certification flight was part of a longer trip that was already planned.

Last edited:
That's probably a min cost....mine was $1,800 for a used GTX 330ES and $300 for Transponder cert. Install was my labor (couple days of reading and a day and a half splicing wires & pins).

$6k for a GTX345 in Arkansas.......

I got a quote for replacing my KT76A with the Stratus ESG - $4.6K all in.

Brian

I had the ESG installed, stratus 2 mounted in pilot footwell, and intercom panel moved for $4500. $500 rebate so $4k total all in.

...mine was $1,800 for a used GTX 330ES and $300 for Transponder cert.

I'm curious about the cert. I bought with a fresh 8130. Does the install still need certification? [replacing a GTX327, Dynon D100 is the altitude encoder]

GDL82 w/ Harness from aircraft spruce = $1800.
4 hours of my time = $0. (signoff & inspection from A&P friend = $0)

ADSB rebate (eventually) - 500.

Total cost: $1300.

I'm curious about the cert. I bought with a fresh 8130. Does the install still need certification? [replacing a GTX327, Dynon D100 is the altitude encoder]
yes....anytime the static or transponder is changed it should be re-certified.

In the Mooney, our GTX345 install was also tied to a GTN750 install, so much more expensive.

In the club's Diamond, the GTX345R with built-in WAAS GPS (tied into non-WAAS G1000) was $8K and change.
We had a GTX345 put into the club Archer as well, I believe the cost was somewhat less because it had a 430W and didn't need to have the built-in GPS option. Can't remember what the tab was, though.
Club R182 had a pre-existing GTX330 that we upgraded to ES for $1400.

The R182 got its ADS-B long before the rebate existed, while the Archer didn't qualify for the rebate because the club had already claimed one for the Diamond. I had zero issues with getting the rebate approved on a single flight on the ones that got the rebate (Mooney and Diamond). The Mooney was a flight solely for the purpose of qualifying for the rebate, while the Diamond just got some extra maneuvers on its flight back to its home drome from the avionics shop.

Lynx NGT-9000 for $4400 plus $1600 install. Includes ATAS and wifi module for EFB mirroring. Great value for an in+out panel solution and ADS-B mandate compliance. I beat the install rush.

uAvionox SkyFyx and EchoUAT, new UAT antenna, new GPS antenna... self installed... about $1050 to $1100 all in, I forget what I paid for the roll of coax.

:)

$6500 for 345 + encoder + antenna replacement, in PA. (Existing 430W)

Last edited:
$2900 -$200 trade for the old transponder = $2700 installed for a Stratus ES. Mounting the Status 2 was another $200.

I didn't pull the trigger but at my last transponder check, the avionics guy quoted me $4500 installed for a new GTX335.

I've supervised half a dozen owner-installed units. None of the owners were mechanics/avioncers and most of them took two hours ( one took 5 hours and three beers) to do the installation (Appareo Stratus ESG). If you mount the altitude encoder on the top or bottom of the ESG, there are four wires that go to the rest of the airplane ... power, ground, GPS antenna, transponder antenna. Why is there such a big deal about this?

Jim

I think I am the lowest cost out there at about $230 all in.

Last week I installed a Navworx ADS600-B under the AMOC using my Garmin 430W as position source (ADS-b OUT+ format). Bought the Navworx box for $230 and installed it myself. Flew for 8 minutes and have a passing PAPR report. Coupled the Navworx box via ARINC to the 430W and now have traffic on the 430W.

AMOC here: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/september/14/navworx-amocs-updated

I think I am the lowest cost out there at about $230 all in.

Last week I installed a Navworx ADS600-B under the AMOC using my Garmin 430W as position source (ADS-b OUT+ format). Bought the Navworx box for $230 and installed it myself. Flew for 8 minutes and have a passing PAPR report. Coupled the Navworx box via ARINC to the 430W and now have traffic on the 430W.

AMOC here: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/september/14/navworx-amocs-updated
Winner.....winner.....chicken dinner!!!!!!

The Navworx box was so cheap I decided to buy a spare when I found another one at $250. So, I have a backup sitting in the closet.

Not sure how much the ADS-B part was...the entire panel overhaul, with a pair of G5's, a GTN-750, a GTX-345, and a USB-6a, was $37,000. That included stripping out the vacuum system, mating everything to the KAP140 AP, and certifying everything to IFR standards. There was another $1000 spent during that time replacing the altimeter, as it wouldn't pass certification, but I count that as a repair and not part of the upgrade. Some of the cost also went into repairing several pitot/static system leaks, but that wasn't directly broken out in the billing, so I just count that in the upgrade.

Probably around $6K of that could be counted as ADS-B out work, including the GTX-345, antennas, wiring, labor. I could probably have saved some on the labor, but the damn thing worked perfectly from the first flight to this day with not a snag in the install at all. A shop that doesn't produce gremlins to chase is much appreciated.

I've supervised half a dozen owner-installed units. None of the owners were mechanics/avioncers and most of them took two hours ( one took 5 hours and three beers) to do the installation (Appareo Stratus ESG). If you mount the altitude encoder on the top or bottom of the ESG, there are four wires that go to the rest of the airplane ... power, ground, GPS antenna, transponder antenna. Why is there such a big deal about this?

Jim

Jim,

Is the Stratus any easier to install than any other ADS-B transponder? If so, do they have an in/out model that is as easy to install?

Jim

Jim,

What if the encoder is left in its original remote position? Is it only the RS232 wires that are in addition to the four you indicated? I bought an entire ESG with the 3i and the WAAS antenna. I now need to decide if I want to install it myself or pay $1,000.

Not sure how much the ADS-B part was...the entire panel overhaul, with a pair of G5's, a GTN-750, a GTX-345, and a USB-6a, was $37,000. That included stripping out the vacuum system, mating everything to the KAP140 AP, and certifying everything to IFR standards. There was another $1000 spent during that time replacing the altimeter, as it wouldn't pass certification, but I count that as a repair and not part of the upgrade. Some of the cost also went into repairing several pitot/static system leaks, but that wasn't directly broken out in the billing, so I just count that in the upgrade.

Probably around $6K of that could be counted as ADS-B out work, including the GTX-345, antennas, wiring, labor. I could probably have saved some on the labor, but the damn thing worked perfectly from the first flight to this day with not a snag in the install at all. A shop that doesn't produce gremlins to chase is much appreciated.

What shop you use?

I have read several threads regarding the cost of the ADS-B install as well as this article https://www.flyingmag.com/pilot-say-earning-faas-ads-b-rebate-has-been-expensive

There appears to be some correlation with the type of equipment selected and the overall number of issues with getting the install approved.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm curious what equipment you installed, what you paid for your completed install and how many time you had to fly to get the certification.

I''l start -
Garmin GTX335 - $3000
Install - $600 (8 hours with my mechanic)
Transponder cert and setup - $250

Total - $3850 - $500 rebate = $3350

Certification flight was part of a longer trip that was already planned.

The quoted article is from 2016. I would certainly hope it is a little different now.

A friend is doing a serious panel upgrade and offered me the STRATUS ESG and 3i being removed at a very good price. I am going to put it in my Cessna. I have two installation quotes, $1,000 and $1700 to $1900. The shop quoting $1000 is closer and have done satisfactory work for me before. No brainer.

Last edited:
Jim,

What if the encoder is left in its original remote position? Is it only the RS232 wires that are in addition to the four you indicated? I bought an entire ESG with the 3i and the WAAS antenna. I now need to decide if I want to install it myself or pay $1,000.

Yes, if the encoder is RS232 and not parallel, only the 232 wires are additional. No big deal.

Jim

but....the problem is getting to the connector and making the connection. It might take more than a few to do that....then there's paperwork. :confused:

This transponder is at the bottom of the stack with an open space below it. The altitude encoder is also easily accessible.

We bought two different GTX345R for installing the ADS-B In/Out system
to our aircraft DA42M-NG and DA42.

1. The first GTX345R for G1000 with installation kit (P/N: 010-01217-03
Includes 011-03303-00) for DA42M-NG,
2. The second GTX345R with GPS WAAS for G1000 with installation kit
(P/N: 010-01217-43 Includes 011-03303-40) and GA 35 GPS antenna with
installation kit (P/N: 013-00235-00) for DA42.

Skybeacon:..........$1750
A&P Install:...........$150
-------------------------------
At time of install:..$1900

- Rebate:.............-$500
-------------------------------
Total:.................$1400

Got my check last night for the rebate.

Last edited:
Tail Beacon, $2,000 installed by me on a Friday at 0700 for nothing. Flew my validation flight at 0900 and passed, got my rebate the following Thursday.
Total cost $1,500 and a fun flight.
Dave

A little less than $4500 for a 335 with a new encoder. Tech had to shift some stuff around in the stack and block off old ADF and KT76 location near the glove box on the 172. New coax and pitot static checks completed. $500 rebate on the way. NJ for reference.

Who can installation two different GTX345R for installing the ADS-B In/Out system to our aircrafts DA42M-NG and DA42? Who can help us? We need technical support and consultation. Who have practical experience, skills to installation GTX345R to aircrafts DA42M-NG and DA42?

1. The first GTX345R for G1000 with installation kit (P/N: 010-01217-03 Includes 011-03303-00) for DA42M-NG.
2. The second GTX345R with GPS WAAS for G1000 with installation kit (P/N: 010-01217-43 Includes 011-03303-40) and GA 35 GPS antenna with installation kit (P/N: 013-00235-00) for DA42.

Back