KHYS TO KLAW, Flight Plan

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

I am planning on flying from Hays, Kansas to Lawton, Oklahoma on December 7, 2019.

I opened my Foreflight app and discovered a lot of "Restricted Air spaces" around KLAW.

So, I planned as follows: "KHYS KCHK NEADS FLECH FOYER KLAW"

This takes me around the restricted areas except for the one just east and north of KLAW.

Could someone explain to me if this is a restricted area also, since it has a fence around it, but what is the name of the restricted air space and its requirements.

Also, could I just file direct (KHYS - KLAW)and ask for "Flight Following" and ATC would automatically route me around the restricted air space if they needed to?

I am instrument rated but neither current or proficient.

Thank you,
Terry

You can file IFR and ATC will keep you legal. If the restricted space isn’t active when you need to pass through they may route you through that area.

I played with the route and direct to reyog then direct to Lawton only adds 4 minutes versus just direct to Lawton and keeps you out of the restricted area. It does route you through the area covered by the Vance and Washita MOA’s but the floor on those are 8000’ so you could always stay under them if you go VFR. If you file IFR odds are good that they’d just pass you through the area at whatever altitude you file.

Your route only adds two minutes to mine so we had the same idea. I was just lazier in terms of what I’d have to key in.

If icing isn’t an issue it should be a nice flight.

gary

Is that a restricted area just west of FLECH?

I sent an email to Team Foreflight for clarification.

Will let you know what they reply.

Terry

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am planning on flying from Hays, Kansas to Lawton, Oklahoma on December 7, 2019.

I opened my Foreflight app and discovered a lot of "Restricted Air spaces" around KLAW.

So, I planned as follows: "KHYS KCHK NEADS FLECH FOYER KLAW"

This takes me around the restricted areas except for the one just east and north of KLAW.

Could someone explain to me if this is a restrictked area also, since it has a fence around it, but what is the name of the restricted air space and its requirements.

Also, could I just file direct (KHYS - KLAW)and ask for "Flight Following" and ATC would automatically route me around the restricted air space if they needed to?

I am instrument rated but neither current or proficient.

Thank you,
Terry

Other than the R5601’s those are all MOA’s. It’s just a short jog around R5601. The MOA’s are all Monday thru Friday ones. Other times by NOTAM. Those types usually don’t get active weekends. The bottom of them all is 8000 anyway. December 7 is Saturday. I think you won’t have to worry much.

Last edited:
Back