Flying without a medical (the legal way)

R2019

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
R2019
For various reasons, my medical expired, and I've little desire to attempt to get a new one. I also have very little free time (not nearly enough to stay proficient), so this isn't a huge thing for me. But I also miss flying, and sometimes just kind of want to get up in the air.

So my question becomes: how open are instructors to just flying around with a pilot who doesn't have a medical and just wants to fly some approaches and such a few times a year? Is it worth asking around, or am I just wasting their time?

For whatever it's worth, I keep my CFI current and don't plan on violating any laws. Just don't want to embarrass myself by asking for this.

I wouldn't have any issues doing this as a CFI and as others have said, you could maybe even find another pilot (non-CFI) who would go up with you and be the legal PIC. When I cared about building hours I would've been eager to go for that chance.

If you go Basic Med, you can fly anything your rated for if the urge to fly solo returns. It’s little more than an annual physical which is a good idea anyway. That is if you didn’t let your medical expire because of any of the disqualifying reasons and needed a SI.

Cheers

Other than Basic Med, I'll add that there are CFI's that have no issue doing occasional Dual with someone who has no intention of ever getting a cert or rating.

My primary instructor told me has a few "ladies of advanced years" that liked flying lessons but never wanted to solo. In his estimation they could have, but just liked doing dual.

For various reasons, my medical expired, and I've little desire to attempt to get a new one. I also have very little free time (not nearly enough to stay proficient), so this isn't a huge thing for me. But I also miss flying, and sometimes just kind of want to get up in the air.

So my question becomes: how open are instructors to just flying around with a pilot who doesn't have a medical and just wants to fly some approaches and such a few times a year? Is it worth asking around, or am I just wasting their time?

For whatever it's worth, I keep my CFI current and don't plan on violating any laws. Just don't want to embarrass myself by asking for this.

I did this for a couple people, one was a older guy, other just didn’t want to fly solo as he was a doc and didn’t have the time to stay proficient even in a trainer 172, personally I just didn’t get the satisfaction out of it and I didn’t charge them more to make up for it, ended up kicking them to someone else who never saw a Hobbs hour he didn’t like.

Why not get into gliders or go basic Med / LSA?

Not really interested in LSA or gliders (IFR is my fav) and I don't quality for Basic Med, either.

Thanks, all. Maybe I'll ask around.

Not really interested in LSA or gliders (IFR is my fav) and I don't quality for Basic Med, either.

Thanks, all. Maybe I'll ask around.

If IFR is your thing maybe just build a good sim?

Not trying to be a jerk, honestly with what IFR flying is really all about and the online interactive communities, if I was just about IFR for fun, think that would be the best bang for the buck so to speak

Sims kinda suck for stick and rudder stuff VMC stuff, but for IFR, well there is a reason they are used sooo much for IFR training and whatnot.

If IFR is your thing maybe just build a good sim?

Not trying to be a jerk, honestly with what IFR flying is really all about and the online interactive communities, if I was just about IFR for fun, think that would be the best bang for the buck so to speak

Sims kinda suck for stick and rudder stuff VMC stuff, but for IFR, well there is a reason they are used sooo much for IFR training and whatnot.

One, I crash sims. Two, I'm not really a computer person. I don't know...just doesn't appeal to me.

One, I crash sims. Two, I'm not really a computer person. I don't know...just doesn't appeal to me.

Might be worth checking out some of the new stuff, it’s changed by leaps and bounds over just the last 5 years or so.

Also I’ve met a good amount of instructors who arnt too comfy in actual.

Might be worth checking out some of the new stuff, it’s changed by leaps and bounds over just the last 5 years or so.

Also I’ve met a good amount of instructors who arnt too comfy in actual.

It's not something I want in my house, to be honest. I'm trying to minimize (which is tough enough with kids).

As for the actual, I'm ok doing everything under the hood. There's something way more satisfying about a flying an approach in a real aircraft, however it happens.

It's not something I want in my house, to be honest. I'm trying to minimize (which is tough enough with kids).

As for the actual, I'm ok doing everything under the hood. There's something way more satisfying about a flying an approach in a real aircraft, however it happens.

Not my cup of tea, but fair enough.

I’d wager it shouldn’t be too hard to find a CFI who wants the Hobbs time with you under the hood.

I should have also asked, do I have to disclose I'm a CFI when I go asking about this? I mean, it's embarrassing enough to show a commercial without the (current) accompanying knowledge...

I should have also asked, do I have to disclose I'm a CFI when I go asking about this? I mean, it's embarrassing enough to show a commercial without the (current) accompanying knowledge...
You don’t have to disclose you have a certification at all.
These are weird questions coming from a CFI.

You don’t have to disclose you have a certification at all.
These are weird questions coming from a CFI.

How so? I'm not speaking legally. I've been out of the community for a long time and have a tendency to step on toes/do social things the wrong way.

Have to? No

Should you? Yes.

Otherwise they might not want to fly with you as they might think you’re a little off, real world if they have any sense (most don’t) they’ll run you in the FAA airmen’s database and figure it out on their own.

Have to? No

Should you? Yes.

Otherwise they might not want to fly with you as they might think you’re a little off, real world if they have any sense (most don’t) they’ll run you in the FAA airmen’s database and figure it out on their own.

Fair enough. Though I haven't flown in over 10 years, so I suspect any CFI will think I'm a little off anyway.

I've been doing 1-2 flights per year with various instructors for the past few years. I've never had any of them complain about taking my money.

Fair enough. Though I haven't flown in over 10 years, so I suspect any CFI will think I'm a little off anyway.
Many of us have taken longer than that off. If you were proficient before, you'll get right back into it. No reason not to tell whoever you fly with everything you've written here.

If you go Basic Med, you can fly anything your rated for if the urge to fly solo returns. It’s little more than an annual physical which is a good idea anyway. That is if you didn’t let your medical expire because of any of the disqualifying reasons and needed a SI.

Cheers

Wrong. There are a lot of airplanes for which you maybe rated that a prohibited under basic med.

Last edited:
Well, first FBO said their policy was a valid medical before any kind of flying. Onward...

Well, first FBO said their policy was a valid medical before any kind of flying. Onward...
That's ridiculous, especially if you're flying with one of their CFIs. What do they do when somebody interested in taking flight lessons walks in off the street and wants a "discovery flight?"

Find another FBO.

@R2019 that was likely a part 141 school. Pay $12,000 and we’ll get you a rating.

They aren’t set up for you to drop in once a quarter. You pay now and get your license in 60 days and move on.

Call more places. Smaller airports. Your ask is very common. I’ve done it myself. Find an older CFII comfortable in actual and have at it.

No part 61 school requires a medical to start. This really isn’t a big deal and lesser if you’re under the hood in VMC.

It was not 141 - regular little FBO an uncontrolled field. It's ok. Discouraging, but I'll keep looking.

Just say you’re a rusty pilot if it makes you feel better. If I was a CFI, I’d have no problems taking your money. We might both be surprised how fast your skills and passion come back.

This is my plan when I get to the point, hopefully a long time from now, when I can't get a medical or just don't feel comfortable flying on my own. Either fly with friends or pay a CFI a few times a year just to get some time in.

I will say, Poplar Grove near me said they wouldn’t rent their LSA eligible J-3 to me without a medical.

No problem providing instruction though, just no solo.

Back