Just took my first lesson!

Zack

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Zack
I took my discovery flight about two weeks ago just to make sure I really wanted to pursue getting a license, and that discovery flight sealed the deal. I scheduled my first lesson and just completed it yesterday. We went over all of the required documents in the ground portion, then went out and learned how to preflight the 172, then practiced 4 fundamentals, taxing, takeoff, maneuvering, descending, trimming, etc (the basics) in the air.

I was a bit nervous about the takeoff because on my discovery flight I didn't feel right while we were on the climb out. This time was much better, maybe because I had to focus on climbing and holding an airspeed.

That said, I am looking forward to the next lesson (slow flight, steep turns, and stall recovery) and eventually getting my PPL!

I took my discovery flight about two weeks ago just to make sure I really wanted to pursue getting a license, and that discovery flight sealed the deal. I scheduled my first lesson and just completed it yesterday. We went over all of the required documents in the ground portion, then went out and learned how to preflight the 172, then practiced 4 fundamentals, taxing, takeoff, maneuvering, descending, trimming, etc (the basics) in the air.

I was a bit nervous about the takeoff because on my discovery flight I didn't feel right while we were on the climb out. This time was much better, maybe because I had to focus on climbing and holding an airspeed.

That said, I am looking forward to the next lesson (slow flight, steep turns, and stall recovery) and eventually getting my PPL!

Cool. Go get em

Glad you had a good experience,enjoy.

You got the logbook...now you are committed. :D

My first flight cost $22: $20 for the flight, and $2 for the logbook. I asked the CFI why he was charging me $2 for the logbook, and he said "because your next lesson is Tuesday..." That was that, and 6 months later I had a certificate and my own plane.

Enjoy the ride!

Congratulations! Welcome and try to remember to just enjoy the journey. It's really difficult, but more rewarding that anything else when you get that handshake on checkride day. Then it's on to IR, multi, commercial... lol... always learning...

Congrats! Kinda like the first time you try cocaine, ain’t it? Except more addictive. And expensive.

Congrats on taking the first step into a bigger reality. Be safe, study hard...and before you know it, you'll have that certificate in your hand and no money in the checkbook!

When you hit a road block, persevere - it'll likely be something that seems like a big deal; then you'll have an "ah ha" moment, and get over the hump. PPL is a mostly a physical skill, like riding a bike or juggling or getting a yo-yo to "walk-the-dog". Give yourself time to build the muscle memory - you will get it. . .

You are a danger to everyone around you; and frankly your instructor should be fired on the spot.

(that's "welcome, friend" in POA-speak.)

:)

Seriously welcome to the skies; it's a fun adventure!

I love hearing your enthusiasm. That goes a long way toward becoming a safe and proficient pilot. Good Flying!

Enjoy the journey! As you will no doubt discover, us pilots enjoy the journey just about or if not more than the actual destination! Seeing training through to your private will take time and dedication but do yourself a favor and stick with it!

As an aside— I’m still on my first log book almost 7 years later( only have about 3 pages left.). I frequently look back at all the experiences I’ve had and wonder how I got to be so lucky. I’ll have the book until the day I die and probably know exactly where it is just so I can look back at it and remember my earliest days of flying. ;)

My first lesson, just after lift off, a rocker assembly came apart on a newly rebuilt engine in the Traumahawk. I thought the poor little airplane was going to shake itself apart. It was a little tough to go up again for lesson number two.
In the more than thirty years since, a stupid deer run out in front of me and killed my plane, I had an engine croak, and I've experienced all kinds of other less critical stuff in between. Not much bothers me anymore. Good luck Jr. Birdman. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

I’ve only had my certificate for about a month so I can’t impart the kind of wisdom some of these guys can. I’ll say this though..... stay with it. No matter how long it’s seeming to take, or what kind of roadblocks come along.. some might be learning related, mine were money related. It will all be worth it in the end I assure you.

Awesome! My very first flight also felt uneasy on takeoff. Hit a few bumps and my brain and stomach started into an argument. Peace was quickly made and haven’t had an issue since.

Enjoy the ride!

Back