What do you know now that you didn't know when you got your ticket?

If ATC says "what speed can you give me" and you are in a complex plane, give them your gear speed, not what you think you can slow down from. It will basically always be fast enough.

My gear speed is 125, but I can do 180'ish while being vectored, which is relevant. They can't give speeds inside the FAF in any case, so the speed prior to that is definitely relevant in my mind. Hence, I let them know I can give them 180 to just shy of the FAF on a precision mins day. It's been gold for sequencing at JFK, TEB, ATL, LAX, PHL, and MSP. If it's a visual or non-precision mins day, then I can stay fast inside the FAF, too, as I can defer the gear and defer the speed reduction until around 2nm out, level off (getting high on the glideslope, and that's fine for non-precision or visual day), get gear/flaps, then drop like a stone. Advising ATC that I can give them 180 till 2-3nm out is very handy for them in terms of sequencing.

I hear you on the wind correction, was just thinking the same thing today. I've had one controller who was on top of it, assigning what appeared to be a 50 deg intercept to the localizer in terms of raw numbers, but accounting for the xwind, it ended up being a nice 30 deg intercept. So, until the day comes where they can assign a magnetic course to fly instead of a heading, I'd have to say you should still fly it as an assigned heading, despite them sometimes not allowing for it and then having to correct afterwards...but I can see why you might just say, "screw it, I'll help them and fly it as a course instead." It's just a bit of a slippery slope in my mind.

These observations come not from direct personal experience, but are things I've picked up since getting my ticket:
- While the regs are the same across the US, ATC norms can vary dramatically from region to region, and even from airport to airport within a region.
- While the same regs supposedly apply to both Alaska and the rest of the US, aside from the physics of flight, there is very little similarity between aviation in Alaska and aviation anywhere else in the US.

@Jim_R I flew coast to coast and back a few years ago, wondering how much variety I'd really see in terms of ATC norms. I'd categorize airspace as either being busy, or not busy. Generally speaking, all the busy airspace I flew into was handled in much the same way across regions. All of the non-busy airspace was handled much the same way from place to place. Sometimes towers will have some local procedures, but they all fall into similar categories of instructions. The names change, but the spirit of the instructions remains the same. Do you feel differently?

The Alaska observation is interesting and sounds about right.

Outdated now. We don't say "and also with you" anymore. Its now, "and with your spirit."

And here I thought we were well within Rite II...or has Rite I made a comeback?

@Jim_R I flew coast to coast and back a few years ago, wondering how much variety I'd really see in terms of ATC norms. I'd categorize airspace as either being busy, or not busy. Generally speaking, all the busy airspace I flew into was handled in much the same way across regions. All of the non-busy airspace was handled much the same way from place to place. Sometimes towers will have some local procedures, but they all fall into similar categories of instructions. The names change, but the spirit of the instructions remains the same. Do you feel differently?

The Alaska observation is interesting and sounds about right.
Perhaps "dramatically" was a bit...overdramatic. And as I mentioned, I don't have personal experience of all the things I think are different, so perhaps some of the impressions I have gathered are false. And maybe the differences I have personally experienced are just "meh" to most folks.

But I think that what you might get used to flying in a certain area could mislead you in what to expect flying elsewhere. Here are some of the things I'm thinking about:
- My home base is around "busy Class B" in the Houston area. But even though my home base is underneath overlapping Class B from two airports, it's not as busy as the Dallas airspace is. Differences in regions:
-- I'm always assigned a SID/STAR in both regions. However, I'm almost always on vectors within ~100 miles of my home airport, whereas I'm far more likely to be stuck on the SID/STAR in the Dallas area except when I'm under tower control.
-- In hundreds of flights around the Houston area, the only time I've ever been cleared through Houston B over Hobby was at 2am. Never been cleared over IAH at any time. I've been routed directly over DFW 4 of the 5 times I've had a route that made sense to do that.
-- Houston has an east-west VFR corridor to get GA planes between the Class B's of HOU and IAH. Maybe that's not completely unique, but there's nothing else like it within 500 miles. It's very familiar to locals, but I'd guess visitors from elsewhere who are used to flying around "their" Class B might be a little surprised when they come here and find that everyone gets shunted through this corridor when they're transiting the area. (I think there are local quirks / routines like that in many places that are familiar to the locals but maybe not intuitive to the visitor.)

Other things I had in mind when I made my earlier post:
- Austin approach (Class C) freqs are way more congested than Houston approach freqs, at least for the GA pilot. Intuitively, I expected the reverse. Guess the Bravo just gets a lot more resources to cover it.
- TEC routes are apparently pretty common/routine in congested California airspace. I never hear them discussed anywhere else. Maybe they exist in busy east coast areas, too, but I never hear anyone talk about them (and if they don't...why not? Isn't the DC-to-Boston corridor about as congested as the Santa Barbara-to-San Diego corridor?). TEC routes simply don't exist in my part of the world.
- For some of the airports that have CD / Ground / Tower freqs, it's not guaranteed that you always call CD for clearance. I've been handed to Ground for that before. Sometimes there's direction on the ATIS to do that, and sometimes you don't know until you try to do what you think is "standard" and someone tells you they do it differently, here. (I think I've also had a Ground controller tell me to call a CD freq (or maybe phone #) that wasn't in the AFD before, too.)
- Some Ground controllers will set you up with Flight Following prior to takeoff. Some say they can't, and tell you to request it from Departure once airborne. I've seen that from two nearby airports handled by the same Departure freq. I don't know what creates that difference.
- Spend a few hundred hours flying within 300 miles of Houston or along the Gulf coast, and you'll be surprised the first time you get close to some mountains, and you hear ATC tell you something like "we may lose comm with each other in the next few minutes. If so, switch to xxx.xx and try to raise so-and-so in 35 miles," or "you've flown beyond radar surveillance. Radar services terminated, change to advisory freq and maintain VFR."

Etc.

Last edited:
- Spend a few hundred hours flying within 300 miles of Houston or along the Gulf coast, and you'll be surprised the first time you get close to some mountains, and you hear ATC tell you something like "we may lose comm with each other in the next few minutes. If so, switch to xxx.xx and try to raise so-and-so in 35 miles," or "you've flown beyond radar surveillance. Radar services terminated, change to advisory freq and maintain VFR."
Etc.
A friend of a friend was a CFI that did all his training and instructing in Florida. He then moved to California and got a job instructing at KSMO. His first flight out of KSMO was an instrument student and they were going to do actual because of a light rain storm. They missed at KVNY and Burbank Approach Control (pre SoCal days) gave them a northeasterly heading. Then, it was shift change at approach control and they forgot about him. He and his student perished on the mountains above Pasadena.

- Some Ground controllers will set you up with Flight Following prior to takeoff. Some say they can't, and tell you to request it from Departure once airborne. I've seen that from two nearby airports handled by the same Departure freq. I don't know what creates that difference.

Quite simply - a keyboard.

Some Class D's have them, some don't. Some just have controllers that are either too busy or too lazy to pick up the phone and call the Tracon or agency in order to get a flight following code.

An example in my part of the world is Ryan airfield (KRYN) The two Class C airports nearby have keyboards attached to our radar scopes that we can type in flight information and get a beacon code, be it local or flight following. Davis Monthan's tag is a "J" while Tucson's code is a "T." Ryan doesn't have a code. They have a radar feed but no way to alter the information depicted on the scope itself such as aircraft data tags. So they either tell pilots flying out of there to request the code with approach or departure. Sometimes when they're not busy or someone that knows me (There are 4 controllers at Ryan that I used to work with) will call Tucson Tracon, have them type in my information/request and come up with a beacon code for me.

Last edited:
None of us will ever know it all.
All licenses/ratings are just the start of learning.
Cruise clearances come in handy out here in the west over the mountains.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Quite simply - a keyboard.

Some Class D's have them, some don't. Some just have controllers that are either too busy or too lazy to pick up the phone and call the Tracon or agency in order to get a flight following code.

An example in my part of the world is Ryan airfield (KRYN) The two Class C airports nearby have keyboards attached to our radar scopes that we can type in flight information and get a beacon code, be it local or flight following. Davis Monthan's tag is a "J" while Tucson's code is a "T." Ryan doesn't have a code. They have a radar feed but no way to alter the information depicted on the scope itself such as aircraft data tags. So they either tell pilots flying out of there to request the code with approach or departure. Sometimes when they're not busy or someone that knows me (There are 4 controllers at Ryan that I used to work with) will call Tucson Tracon, have them type in my information/request and come up with a beacon code for me.

There are airports with keyboards that can't initiate FF due to the overlying approach control wanting to control that. KCMA and KOXR are two of them. Every towered airport even relatively close to them can give you FF on the ground - whether under SBA/SCT/BFL/FAT/NCT. The problem is Mugu Approach doesn't want them doing it.

1. IFR proficiency wears off WAY faster than you’d think. Seriously, go shoot practice approaches. File IFR even on a VFR day if it’s been a while and ask for an approach even if it’s not logable. It helps.
2. Do not fly into IMC with any sort of head cold. I felt fine besides being a little stuffy and spatial disorientation tried its hardest to kill me that flight.
3. ATC is very accommodating if they can, Dont be afraid to ask for anything.
4. ATC can give wrong or unsafe clearances. Of course I knew this before but never took it seriously until I realized I was being vectored below MVA right next to a series of towers
5. Know your GPS. Can’t emphasize that enough

- No matter how much you spend or what you buy, you will always want more upgrades.
- No matter how much you spend or what you buy, you will always want another/different airplane.
- Night can make it hard to see the clouds you are supposed to avoid.
- Taildraggers are great, taildragger pilots are annoying as hell.
- Once you know a plane, fuel burns can be trusted. Don't freak out and load too much or too little.
- I have yet to be overly aggressive, but I am often overly cautious.
- Airplane ownership is about financial discipline and priorities, not about making the most money.
- For 99.9% of owners / renters, there is no justification, time, money, or otherwise, and that's okay.
- Little airplanes are not reliable traveling machines, but when the stars line up...

-The weather is approaching faster than you think
-The weather is worse than you think
-Demonstrated crosswind maximum means something different when your family is in the plane
-short runways are shorter than they seem
-your engine will make new noises when someone new is on board (don't visibly react)
-Checklists are important for a reason, don't think that you'll remember everything every time
-use oxygen at night above 6k
-you will make more minor mistakes the longer your cross country flights become
-never think you are smarter or faster than the weather

new private pilots starting instrument training right after they get their certificate is too soon. Yes, we do it in the 141 training world everyday, but it is far from ideal. You can’t buy experience.

i agree, also there is the 50 hour XC requirement. I tell my students to come back when they have at least 25-30 hours XC.

Back