Want to buy a plane. What's your take?

Don't dismiss James' recommendation for a seaplane. I'm a dumb**** airline guy too, but got my SES about a year ago and had a friggin' blast. Cessna 185 on floats, baby!

We put 25k down on a 115k RV9. Payment is just over 600 a month, insurance for this new pilot was 1200, and hanger is 350. We put 40 bucks per tach hour away for maintenance and engine. It’s all been really affordable for this middle class family living in Commifornia. It helps that the RV does 160 knots in 7 gallons per hour! Yes. We max out the 401k as well, plus more in the retirement department. Just get a solid plane from the get go. No projects. There will be less unexpected costs. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I read $2100 per month plus $40/hr for the nut and maintenance and hangar? That seems doable.

That's great. So you have what, somewhere between 12-14 grand a month of disposable income? How much of that do you want to spend on an airplane? All of it? Stop effing around and get a TBM or a King Air. :) But most people don't spend every dime of their disposable income on an airplane - which is why I asked the question. What are you comfortable spending?

Exactly! That’s what I’m talking about. All you rich guys going cheap when it comes to buying aircraft. Just like my brother. He’s a controller and makes way more than me and flys a C150. :rolleyes:

Both my aircraft equal my annual salary and annual operating costs are less than 1/4 of my annual salary. Get off your *** and buy a serious XC machine. All that TSP / 401K crap doesn’t matter. Get a gratuitous money pit while you’re young enough to enjoy it!

Exactly! That’s what I’m talking about. All you rich guys going cheap when it comes to buying aircraft. Just like my brother. He’s a controller and makes way more than me and flys a C150. :rolleyes:

Both my aircraft equal my annual salary and annual operating costs are less than 1/4 of my annual salary. Get off your *** and buy a serious XC machine. All that TSP / 401K crap doesn’t matter. Get a gratuitous money pit while you’re young enough to enjoy it!

Funny, I don’t feel like a ‘rich guy’. I’d guess I’m in the bottom 50% of folk on this forum.

I have to make a couple quick observations first:

#1 How the heck did you get the username Captain? Seems like handle would have been taken!

#2 I always find it interesting that ATP level pilots don't know just what they want...nothing at all wrong with you asking...just always figured you guys knew all the planes, etc.

Several questions:

Are you a CFI or CFII?

Lots of pilots (older ones) often have a side job. Do you have any side job that you could use to justify some business trips in the plane to get some tax relief?

Do you really need more than 4 seats...only asking because 5+ seats eliminates the wife friendly Cirrus options?

Where do you live in FL...more specifically, what airport would the plane be hangared at?

If you can think of it another way, what is your max budget you would want to pay per hour...$150, $200, $300, etc? That might tell you whether rental is a better option.

Same goes for hours you think you'll fly each year? Less than X may be better to rent.

Do you think one of your kids wants to learn to fly? Same plane?

As an owner I would suggest at your income level to own the plane outright (cash.) Save for about 14 months or so. Use that time to research, try out different planes, figure out the hangar, figure out a mechanic and maybe a valid business use. Then put down whatever you've saved minus $7k or so for the annual. While you are researching you might find a 6 seater or 310 / Barron that someone wants a partner in. Living in your airspace ADSB out will be a must so another thing to understand before you buy.

My wife flew for the airlines for awhile. She still remembers the 911 effect and as good as you guys have it now it can also go the other way fast. Sure would be nice to own it outright if times are tough or your 1st class medical becomes an issue vs not being paid to fly and stuck with an airplane payment...especially when you're in a position now to be able to avoid more risk.

I hope you find the right plane for you. Ownership can be awesome. But then again the next annual might have surprises. We finally got sick of our old windshield so this annual us more than others. Just the windshield and labor are about what I spend on a week long dive trip in Cozumel.

Oh, I missed your post and it was a good one too. When you say '310' you mean a Cessna 310, right? I can't imagine taking on the cost of a multi to be honest.

Yes, I was referring to a Cessna 310.

I'd agree that the expenses are definitely higher - about 30% per mile when comparing a single to an equivalent twin (in the case of a Lance, you'd be comparing it to a Seneca, but a 310 is close). But it's not just about miles in your case, it's also about hours and traveling. So a Lance sounds like a good option. If you get too much "fun" plane then you'll find you don't use it as much because you feel like you need to go someplace. I definitely have found that as I move up the ranks.

Knew a guy who had a 210 for traveling and a Champ for fun.

Storm season is mostly over, try renting several planes, taking the kids with you as you get checked out, and see how they respond to the idea of flying with Dad in small planes.

Try both high wing and low wing, the family is more likely to prefer high, for the active sight seeing, and there are small side advantages, the sun does not bake you on bright days, and the wings shed rain while you open umbrellas. Doors on both side are a plus in my family.

Low wing has the advantage of simpler retractable gear, for higher cruise speeds.

I flew Piper for my instrument and commercial tickets, and liked them, but my family is an active follower of the world beneath us, and my sons often know just where we re from looking and following on the chart.

Most of my time has been in Cessna 150, 172, 177, and 182. In addition to the training, I have flown 2 Beechcraft twins and a Piper twin, plus right seat one time in a Piper Navajo Chieftain (Very nice plane).

I suspect that for the longer time of ownership, a six seat single would fit the needs best, but the interval of finding the connection the family makes with family flying, a rental would be money well spent.

As a fellow Florida resident, there is nothing better to flying over endless traffic. Two of us left around the same time (2am), I arrived in PA 9 hours later, he took 21 hours to get to TN.

Tom

Captain, you might be thinking of Beechtalk or the twin Cessna forum. POA is just a bunch of regular old guys and gals.

the other places are nice too, but a different demographic. We welcome everybody here, as long as you like airplanes!

So I read $2100 per month plus $40/hr for the nut and maintenance and hangar? That seems doable.

The insurance is 100 a month and I’m a new pilot. All In about 1050 a month without flying it. Pretty easy at your income level. Though I do have an eab. Much easier to maintain and operate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey Captain, I too am an airline (Cargo) Captain. Bought a ‘65 Mooney C about 5 years ago. Already had the house and all vehicles paid off - wrote a check for the airplane. Have enjoyed every minute of it, flying about 150-200 hours per year commuting to work and taking trips mostly with my wife.

With a couple of kids to travel with, the Lance provides a great cabin with baggage capability. If you haven’t flown one, try it out. The Lance glides like a...well, it doesn’t glide in my book. It just falls gracefully. But i think your family would enjoy it. I flew Cessna 210s in college and loved them, but the cabin is not as comfy as the Lance and the gear might be very expensive to fix if certain problems crop up. An A36 Bonanza is a sweet ride, really a good 4 seater with some baggage capability. More expensive to buy but flies great. It can haul quite the load of the Lance but it is a pilots airplane.

I’ve looked at twins and still might get one. My insurance would triple, tiedown in Memphis (where I work) would double, fuel and maintenance would be more also. But my wife really likes the Lance/Saratoga/Seneca cabin and also would like a real air conditioner. So we are looking at Senecas. Not many good ones out there in my price range. I’ve looked at Barons, they fly great but are less comfortable for me than my Mooney (I’m 6’3”) but I might do one anyway for the quality of build and the joy of flying it.

I discovered with the Mooney it’s better to pay an above average price for a well equipped and maintained airplane than to get a low cost “good deal.”

Best wishes on your purchase! I am
So glad I pulled the trigger on the same idea a few years ago. Worth every penny.

Captain, you might be thinking of Beechtalk or the twin Cessna forum. POA is just a bunch of regular old guys and gals.

the other places are nice too, but a different demographic. We welcome everybody here, as long as you like airplanes!

Having been a member of the Twin Cessna forum for probably 7 years and a member of the MU-2 forum now for close to 2, I'd agree that those groups have a much higher average household income than we do. That said I have found both groups to be very welcoming and I've never felt like anyone's looked down on me for being the "poor folk."

Beechtalk, I've got an account there and logged on a few times, definitely did not feel welcomed, but everyone's experience is different and many prefer it there.

PoA, we run the full gamut of incomes and backgrounds, and I'd venture that Captain's stated income puts him solidly in the top half earning bracket, if not top quarter.

The lance would be a good choice,don’t forget to figure in the sales tax in the purchase price. Florida is not aviation friendly when it comes to sales tax

The lance would be a good choice,don’t forget to figure in the sales tax in the purchase price. Florida is not aviation friendly when it comes to sales tax

True for buying, but maintenance and avionics is tax free.

Tom

I love the PA-32 as a family truckster. The "Chevy Suburban" of the skies. But also there's the C210, Bonanza and other similar birds.

I think Rgbeard had the best answer in post #5, for a mission of evacuating a family of four adult-size people when a hurricane approaches.

An A-36 Bonanza is what I first thought of. It would allow loading a bulky item, in case that’s needed in the evacuation.

Best bang for your buck would be a Lance. Need extra room? Done. Need extra useful load? Done. Need to haul extra bodies? Done. You can afford it and afford to fly and maintain one without pinching your new salary. Little more on the training than a 4 seater but for an all around hauler with decent cross-country speed, seems like a no-brainer. Of course, I just bought one but I spent almost 2 years investigating what my next plane should be and ended up here.

I'm also in Florida; KBOW.

Ron

Generally speaking:
Buying a plane is a PITA. (Going through it now)
Selling one is even worse.

There is not a plane on the market that EXACTLY meets anyone's mission.
The best you can do is find something that is occasionally close enough to get by.

You can close on the airplane in another state and avoid the sales tax. I’ve flown to SC and KS to do closings and avoid the state sales tax.

Oh, I missed your post and it was a good one too. When you say '310' you mean a Cessna 310, right? I can't imagine taking on the cost of a multi to be honest.

I’m a situation similar to yours. I went with a Cessna 310 Q. I paid cash for it and am redoing the panel now. I would definitely look at the 310. It’s a lot airplane for less than a single. It costs about $4-500 to fill up but one trip gets you about 900nm. I do a lot of round trips without getting gas and taking advantage of cheaper fuel where I keep the plane.

Because we go to training so much Avemco gave me a pretty good discount. I pay about $2200 a year in insurance. I had zero 310 time with that policy. Now that I have the avionics in, I’ll have to adjust the Hull value and insure it for more. It will probably raise the insurance another $1k.

I did form an LLC and put the airplane it. I also pay $500/mo for a hanger. Hangers are expensive where I live because of supply and demand. I was lucky to get a new hanger and more spacious box hanger vs a T-hanger for that price.

When it comes to hangers, you also need to budget for supplying the hanger. I have cleaners, tools, bench stock screws, chocks, an electric tow bar, and of course the important items such as a fridge, beer, and cigars.

You also have to budget for recurring mtx. I brought a plane cheap and it has been sitting. I knew there were going to be unusual mtx costs. I’ve had several minor mtx issues but I’ve spent about $1000/mo in repairing those issues.

Regarding an air conditioner, be sure to checkout ArticAir’s portable AC. This is not a swamp cooler or ice box. This is a real AC. I’m having it installed in my 310. My mechanic has even decided to be a dealer after seeing this.

https://www.arcticaircooler.com/category-s/1477.htm

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I bought my 310 in March and have done a lot of work on it since then. It’s been an expensive year but it will all be worth it when it’s done.

You can close on the airplane in another state and avoid the sales tax. I’ve flown to SC and KS to do closings and avoid the state sales tax.

Not sure what state you live in but most states require you to prove you’ve paid tax before you can register it in your home state.

I have 3 kids no car pmts and slightly larger mortgage + prop taxes. 401k is maxed + 529s and other retirement/emergency savings.

$300k doesn’t support a Lance, IMO. If your wife is totally on board and happy with the home etc. maybe, but I would think it would be tight.

I’m really surprised at all the comments around larger/bigger/faster and no problem with your income (unless that’s sarcasm).

I think you should downsize your budget to something you can pay cash for or get a partner. How much fun flying are you planning to do after getting home from the airlines?

Good point. I was thinking Lance cause I could get all of us in it (I think) for evac in the event of a hurricane.

When the big one isn't on the door step I'd like to take peeps up to A) show they've been looking at the world sideways, and B) go local (within say 500 miles) and see stuff. Trips to KEYW or KATL or KPNS...that sort of stuff. Maybe just KTPA and go to Busch Gardens for the day.
Tampa exec (KVDF) is almost walking distance from Busch Gardens.

If $300k doesn't support a Lance, $150k doesn't support a C150.

This is why I keep asking about the OP's budget, which we never get an answer to. Talking about overall income when trying to figure out how much plane you can afford is pretty much worthless, IMO.

The practical way to approach airplane ownership (for most pilots) is to start with a simpler aircraft to experience ownership and gradually step up to a more complex aircraft. There's no hurry and no need to own a $250,000 airplane right off the bat. You may find that the simpler and less expensive airplane suits your needs just fine. A partnership may be an even better way for you to experience the reality of ownership at a fraction of the cost. Whatever approach you take, having a large financial cushion is better then not having one. Good luck!

Honestly I'm sorta new at making decent money. Last January my airline pay was just $87 per hour. Now with a new contract and upgrade I'm at $208. Add wife's $74k annual salary and you get just short of the $300k I mentioned.

Up til now the plan was to dig out of debt. We've done that now minus the house and cars so I'm a bit hesitant to add debt to buy a plane. Our saving are lite (4 digits, not 5) but with the boys at 16 and 14 I sorta don't want to wait....

OK.. here comes the obligatory cautionary post..
My wife and I raised three sons. Our combined income never exceeded 1/3 of what you're currently making, and most times it was closer to 1/4 or less, although truth be told for the last several years of our full-time working lives it was because I was maxing out my 403b. Except for the first year or two of our married lives, before we had kids, we almost NEVER had less than five digits of savings, and were well into six digits before I even considered buying into a SHARE of a cheap Cherokee. Didn't own a plane outright until we had NO debt, including paying off our mortgage. With two teenage sons and a mortgage (meaning, you own a house where you may need to drop five figures at ANY time for a roof, major repair, who knows), five figures of savings is MANDATORY. The idea of taking on debt to finance an expensive plane because you just got a very, VERY nice bump in pay is not very clear thinking in my opinion.
If I was in your shoes (and I never HAVE been, nor ever will be, so what do I know), I'd pay off the debt you DO have as fast as possible (especially the car loans, unless they're ridiculously low rate loans), max out every retirement plan you have available, and then set aside a specific amount per month to SAVE towards a cash airplane purchase. Once you've proven to yourself you can do that comfortably, then the amount you've been comfortably setting aside to buy the plane will turn into the money it takes to use and maintain the plane, and you'll know you can do it.
One of the worst mistakes you can make when you all of a sudden have more money is to start spending it all and assume it'll always be there. A friend of mine, wonderful fellow, hit the lottery years ago to the tune of $1.5 million. He was broke a year and a half later, and now works at Lowe's. I've never made more than than $90K/year gross (before 403b contributions... that's gross salary), am debt-free, and just barely crossed the seven figure mark to allow for a nice life for the rest of our time together here on this earth.

Don't finance unless you have the money to pay cash but your CPA helps you find a way where financing is actually beneficial in the longterm. If you were a happy family living on what you made before, CONTINUE living that way, bank the rest, and THEN buy the plane.

Funny, I don’t feel like a ‘rich guy’. I’d guess I’m in the bottom 50% of folk on this forum.
LOL... if you're the bottom 50%, then I must be the underlayment.

Tampa exec (KVDF) is almost walking distance from Busch Gardens.

If $300k doesn't support a Lance, $150k doesn't support a C150.

To each his own. If you’re single or DINK or retired, the C-150 or bigger works on $150/year.

If you have young kids and a spouse or anyone relying on you, I don’t believe the C-150 is in that equation unless you pay cash for it with an engine reserve saved, and your debts are paid off (mortgage on primary residence being your call, but no student loans, auto loans etc.) retirement plans maxed + extra safety net savings and college or whatever for those kids funded. Plus, braces or whatever shouldn't be a struggle or you’re looking at buying adult toys before being really ready (braces aren’t happy occasions but the event shouldn’t financially impact your lifestyle)

Once you’re squared away there, go for it, and with 3-kids and a SAHM wife, $150 didn’t cut it for me.

Others clearly view it differently. I’ve been laid off. I want 12+ months salary saved liquid, but definitely at least 6 months.

I know people who’ve gotten livably sick (no life insurance to the spouse but they were unable to work).

Things happen. Not that easy to monetize a plane.

Real easy to stop renting one if your income situation changes.

You could always partner with someone. That is what I did and it’s has worked out great so far.

Also, unless you have 6 months worth of expenses in your savings account, don’t buy an airplane.

When you do buy one, buy an A36.

Agreed @atbroome !!!

I will say I never thought “I” could afford an airplane which plays into my thinking. I grew up in a blue collar family neighborhood where that wasn’t even a consideration. No motorcycles or boats or fun items that didn’t directly benefit the family.

But once I got laid off, I became even more conservative. I essentially haven’t flown since being laid off despite making almost 2x what I made then. Might go back this year if Basic Med works out.

S&M wife could be fun too! A bit intimidating for me (maybe that’s why she’s unfulfilled).

@Captain get the Lance. What do I know. I’ve been conservative and miserable the last 15 years. Go for it.

I know of a decent Cessna 210 that's for sale.

But my thought: Figure what you can afford and then step down a couple of notches.
Steph, I'm in the market for a 210 if you still know of one? Message me details please!

Back