Keep you speed up,,,

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Coming into Juneau today. Reported 9 miles out, a RV reported about the same time 15 out. Controller told me to keep my speed up.

Heck we were the only 2 coming into land. I was doing a 300fpm decent and doing 135mph. Why not ask the RV driver to slow down a bit to keep the spacing? Controller had the RV fly a little south to increase spacing, East/West runway.

No biggie, just saying.. New controller to Juneau, hope he has fun at his new job and enjoys SE AK....:)

I can understand if the other airplane was a Cirrus; would not ever want to inconvenience the owner of one of those by slowing him down. :D

But an RV? o_O Next time tell the controller the RV can do a 360 to increase spacing, and since those things are aerobatic make him do it in the vertical plane. ;)

Coming into Juneau today. Reported 9 miles out, a RV reported about the same time 15 out. Controller told me to keep my speed up.

Heck we were the only 2 coming into land. I was doing a 300fpm decent and doing 135mph. Why not ask the RV driver to slow down a bit to keep the spacing? Controller had the RV fly a little south to increase spacing, East/West runway.

It isn't always better to have the "other guy" make the accommodation. ;-)

If you didn't want to keep your speed up, why didn't you volunteer to do a 360?

6 mile sep and both VFR. It’s a non issue.

A controller asking you to keep your speed up is worth complaining about online? Or are we getting trolled?

A controller asking you to keep your speed up is worth complaining about online? Or are we getting trolled?
Well that's not as bad as complaining about someone complaining about ATC. It IS an aviation board.

A controller asking you to keep your speed up is worth complaining about online?

It is if you are flying a Beech Sport (or Cessna 150). The controllers should know better. :p

See post #9. The Sport is not a fast plane.... 135mph is about as fast as you're going get out of me...:D

24D14CED-005F-4CA3-907A-64709370EBA8.jpeg In your best Scottish accent would have been appropriate to say “got ‘er firewalled Captain any more and she’ll come apart at the seams.”

I was flying a 182RG on an approach, I had heard ATC talking to a Cirrus in front of me. Surely that would never be a problem, but as it turns out I got asked to slow down and eventually got vectored through the localizer for a delay. I should have asked sooner and gotten slower on my own.

When I was wet behind the ears, oh don’t worry I still am, they wedge me between a 737 and airbus. Maintain maximum forward speed and clear runway on the high speed was the command to me along with slowing the airbus down to minimums. I had barely cleared the active when he came wizzing by. Puckered to say the least.

I was flying a 182RG on an approach, I had heard ATC talking to a Cirrus in front of me. Surely that would never be a problem, but as it turns out I got asked to slow down and eventually got vectored through the localizer for a delay. I should have asked sooner and gotten slower on my own.
Cirrus typically is 80 to 100 knots up to short final depending on the approach and pilot. Hotdogs can probably go faster on longer runways, but not me.

It is if you are flying a Beech Sport (or Cessna 150). The controllers should know better. :p
I hit 120mph IAS on final to Danbury yesterday in my 150. Granted it was during my emergency landing and I was coming in hot and fast with the fire trucks rolling and yelling “Everybody get the F out of my way!”. Had to pull flaps above white arc and pointed it basically straight down doing 2000ft/min one mile out. Kinda like pulling the chute on a cirrus, but can still roll it out to a smooth landing.

I hit 120mph IAS on final to Danbury yesterday in my 150. Granted it was during my emergency landing and I was coming in hot and fast with the fire trucks rolling and yelling “Everybody get the F out of my way!”. Had to pull flaps above white arc and pointed it basically straight down doing 2000ft/min one mile out. Kinda like pulling the chute on a cirrus, but can still roll it out to a smooth landing.
I'm glad you and your family are safe. Good job staying cool and handling the emergency.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Keep your speed up"? I haven't heard that since I sold the 172 and bought the Bonanza. Now what I hear is Bonanza 123Q, SLOW DOWN!

One nice thing about piston airplanes above a certain performance level is you get a wide speed envelope should you choose to use it. I have never been asked to keep the speed up as far as I can recall because I can easily maintain 160+ KIAS on approach all the way to very short final which is faster than airliners or biz jets will do since they need to be within a much tighter speed window for approach.

I have, however been asked to slow down a few times... I think I've posted this one before but I found it quite entertaining because it was the mighty Citation X that I was asked to slow down for.

The reason she said "You didn't catch us" at the end was that they passed by on the parallel taxiway while I was waiting on the perpendicular since I used up a lot less runway than they did.

Slip it in that configuration some time. Same rate of descent, airspeed much, much lower and safer! ;)

On flight following yesterday, the controller incorrectly identified my Cessna as a Cirrus. Was busy enough that I didn't think it was worth correcting, but I did expect him to ask why I was flying so slow. 135mph is fast.

There is a magic word I love. It's "unable". Anyone asks me to keep my speed up I ask them how big is their runway.

I've been asked to keep my "speed up" as well as "maintain minimum safe speed", "slow 10kts", even do some "S turns". I've also been vectored or asked to 360 "for spacing", given an extended downwind, asked to "make short approach if able" and directed to fly "direct to numbers". There's lots of different traffic coming and going at my home airport; it's all part of everyday flying. IMHO, the ATC guys usually have a pretty good handle on what makes sense on their screen. If you don't like it you can always speak up.

I was asked to reduce my speed 30 knots approaching Winston-Salem.

Had you keep your speed up = do the best you can.
Had the RV fly a little south for spacing = so he got an instruction to accommodate you too.

sounds pretty balanced.

Going into KCLT was asked to slow down and given a hold to fit in with the heavy airline traffic.

We have a lot of RVs in my area ... we normally don't get slowed, but when we do, are usually much closer to the field. Had lots of "trainer" ATC in the summer that couldn't handle more than one target in the Class C at a time ... normally a request for 26R (shorter runway that the jets can't use) will get one of the supervisors to key up "approved" ... land parallel with the airliners often unless wake turbulence rolling onto our parallel is a concern

Back