Net Neutrality

I'm trying to think of an instance when following California's lead was a good idea. <=== said in my best South Park / China tone.
There's a good chance that you're accessing the Internet by using a substantial number of devices (from system to component level) that were designed in California. (Whether that's a good or bad thing is left as an exercise for the reader. ;))

Prop 65 man! Label everything to the point where no one reads the warning labels. They require(d) people to ****ing label coffee! And we have idiots who will defend everything CA does, because, well, they are idiots.
Some of us defend California because some people exaggerate its faults.

My observation is that every state has faults of one kind or another, and every state has good things about it.

Wanttaja said:
You're out of date. California now has the world's FIFTH largest economy.
But does it have the world's fifth happiest populace?

Coincidentally, it *is* the fifth happiest US state....

Based on the WalletHub study, the top 20 happiest states in the nation are:

• Hawaii
  • Utah
  • Minnesota
  • North Dakota
  • California

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/happiest-states/

The US seems to come in about 18th, worldwide....

Ron Wanttaja

My facebook feed was full of dire, apocalyptic predictions if "net neutrality" was overturned. Didn't happen.

Yet. Nobody was going to do anything major when it could still come back in a heartbeat. Now, there'll be some meetings and some money will be poured into certain projects...

That was just an example. I've never had, not heard of a problem with Netflix. I'm speaking in generalities about how net neutrality works.

Which it doesn’t. That’s my point.

I worked in regulated telecom. It doesn’t matter what you tell a telecom to do, they don’t have to and never will. I can give numerous examples of how they can stall long enough you go out of business while waiting, if they want to.

But they also don’t have time to slow or filter anybody, and they don’t want to as long as they’re paying their bills.

It’s a fictional problem for political purposes to scare morons. Like most political scare tactics.

Which it doesn’t. That’s my point.

I worked in regulated telecom. It doesn’t matter what you tell a telecom to do, they don’t have to and never will. I can give numerous examples of how they can stall long enough you go out of business while waiting, if they want to.

But they also don’t have time to slow or filter anybody, and they don’t want to as long as they’re paying their bills.

It’s a fictional problem for political purposes to scare morons. Like most political scare tactics.
You still don't understand what I'm saying. Which is fine. And the notion that a regulated utility or industry "don't have to and never will" respond to regulation is patently absurd.

Some of us defend California because some people exaggerate its faults.

My observation is that every state has faults of one kind or another, and every state has good things about it.

For example, in California you can buy good wine in RiteAid. That's a good thing. In my limited experience in California, it was the only good thing. But it was also a very good thing, so that counts for something.

Rich

You still don't understand what I'm saying. Which is fine. And the notion that a regulated utility or industry "don't have to and never will" respond to regulation is patently absurd.

Let us know when you’ve worked in the biz.

Here’s a hint. There’s no competition when there’s no copper or fiber to your facility. You can ***** to regulators all you like, the stuff only goes into the ground as fast as it goes.

The only thing patently absurd is morons thinking they can regulate it.

“We’re sorry, all of our engineering resources are busy on other projects. The customer who complained to you is number 30 in line, Mr. Regulator. We do not have an ETA on circuit engineering let alone turn-up.”

But if you’ve bought the political kool aid you clearly haven’t worked either the telecom side or the customer side of a telecom project of any scale. Good luck with your regulatory complaint. Any fines will simply be passed along on the bill over the length of your contract.

Good luck finding more copper or fiber to your facilities for your next growth spurt, too.

Try it sometime. Play hardball with your carrier and see how much they care.

Let us know when you’ve worked in the biz.

Here’s a hint. There’s no competition when there’s no copper or fiber to your facility. You can ***** to regulators all you like, the stuff only goes into the ground as fast as it goes.

The only thing patently absurd is morons thinking they can regulate it.

“We’re sorry, all of our engineering resources are busy on other projects. The customer who complained to you is number 30 in line, Mr. Regulator. We do not have an ETA on circuit engineering let alone turn-up.”

But if you’ve bought the political kool aid you clearly haven’t worked either the telecom side or the customer side of a telecom project of any scale. Good luck with your regulatory complaint. Any fines will simply be passed along on the bill over the length of your contract.

Good luck finding more copper or fiber to your facilities for your next growth spurt, too.

Try it sometime. Play hardball with your carrier and see how much they care.
Right. Didn't read it, and if I didn't make myself clear before, I don't care. The guys at Enron and Lehman Brothers worked "in the biz," too.

The Reagan Library. That's a great thing about California!

Right. Didn't read it, and if I didn't make myself clear before, I don't care. The guys at Enron and Lehman Brothers worked "in the biz," too.

Ah right. Not reading what actual professional in the biz wrote is a thing these days. It’ll all magically be better if you just complain enough. Haha.

As far as your examples go...

Lehman got screwed. There were much worse banks than them bailed out. Goldman wanted them dead and got their way. Enron was well known to be doing things (regulators knew too) but certain DC politicians liked what they were pocketing during the days of insider trading being allowed for Congresscritters.

Biggest difference between lame banking examples and a telecom is this: The telecom actually provides something nobody else can because morons in the 80s DEMANDED municipal governments only allow one of them.

Idiots got what they asked for. Not legal to compete.

You can always find another ripoff bank or investment firm and invest in things that don’t make any value sense on Wall Street. Those are a dime a dozen and don’t build anything of value. Fiber to your building actually has value.

The real shame was bailing out AIG. That set a really bad precedent. Along with screwing bond holders of companies who knew the places were going to default.

Anyway...

Pretending a natural monopoly telecom is the same as an Enron or an investment bank that had the same bad investment products as the one across the street, is completely laughable. Thanks for the chuckle.

Let me know when CenturyLink cares about any regulator’s concerns about what they deliver. LOL. They still call 1.5 Mb/sec ADSL from a 1990s vintage DSLAM “Broadband”. Hahahahaha. You can tell them to upgrade it and they’ll happily send you a nice letter stating it’s on their engineering road map for 2038.

Nice chat though. Good laugh. Comparing a telecom with actual capital assets and idiot-mandated monopolies to an investment bank and a sleazebag “energy broker” and thinking a regulatory bureaucracy can fix their lack of buildout and bubbas in company pickup trucks to do it.

I truly did LOL... we’ve been through eight “account managers” at CenturyLink in six years. They hire in all excited to sell us their nonexistent services... then realize their commission checks are a bit lighter than the boss said they might be. Hahahahaha.

They sold us gigabit commercial fiber for less than $1000 a month. It’s a “tad” oversubscribed. They were desperate to sell something. It does a nice job of taking the desktop web browser load off of our real data circuits with SLAs... which are fiber from a cable company.

Good luck on your next call center or data center build. You’ll get more mileage out of a 12-pack for the installer than any regulatory BS. I guarantee it. BTDT. Been doing it since USWest still existed and Verizon didn’t.

A good way to go out of business quick is waiting on a telecom to deliver a “regulated” service. You’ll be much better served by a good realtor and a fiber map. I promise. That’ll mean it’s only three months to install and not two years.

Back