Be on the lookout!

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
For wildlife on the runway. Was out flying about an hour before sunset and was planning for a touch and go at a local airfield and upon landing, about 200ft in front of me were 2-3 deer on the runway (Oh ****!)

This is a big problem and seems to be worse than I ever remember in the past. I already had a deer strike last December at my home airfield, so I definitely don’t need a repeat. I will be chatting with the airport manager tomorrow afternoon to see if there’s any preventative measures that can be made, because what’s currently in place, isn’t working! I like to take walks out at the airport in the evening and have witnessed deer on many different occasions. I figure it’s a matter of time before someone else has a strike with one.

So, keep your eyes peeled, because these ****er’s will cause a tremendous amount of damage to your precious airplane. Do a low pass if you need to prior to landing. You just can’t be too careful with deer around.

Fly safe!

Juneau has a guy that runs around and shoots bangers, or what ever you call them. Sounds like a 12 ga shotgun. Lots of eagles around Juneau. He gets paid $80,000/yr to shoot bangers at Eagles and Ravines. Deer and Bear around the non controlled fields here.

For wildlife on the runway. Was out flying about an hour before sunset and was planning for a touch and go at a local airfield and upon landing, about 200ft in front of me were 2-3 deer on the runway (Oh ****!)

This is a big problem and seems to be worse than I ever remember in the past. I already had a deer strike last December at my home airfield, so I definitely don’t need a repeat. I will be chatting with the airport manager tomorrow afternoon to see if there’s any preventative measures that can be made, because what’s currently in place, isn’t working! I like to take walks out at the airport in the evening and have witnessed deer on many different occasions. I figure it’s a matter of time before someone else has a strike with one.

So, keep your eyes peeled, because these ****er’s will cause a tremendous amount of damage to your precious airplane. Do a low pass if you need to prior to landing. You just can’t be too careful with deer around.

Fly safe!

Only thing that works is to fully enclose the airport with a fence at least 8 feet, preferably 10 feet high. Also requires gates that are kept closed 24/7. Anything less than total exclusion doesn't work well with deer.

Only thing that works is to fully enclose the airport with a fence at least 8 feet, preferably 10 feet high. Also requires gates that are kept closed 24/7. Anything less than total exclusion doesn't work well with deer.
Might be what needs to happen. The airfield is owned by the city, so they might need to buck up and make some upgrades. I just know it’s a matter of time before someone else has an encounter with one and I don’t want to see it happen!

I fly LSA, so I gotta look out for critters like these...

redant.png

We have a 6’ Fence around the entire field and the deer don’t care. This time of year is particularly bad. On runway every evening. We we know ppl are coming in at night will go out and “run deer” with our car. Use a spotter. Chase them about 10 min before landing the radio them if clear. Crazy. But plowing into one could kill ya.

We see deer now and again but have a flock of Turkeys that hang at our place, and they aren’t scared of us anymore... hoping someone gets em for thanksgiving, and no not with their plane.

I worry most about one taking off that’s in the grass by the runway and clipping one at or around rotation...

Might be what needs to happen. The airfield is owned by the city, so they might need to buck up and make some upgrades. I just know it’s a matter of time before someone else has an encounter with one and I don’t want to see it happen!

Yeah, they just might need to buck up. And spend some doe

50 AGL and a Coyote passed under me last Wednesday on the numbers.... he looked back like, “what Beech?!, You ain’t gonna do nuthin, holmes..... that’s what I though.” Seriously. He had the look. I wasn’t sure if he would pull a strap on me or go ol skool and shank me.

50 AGL and a Coyote passed under me last Wednesday on the numbers.... he looked back like, “what Beech?!, You ain’t gonna do nuthin, holmes..... that’s what I though.” Seriously. He had the look. I wasn’t sure if he would pull a strap on me or go ol skool and shank me.

We still see you. No, really, we can still see you!

There is a video series called Bush Pilots, which is about charter pilots in Botswana. It's a pretty interesting series. These guys do low passes over airstrips to drive rhinos and giraffes off the field.

I had this happen to me this past Friday afternoon. One of the rare flights with my wife-who-does-not-like-flying, going to see our niece for the weekend. Three deer on the runway near the threshold, un-fenced municipal airport.

Last edited:
There is a video series called Bush Pilots, which is about charter pilots in Botswana. It's a pretty interesting series. These guys do low passes over airstrips to drive rhinos and giraffes off the field.

Doesn't always work out well, unfortunately.

IMG_0544.JPG

Hunting is limited around here, deer abundant and skinny. Do gooders feel good about themselves though.

Venison doesn't taste much better than squirrel or 'possum, so no real reason to show off by forcing it down your pie hole. No reason to waste ammo on 'em, either, since they hurl themselves at cars on a daily basis. If you're hungry, just go for a ride and keep an eye out for the big red smear on the road. Near the end of it will be a nice tenderized buffet. Skinny deer don't do as much damage to cars when you hit them. Bonus. It's the moose population around here that concerns me, although I almost never, ever drive at dawn or dusk.

We hit one in the car Saturday night. Came over the hill and there he was. Thankfully the damage was mostly cosmetic.

The times I’ve almost been in a reportable event have ALL been from critters on runways, yet most official types make it a royal pain to nuisance hunt on airports.

If there was ONE good thing the “news” media could with their love of fear mongering, it would be to get the public scared about animal strikes and mad at governments for keeping those sweet old flannel wearing grandpa hunters from clearing out the threats, and for free no less, all they ask for is allowing them to feed their non 1%er families with the meat they take, all while saving the flying public’s lives.

Here’s me holding my breath in that making national news :frown2:

C104-E937-6462-4-EB5-A303-C7963-D75-E5-AD.jpg

attachment.php

plane-hits-deer_1487181661107_8520490_ver1.0.jpg

Could post these all day.

Venison doesn't taste much better than squirrel or 'possum, so no real reason to show off by forcing it down your pie hole. No reason to waste ammo on 'em, either, since they hurl themselves at cars on a daily basis. If you're hungry, just go for a ride and keep an eye out for the big red smear on the road. Near the end of it will be a nice tenderized buffet. Skinny deer don't do as much damage to cars when you hit them. Bonus. It's the moose population around here that concerns me, although I almost never, ever drive at dawn or dusk.

Where are you hunting deer that taste like possum? These deer that live and eat at the land fill or something?

Where are you hunting deer that taste like possum? These deer that live and eat at the land fill or something?

I’m not hunting deer. They taste terrible. Full of ticks. Hides aren’t even any good any more. They’re all yours, man. Have at em.

I’m not hunting deer. They taste terrible. Full of ticks. Hides aren’t even any good any more. They’re all yours, man. Have at em.

You’re south of the blue line?

Only thing that scares me is CWD

Currently? Yes. But in a couple hours I’ll be home, which is not far from the center of the park. ;)

Aiiight, if you’re north of the blue line I’ll stand down ;)

But most of the ticks I’ve seen have been on the moose, kinda sad actually

Aiiight, if you’re north of the blue line I’ll stand down ;)

But most of the ticks I’ve seen have been on the moose, kinda sad actually

Our dogs have been vaccinated and are on edible tick preventives. Ticks almost never even bite them, but if they do they’ll die. In the last 24 hrs my wife and I have found over 15 ticks on the dogs! Only two were dead (had bitten the big Malamute and died before becoming engorged) and the other 13 were made up of 3 adults and 10 nymphs. I’ve been bitten by more ticks than I can remember, but none this Fall, yet. Our Husky is much smaller than our Malamute so she doesn’t brush up against as much stuff when we’re out hiking, running, biking, etc. and tends not to pick up as many ticks. She’s also smart, and let’s the big dog go first and sweep up all the ticks. :D We have a lot of deer around here.

Our dogs have been vaccinated and are on edible tick preventives. Ticks almost never even bite them, but if they do they’ll die. In the last 24 hrs my wife and I have found over 15 ticks on the dogs! Only two were dead (had bitten the big Malamute and died before becoming engorged) and the other 13 were made up of 3 adults and 10 nymphs. I’ve been bitten by more ticks than I can remember, but none this Fall, yet. Our Husky is much smaller than our Malamute so she doesn’t brush up against as much stuff when we’re out hiking, running, biking, etc. and tends not to pick up as many ticks. She’s also smart, and let’s the big dog go first and sweep up all the ticks. :D We have a lot of deer around here.

You talking the brown square thing? Worked wonders on my pup too

Back