Savvy prebuy

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
I’m looking at purchasing a plane 1/2 way across the country. I’m considering using Savvy prebuy service and was wondering if anyone else has used them and what you’re experience has been. Purchasing a piper arrow. I know some people don’t do prebuy inspections - and I have heard horror stories about planes sold with “fresh annual” from the seller’s mechanic. So I think due diligence is required. I know it doesn’t guarantee anything but trying to reduce risks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d find a good APIA, and book a airline ticket for you to be there and help, only a filthy rich man could possibly afford to not take part in the most important inspection their further plane will ever undergo.

Plus flying your new airplane back will be one of the most fun flights you’ll probably ever have.

I’d find a good APIA, and book a airline ticket for you to be there and help, only a filthy rich man could possibly afford to not take part in the most important inspection their further plane will ever undergo.

Plus flying your new airplane back will be one of the most fun flights you’ll probably ever have.

I certainly plan on flying it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Savvy assistance for my AA5B prebuy about 6yrs ago. Airplane own/purchase virgin at that time. They recommended a shop known to them with extensive Grumman experience, and followed along with me through the process. No significant squawks were found so no negotiations were needed.

I believe they’ll apply the Prebuy Assist cost to the first year of Maintenance Assist, which as a first time owner I went with as well.

Considering the cost of an aircraft I think it’s money well spent. Might as an alternative see if a type organization exists that might help.

First, why go so far for an Arrow? That's a fairly common airframe and a "local" purchase usually has lower transactional costs and you can see the airplane before you get too invested.

Second. Yes, get a prebuy. You'll be spending real money on something mechanical which is probably at least 30 years old. Besides, your derriere' will be sitting in it, so you want to be safe, both personally and financially.

Third. Savvy? Me, I'm too cheap. I'd find a local (to the seller) shop and go direct, but that's me.

Also who’s Savvy and what’s his experience with the arrow?

Hire the man, not the banner above a door, unless fh shop gives you a warranty/insurance that they will cover anything they miss in the prebuy, other than that I’d find the man not the marquee

I’m considering using Savvy prebuy service and was wondering if anyone else has used them and what you’re experience has been.

I was very pleased with my experience with their pre-buy assistance. Savvy looked over the logs for anything obvious, then helped choose a shop with expertise in that make. They provided a checklist for the shop to follow, and discussed with the shop what they found. Their checklist did the pre-buy in two steps, fore and aft of the firewall. The prebuy shop generated a ling list of discrepancies, and Savvy helped me sort them out, which to insist the seller fix, which to ignore altogether, and which I should reasonably pay for myself.

If I had sought to find a shop on my own for the prebuy, I would not have chosen one as good as the one they chose, and I wouldn’t have known what checklist to use. I also wouldn’t have known which discrepancies to ignore.

In the end I got a better inspection that saved me money.

Sounds like you got good value for your money. Good luck on the purchase.

gary

Back