Unexpected Landing

Volitation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Volitation
Pretty weekday morning a month or so ago, about an hour into a 3 hour-ish trip from KAFW (Ft. Worth Alliance) to T05 (Port Mansfield, TX). VFR, Flight Following, 5,500 feet, had been handed off to Waco Approach a few minutes before. Everything is good, looking forward to catching some fish.....

Uh, is that fuel I smell? Maybe the primer is loose? No, tight, can’t see anything wrong there or feel anything under or around it. Can’t see anything anywhere else inside or out. Must have imagined it.

No, dang it, I smell gas. Hmm. Fuel pressure gauge? Zero. Huh!

Aux Fuel pump On - still Zero. Ruh-roh! What’s nearby? McGregor! KPWG is right over there, turn left!

“Waco Approach, Skylane 12345, Cancel following, diverting to McGregor, have a fuel pressure problem.”
“Skylane 45, Contact McGregor traffic on 122.8”

So. I have a situation, but managing all right. Then, as I’m about to change frequencies, the motor starts cutting out. Now I got a problem.

“Waco Approach, Skylane 45, losing power, declaring an emergency.” Transponder to 7700.
“Skylane 45, Waco Approach, McGregor is 2 miles at your 11:00 o’clock, we see no traffic.”
“Waco, I have the field in sight.” (And boy, does it look good, that big runway lines right up into the south wind!”)
“Skylane 45, say how many souls on board.” (If you’ve never heard that, it’s sobering when they say it to you.)
“Waco, just me.”
“Skylane 45, one on board. Can we do anything else for you.”
“Negative Waco, I think I’m good.”
“Skylane 45, McGregor traffic is 122.8, good luck!”
“122.8, and thanks.”

All this time, been running memory items, no luck. But some good news, when I pull it back to idle, it doesn’t die, actually runs smoothly. But anything more than 10” or 10 1/2” MP and it starts cutting out. 10” it is, and I’m descending, but at just a little better than a glide.

All right then, I’m gonna make the field, but can’t tell yet how I’m going to do it.

“McGregor traffic, Skylane 12345, Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, lost power, will be making an emergency landing.
“Skylane 45, McGregor Unicom, no traffic in the pattern. Does you want us to call the fire department?”
“Negative McGregor, I think this is going to work out.”

And it did. Crossed midfield, entered left down wind, still had maybe 1000’ extra altitude and a little power to spend. Close enough I didn’t have to circle, just extend downwind (but don’t come up short!), turn final, turn base, runway made but high, slip hard, flaps, power out, land, was able to idle to park.

The culprit? A completely broken fitting in the line between the main fuel pump and the carb. And evidently, when the aux pump was turned on, it just blew fuel out the other side of the carb. (Photo below.)

Lessons:
I think I made mistakes by not killing the engine and shutting off fuel in the air once I had the runway made. I knew I had some kind of fuel problem/leak, and certainly should NOT have taxied it.
Don’t ignore it when you think there might be a problem, figure it out.
Check ALL the gauges, regularly.
Keep an eye on the charts, and what your airport choices might be.
Altitude is good!
Stay calm, as long as you keep it under control, you can land it. I was very lucky to be very near an airport, but we can stop these things pretty short if we have to, even if it’s in a pasture.
Thank your instructor for all those time he pulled the power and said, “Now what are you gonna do?”
And every now and then, mix in a power off or two on your own.
Don’t hesitate to ask for help. Just talking to the controller and Unicom was calming.
And, when you land after smelling fuel, turn the damn fuel cut off OFF! (See 2nd photo below. Smh.)

Sorry about the long post, but I hope someone can gain something from it.

And finally, I want to thank the folks again at JAG Aviation at KPWG. They were as nice as they could be, had me fixed up and back on my way in a couple of hours. (Gotta get back on your horse, right? Or something like that.) Although I will admit when they offered me their pilots lounge to relax during the repair, I said, “Thanks, I appreciate it, but I think I’m just gonna walk around a while.” :)

upload_2019-10-13_0-27-45.jpeg

upload_2019-10-13_0-28-11.jpeg

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for posting. We learn from these sorts of situations.
Well done!

Good job. Reading from the comfort of my couch, I cringed a bit when you turned the fuel pump on when you were smelling fuel. Im thinking there’s probably no situation where you can smell fuel that you’d want to turn that pump on. Again, sitting on my couch with no stress. Anybody disagree with my thought?

........No, dang it, I smell gas................

“Skylane 45, McGregor Unicom, no traffic in the pattern. Does you want us to call the fire department?”

Sent from my iPad

Great job safely landing and great post, well written. Thanks for sharing it.

Great write-up! My first instinct when you told ATC the details of your problem was to think "now he'll have some 'splainin' to do", but when the engine started cutting out, I realized that this was a true emergency. Excellent job getting back on the ground, and glad the fix turned out to be quick and easy. Yes, you probably should have killed the engine, but that's a lesson learned for you as you realized.

All in all, Bravo Zulu!

Congrats on the successful outcome! And thanks for sharing.

I would not have thought about shutting off in the air or on the ground. Still wouldn’t. But that’s a huge fire risk (obviously).

What caused the broken fitting?

Good job. Reading from the comfort of my couch, I cringed a bit when you turned the fuel pump on when you were smelling fuel. Im thinking there’s probably no situation where you can smell fuel that you’d want to turn that pump on. Again, sitting on my couch with no stress. Anybody disagree with my thought?

I agree, but when stuff like this happens human psychology - specifically denial - is incredibly powerful. Beware the “It’s probably just..” state of mind.

In this case, once the inevitable denial and deer-in-the-headlight phase had passed, turning off the fuel should have been high on the list of priorities, terrain and airport availability considered, of course.

But overall, job well done on this one. Congratulations!

Great job and nice post about it. I hope you don't mind the CFI in me using some things you said as a teachable moment for the peanut gallery. When I was a DPE the most common error I saw was mismanagement of altitude on an emergency landing. I note that you said the following:

"...entered left down wind, still had maybe 1000’ extra altitude..."
And also:

"...just extend downwind (but don’t come up short!), turn final, turn base, runway made but high, slip hard, flaps, power out, land..."
And your "lesson":

"...Altitude is good!"
This is the "teachable moment", not so much for you, but for CFIs that only go this far:

"Thank your instructor for all those time he pulled the power and said, 'Now what are you gonna do?'"
Based on flight tests I've given, CFIs are not very good at TRAINING students to manage altitude so as to arrive at the "key position" (a box of air centered around the typical turnpoint from downwind to base). If that location is seen as the gateway to a successful emergency landing and you maneuver your airplane to reach it at pattern altitude (1000' AGL), all that's left is to aim for a spot 1/3 down the runway. But if you're more than a couple hundred feet high at that point and extend downwind, it makes judging your glide much more difficult. If you turn base while too high you may well overshoot. Just my 2 cents. You did a good job. Remember, even Sully didn't shut off the outflow valves and plane sank because of it. Emergencies do that to people.

Last edited:

Salty, I appreciate the thoughtful comment, I cringed when I got out, too. And I don’t disagree.

Another Lesson: I was blindly following the ‘low fuel pressure = aux fuel pump’ procedure without taking a few seconds to think. There are a few things that must be executed immediately and without hesitation. Turning on the aux fuel pump ain’t one of them.

Last edited:
Congrats on the successful outcome! And thanks for sharing.

I would not have thought about shutting off in the air or on the ground. Still wouldn’t. But that’s a huge fire risk (obviously).

What caused the broken fitting?

The blue fitting was male to male (the other end is still inside the other fitting) and was aluminum. The best guesses I got was that over the years, possibly during a rebuild shortly before I bought the aircraft, it was over-tightened and damaged or cracked. Then, over an unknown period of time and vibration, it broke clean through.
I do know it hadn’t been touched for at least 100 hours or more.

I would have thought there would have been visible drips on the ground if cracked, but nothing. As far as I can tell, when it went, it broke all the way.

If there are no drips, what are the probabilities an inspection uncovers that kind of problem?

I agree, but when stuff like this happens human psychology - specifically denial - is incredibly powerful. Beware the “It’s probably just..” state of mind.

In this case, once the inevitable denial and deer-in-the-headlight phase had passed, turning off the fuel should have been high on the list of priorities, terrain and airport availability considered, of course.

But overall, job well done on this one. Congratulations!

Thanks, don’t disagree with anything you said.

Great job and nice post about it. I hope you don't mind the CFI in me using some things you said as a teachable moment for the peanut gallery. When I was a DPE the most common error I saw was mismanagement of altitude on an emergency landing. I note that you said the following:

"...entered left down wind, still had maybe 1000’ extra altitude..."
And also:

"...just extend downwind (but don’t come up short!), turn final, turn base, runway made but high, slip hard, flaps, power out, land..."
And your "lesson":

"...Altitude is good!"
This is the "teachable moment", not so much for you, but for CFIs that only go this far:

"Thank your instructor for all those time he pulled the power and said, 'Now what are you gonna do?'"
Based on flight tests I've given, CFIs are not very good at TRAINING students to manage altitude so as to arrive at the "key position" (a box of air centered around the typical turnpoint from downwind to base). If that location is seen as the gateway to a successful emergency landing and you maneuver your airplane to reach it at pattern altitude (1000' AGL), all that's left is to aim for a spot 1/3 down the runway. But if you're more than a couple hundred feet high at that point and extend downwind, it makes judging your glide much more difficult. If you turn base while too high you may well overshoot. Just my 2 cents. You did a good job. Remember, even Sully didn't shut off the outflow valves and plane sank because of it. Emergencies do that to people.

I appreciate your comments.
And I’d add that I haven’t done my part either after initial instruction to train myself on emergencies. I can’t tell you the last time I went out and practiced stalls, emergencies, power off 180’s to a spot, etc.

Can’t blame that on an instructor.

Last edited:

That really makes me cringe. Engine not making full power, smell of gas and not on the ground, only answer to that question is YES, PLEASE.!!!

You had no idea what was wrong but the smell of fuel means a leak somewhere. If the leaking fuel had caught fire, you would have been a roman candle in the air. I understand that at the time you had no idea what was wrong, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I don't care about the plane, but I care about the folks inside. Really glad to hear everything worked out ok. How was the fishing.??

That really makes me cringe. Engine not making full power, smell of gas and not on the ground, only answer to that question is YES, PLEASE.!!!

You had no idea what was wrong but the smell of fuel means a leak somewhere. If the leaking fuel had caught fire, you would have been a roman candle in the air. I understand that at the time you had no idea what was wrong, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I don't care about the plane, but I care about the folks inside. Really glad to hear everything worked out ok. How was the fishing.??

Knowing what I knew at the time, I should have accepted the offer. Knowing what I know now, I should have insisted!

As a practical matter though, I don’t think it would have made much difference. My understanding is there are no trucks on the field, only the municipal FD. And come to find out, the Waco controller HAD in fact called them.

After I’d been on the ground about an hour, the airport manager pulled up, introduced himself, and said instead of coming out, the FD had called him on his cell while he was at the dentist to see what was up. Of course he didn’t know, so by the time he called the field, and got caught up, I was well landed. And even if I’d taken Unicom up on their offer to call, whatever was going to happen would have happened by the time they would have arrived.

But, all of that said, you’re right, I had no way of knowing that and should have gotten them moving.

I did ask that airport manager if he thought going to the dentist made his day better or worse than mine. He laughed and said his day was better by far. I didn’t say it at the time, but later I thought he was wrong, I had a great day!

And the fishing down there is awesome in the Fall!

As a practical matter though, I don’t think it would have made much difference. My understanding is there are no trucks on the field, only the municipal FD. And come to find out, the Waco controller HAD in fact called them.

After I’d been on the ground about an hour, the airport manager pulled up, introduced himself, and said instead of coming out, the FD had called him on his cell while he was at the dentist to see what was up. Of course he didn’t know, so by the time he called the field, and got caught up, I was well landed. And even if I’d taken Unicom up on their offer to call, whatever was going to happen would have happened by the time they would have arrived.

That is comforting....:rolleyes:

I always like the trucks to roll if I have any problem, big or small. Then I always get out of the plane and introduce myself and thank the guys for coming out. And apologize for disturbing them.

And the fishing down there is awesome in the Fall!

You know the rules here, pictures or it didn't happen.!! :lol::lol:

That is supposed to be a 45° steel elbow fitting, not a straight aluminum. Engine vibration fatigues an aluminum fitting as the weight of the hose puts stresses on it. And a straight fitting forces the hose to bend more, pulling sideways on the fitting.

Cessna parts manual calls for an 8-4VTX-S fitting. It looks like this:

s-l300.jpg

Get your mechanic to look it up to confirm it and get one. You don't want a second experience like this.

I wish mechanics wouldn't so casually make substitutions. The manufacturers have good reasons for specifying the parts they do.

That is supposed to be a 45° steel elbow fitting, not a straight aluminum. Engine vibration fatigues an aluminum fitting as the weight of the hose puts stresses on it. And a straight fitting forces the hose to bend more, pulling sideways on the fitting.

Cessna parts manual calls for an 8-4VTX-S fitting. It looks like this:

s-l300.jpg

Get your mechanic to look it up to confirm it and get one. You don't want a second experience like this.

I wish mechanics wouldn't so casually make substitutions. The manufacturers have good reasons for specifying the parts they do.

I know the replacement was steel, but don’t know if it was an elbow. But I’ll check, thanks!

A bit of shameless advertising, but Jeff experienced a very similar part failure and had a much different experience. Great job getting down before the situation deteriorated. If anybody wants a link to the actual event, I'll be happy to dig around to find it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back