A 12G20 at 90 degrees crosswind landing in light sport

Remember that some weather systems only update once per hour. I can think of a number of places where I do not trust anything but the windsock to give me a good indication of what the current actual winds are. I would agree with some of the other posters that this video doesn’t really look like extreme crosswind conditions by any means.

Referring back to a previous post I mentioned, the instructor Witmo mentioned had gotten a weather briefing from FSS about an hour and a half previous with a forecast for winds well within conditions the student had handled adequately on previous flights. It was supposed to be a supervised I think 3rd solo with instructor also scheduled to fly in an LSA with another student. The instructor would’ve told the student to stand down himself if he’d seen the windsock, but arrived later than intended due to a traffic snarl and the student ignored that veteran instructor’s direct word to stand down.

I can think of a number of places where I do not trust anything but the windsock to give me a good indication of what the current actual winds are.

X04 is like that. The automated sensor is mounted on a very short arm to the side of a telephone-pole size post. It's also pretty low, below the level of nearby buildings and trees. Consequently, the wind it measures is probably only valid within about 10 feet of the post and up to an altitude of maybe 30 feet. Winds are frequently higher (but never lower) than what it reports.

The sensor is also near the south end of the runway, so winds at the north end can be significantly different. Several times I have seen the two windsocks, one at each end of the runway, pointing directly at each other.

LOL, I don't think you've met many Cub pilots. ;) If you're talking rental pilots who fly 20 hrs a year in the flight school's LSA, yeah maybe most of them don't fly in these ghastly conditions you captured. :D
You’re just a bundle of positive energy, eh?

Sadly, I know a lot of cub pilots, at least 4 of my neighbors. They don’t even fly in nice weather.

Nothing like posting a fun video of flying only to be roasted on POA-- thanks for sharing.

Nothing like posting a fun video of flying only to be roasted on POA-- thanks for sharing.
I have thick skin. I am surprised at how much vitriol such an innocuous post garnered. I guess some people had high expectations of a near death defying cross wind landing. :shrug:

I have thick skin. I am surprised at how much vitriol such an innocuous post garnered. I guess some people had high expectations of a near death defying cross wind landing. :shrug:

All I'll say is that one day when you have more experience you may look back on your posts here and cringe. ;) ...And not just in this thread.

All I'll say is that one day when you have more experience you may look back on your posts here and cringe. ;) ...And not just in this thread.
I look back and cringe every day. If you don't, then you aren't learning anything.

I look back and cringe every day. If you don't, then you aren't learning anything.

I thought that by waiting to have kids until I was a little older; I would be wiser.

Nope, still making mistakes with the best of 'em.

I should look back at some of my riding videos and cringe; but I don't. I was less experienced back then; and that's OK. A guy doesn't have to be a pro at everything his whole life. It was still a ton of fun. No regerts.

I live a few miles north from 28J, and was planning on parking the plane there when I bought it, and I have been looking for a place closer to train at, But not everyone has LSA's to train in.
It would be a heck of a drive to get there, but I may not have much choice if I want a license.
I guess first things first, I need to schedule a ride in one, but it has been SOOOO windy the last few days.

BTW, @PtownDreamer , I saw this evening that First Landings just updated their website: https://www.firstlandings.com/ .

If you’re within anything like reasonable driving distance, you should check these guys out. This one school has trained about 20% of all sport pilots and they have multiple LSAs and instructors available, plus their own mechanic on staff to keep the planes flying.

Back