Flew under a 172 at 17,000’ near PHX.

Kent Wien

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kent
Well done! I can’t even imagine how long it took to get up to 17,000’ but all I could say when ATC pointed them out was “Holy!”

Yesterday just north of Phoenix—we were at 15,000’. Visually verified, it was a 172!

Any chance you’re on POA? I’d love to hear about the flight.

Kent

Wow, that's outstanding, or stupid, or crazy!
I think I got our F model to about a mile below that after about half an hour, and gave up trying for more (plus didn't have oxygen anyway.)

We’re they chasing a tailwind?

Was it cruising at 17,000, or passing through? Heck, if I was on an IFR flight in a 172 cruising at 17K, I'd probably try to push it to 19 or whatever the next cardinal altitude is in Class A, just so I could brag about it on the POA.

It seemed level at 17,000.’

North of PHX 1140 local time 1740z on October 9th if anyone can find it on FlightAware or something else. We were AA384. Wish I would have remembered the N-number. Had to at least be a HawkXP.

Yep!

Wasn't he actually texting from that flight?

I took my C150f up to 12,600 in the winter and only stopped because it seemed high enough. Can’t say I had a lot of climb rate, but it was still going up. I’ll try again this winter to see how high it will go.

Yeah, but was he inverted?

cool thing. That’s getting up there.

Amazing glide range up there. I’ve taken a 162 to 13,500, briefly. It was only climbing 100 fpm at that altitude.

One of our guys flew our 172M from, I think, Iowa to Washington DC, and was in the mid-upper teens. Normally aspirated, 160 hp mod + Powerflo, so about effectively about 180 - 185 HP. Not sure how long it took to get up there, but they had nothing but time. Fuel burn was pretty darn low. . .

He has oxygen, and when he filed the IR flight plan, they did not question the altitude. On departure, the hand off to en-route was immediately cleared to cruise altitude, no steps up. None of his hand offs from sector to sector questioned a Skyhawk at 17,000, which surprised him.

Very strong tail wind, and his ground speed made the climb worth it. The plane was light, as he was solo, it was winter, so cold air for better engine performance. Indicated airspeed was low, of course, and fuel burn was in proportion to indicated air speed, with the mixture lean of peak. One mag is electronic, and has variable timing, so increased efficiency there too, both better fuel economy, and more horsepower. Obviously, the throttle was wide open. The prop had to be re pitched to keep the RPM under red line at sea level, level flight, full throttle.

Wonder if he had a vapor trail?

Sundancer, I am the member emeritus that occasionally attends meetings. Send me an email from the club list.

I took a 150 up to 14.5 was cold up there, I could see ktys in the distance and realized at my groundspeed it was 1.5ish hour flight.

I think it was in the sport aviation magazine, but there was an article about a bush pilot that would routinely fly his cub upwards of 19,000 ft.
He used a combination of soaring techniques and watching how birds handle high altitude flight.
One of the big mistakes most of us make is trying to maintain altitude or keep a climb rate going. I learned to bounce between thermals but lose altitude in between. Be more concerned with air speed than altitude. When you hit the next thermal, you will not have to waste it building airspeed this way.
it's pretty cool, but I don't think it would be too comfortable to be at that altitude in a cub.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There was a guy on Van's Air Force who took his RV-8 (I think) up to FL280!

Service ceiling on mine is 24K, but I never want to bother with an oxygen system, so it will remain just a Van's performance spec. 10,500 is good!

So crazy to think of climbers at FL290 on Everest without supplemental oxygen!! :eek: RIP to the many who have tried and failed.

@DavidWhite took us up to FL190.
Yep
599561_3319016294725_626562632_n.jpg

If I can't maintain 800fpm I stop climbing.

I had a 150-hp Warrior up to 17,500 once. It was over northern Colorado and I mostly used soaring techniques of staying on the windward side of the ridges to get there. It didn't take as long as you'd think, I saw 1000-fpm updrafts at times.

Back