A 12G20 at 90 degrees crosswind landing in light sport

OK, but this shows why you always ignore internet x-wind tales. :) By the time you actually got down to the runway, the x-wind was miniscule, as evidenced by your nearly zero bank angle correction into the wind and your extremely small crab angle at touch down.
Crab angle at touch down? You're doing it wrong.

I understood it from the get-go.
Good for you. To be honest, I thought he was saying I shouldn't have been flying a light sport in those winds. Still not entirely sure that's not what he's saying. But then you've got the guys saying there was no wind, so whatever.

I think you missed my point...the fact that you had NEARLY no bank angle OR crab angle at touch down means you were not actually LANDING in anywhere near 12G20. You might have seen this above the trees on approach. Wind often drops substantially at runway height. You would have only had a few KTS here at touchdown.

I think you missed my point...the fact that you had NEARLY no bank angle or crab angle at touch down means you were not actually LANDING in anywhere near 12G20. You might have seen this above the trees on approach.
For crying out loud.

NO, I did not have a team of scientists calibrating the wind measurements of the air near the ground beside my aircraft the moment I touched down.

I simply posted a video of a couple of approach and landings when the METAR said 12G20 when I took off.

Not sure why people are taking it as anything more than what it is. I was just playing with the camera and having a bit of fun.

You posted this as if this was significant or impressive for a light sport, otherwise you would not have been so specific with the thread title. ;)

Good for you. To be honest, I thought he was saying I shouldn't have been flying a light sport in those winds. Still not entirely sure that's not what he's saying. But then you've got the guys saying there was no wind, so whatever.
That is essentially what he was saying. I’d wager that decided to fly these conditions strictly for the show and tell factor, as in ‘look what I can do’.

"A 12G20 at 90 degrees crosswind approach to a 4KT 90 degree crosswind landing in light sport" :D

You posted this as if this was significant for a light sport, otherwise you would not have been so specific with the thread title. ;)
It was significant for a light sport. It is not easy to fly the pattern in the conditions there were that day. Were the conditions 12G20 the second I touched down? Probably not. But irrelevant to the situation. I was posting a bumpy ride from some challenging patterns I flew to test out the camera. Nothing more.

I'm sorry your expectations were not met. I guess I'll refund your money.

That is essentially what he was saying. I’d wager that decided to fly these conditions strictly for the show and tell factor, as in ‘look what I can do’.
Feel free to post video your flight in rough weather in a light sport.

Feel free to post video your flight in rough weather in a light sport.
I wouldn’t feel the need. I don’t need to prove anything to anyone.

I'm sorry your expectations were not met. I guess I'll refund your money.

It was only noted in the context of these internet heroes bragging about their 50G60KT 90 degree x-wind "landings" in their RV-6 or whatever. Not lumping you in with those guys, though. Let's start a "post your max x-wind thread" LOL

I wouldn’t feel the need. I don’t need to prove anything to anyone.
Sigh. I just thought it was a neat video of the flying I did in some rough weather. I was just testing the cameras and learning how to edit the clips, but I thought it was still interesting. It wasn't showing off for crying out loud. I flew in that weather because it doesn't scare me and I wanted to test the cameras and the weather wasn't good to go anywhere.

Have I been sufficiently berated now, or should I ask for another?

I simply posted a video of a couple of approach and landings when the METAR said 12G20 when I took off.

I think the significance is that, despite the METAR saying 12G20, you took off. Take one from the luck jar and put it in the experience jar and move on.

I think the significance is that, despite the METAR saying 12G20, you took off. Take one from the luck jar and put it in the experience jar and move on.
Cool. I'm getting it from both sides.

I'm a fool for flying in that weather, and a braggart for pretending it was bad weather to fly in. Sweet!

Seriously?

Cool. I'm getting it from both sides.

I'm a fool for flying in that weather, and a braggart for pretending it was bad weather to fly in. Sweet!

You do what's comfortable for you. There was nothing unsafe that I saw. I've seen worse in "heavy" GA aircraft.

You do what's comfortable for you. There was nothing unsafe that I saw. I've seen worse in "heavy" GA aircraft.
It wasn't unsafe at all. I can see how some would not want to do it, and I don't want to do it every day, but it wasn't remotely unsafe.

Sigh. I just thought it was a neat video of the flying I did in some rough weather. I was just testing the cameras and learning how to edit the clips, but I thought it was still interesting. It wasn't showing off for crying out loud. I flew in that weather because it doesn't scare me and I wanted to test the cameras and the weather wasn't good to go anywhere.

Fair enough. I’m just commenting on the motive, or what appeared to be the motive. I’m not intending to be antagonistic.

Unless your wingtip had to be held a few inches from the ground to hold the x-wind correction on touch down, not gonna question your judgment. Good for you for launching in any sort of wind and learning how you and the airplane handle it. A large percentage of pilots will stay on the ground if the reported x-wind nears 10KT. Too bad.

I enjoyed Salty's videos, thought you did a nice job of handling a LSA in those conditions. I didn't take it as bragging or even close to it - just videos of a guy out having fun, working on his x-wind skills. I don't understand the desire for others to dump on you.

I recall a student pilot preflighting for a flight in a 172 with winds less than this thread's title but still significant. Myself and an instructor (unrelated to the student) tried to dissuade him from flying as both of us couldn't believe his instructor had not put restrictions on his solo endorsement that would preclude his flying in the current conditions. The student assured us that he had contacted his instructor and he said he was good to go. Long story short, the student balled up the airplane at a nearby field. His instructor claimed that his solo endorsement and his verbal discussion specifically did not allow his going anywhere else to practice and the reported winds were above his limit. The accident airport's runway was only 40' wide and the estimated xwind component was less than 10. The aircraft was totalled.

Practicing or flying in strong crosswinds is not inherently foolhardy. "Strong" xwind is relative to the aircraft as well as the experience and proficiency of the pilot. I've personally witnessed a Bristell LSA get totalled on takeoff with a student and instructor aboard and a light xwind. LSA's require being flown correctly and do not tolerate even a moment's inattention when winds are a factor and winds are always a factor with LSAs. I'm both experienced and proficient and there's no way I'd fly a LSA in a direct xwind gusting 20kts unless it was the only way to get the antidote to that remote village with the dying kid. Now the OP apparently was not experiencing the thread title winds on the runway but the fact that he chose to operate the aircraft with the reported winds makes me question his judgement. i hope the OP doesn't just get defensive and disregard everything that's been discussed. He learned something flying that day and that's a good thing. My only concern is that he may have learned the wrong thing.

I recall a student pilot preflighting for a flight in a 172 with winds less than this thread's title but still significant. Myself and an instructor (unrelated to the student) tried to dissuade him from flying as both of us couldn't believe his instructor had not put restrictions on his solo endorsement that would preclude his flying in the current conditions. The student assured us that he had contacted his instructor and he said he was good to go. Long story short, the student balled up the airplane at a nearby field. His instructor claimed that his solo endorsement and his verbal discussion specifically did not allow his going anywhere else to practice and the reported winds were above his limit. The accident airport's runway was only 40' wide and the estimated xwind component was less than 10. The aircraft was totalled.

Practicing or flying in strong crosswinds is not inherently foolhardy. "Strong" xwind is relative to the aircraft as well as the experience and proficiency of the pilot. I've personally witnessed a Bristell LSA get totalled on takeoff with a student and instructor aboard and a light xwind. LSA's require being flown correctly and do not tolerate even a moment's inattention when winds are a factor and winds are always a factor with LSAs. I'm both experienced and proficient and there's no way I'd fly a LSA in a direct xwind gusting 20kts unless it was the only way to get the antidote to that remote village with the dying kid. Now the OP apparently was not experiencing the thread title winds on the runway but the fact that he chose to operate the aircraft with the reported winds makes me question his judgement. i hope the OP doesn't just get defensive and disregard everything that's been discussed. He learned something flying that day and that's a good thing. My only concern is that he may have learned the wrong thing.
Perhaps.

I learned that that you need thick skin if you post a video on poa.

I learned that my decision to stay in the pattern and not go anywhere was a good one.

I learned that my prior experience was right that I was capable of safely flying the plane in those conditions, not just the what the METAR said, but the actual conditions on the ground. At no time was anyone or anything at unreasonable risk. My landings were far more safe than the average student pilot landing a 162 in calm winds.

I also learned I need a better camera. My new hero7 arrived last night.

I also learned I need a better camera. My new hero7 arrived last night.

The Hero3 was the only egregious thing I saw with the video, glad you corrected that. You're going to like the Hero7!

I recall a student pilot preflighting for a flight in a 172 with winds less than this thread's title but still significant. Myself and an instructor (unrelated to the student) tried to dissuade him from flying as both of us couldn't believe his instructor had not put restrictions on his solo endorsement that would preclude his flying in the current conditions. The student assured us that he had contacted his instructor and he said he was good to go. Long story short, the student balled up the airplane at a nearby field. His instructor claimed that his solo endorsement and his verbal discussion specifically did not allow his going anywhere else to practice and the reported winds were above his limit. The accident airport's runway was only 40' wide and the estimated xwind component was less than 10. The aircraft was totaled.
That’s not quite the story I remember, but whatever. Legends never fail to grow.

No

You suck.

Just kidding.

How ridiculous...

Now you're catching on! :) It's sorta like the three laws of thermodynamics: you can't win, you can't break even, you can't quit the game.

Well @Salty , I enjoyed the video.
Even though I haven't started my lessons yet, and was thinking of going for a Sport license and maybe buying a LSA, but since
I have never been in a LSA, but live in FL and know our weather, and have watched that video, I am now rethinking that idea.
And on top of that, the wife lost her lunch landing at Las Vegas because of the bumpy ride, and has gotten sick on a cruise ship before.
That plane looked like it was getting tossed around worse than a salad.
I have been in a 152 a couple of times many years ago, so my memory might be failing me, but I dont remember getting tossed around like that.
And the bad thing is i was thinking of going to Apopka to get a ride in one, but now, after reading all the comments about Apopka, i am thinking Apopka might not be a good place either, LOL
Maybe I will just sit on the porch and yell at the kids to get off my lawn, that sounds like fun, LOL

Well @Salty , I enjoyed the video.
Even though I haven't started my lessons yet, and was thinking of going for a Sport license and maybe buying a LSA, but since
I have never been in a LSA, but live in FL and know our weather, and have watched that video, I am now rethinking that idea.
And on top of that, the wife lost her lunch landing at Las Vegas because of the bumpy ride, and has gotten sick on a cruise ship before.
That plane looked like it was getting tossed around worse than a salad.
I have been in a 152 a couple of times many years ago, so my memory might be failing me, but I dont remember getting tossed around like that.
And the bad thing is i was thinking of going to Apopka to get a ride in one, but now, after reading all the comments about Apopka, i am thinking Apopka might not be a good place either, LOL
Maybe I will just sit on the porch and yell at the kids to get off my lawn, that sounds like fun, LOL

I did my training, both Sport and Private, at Apopka with First Landings in their Tecnam LSAs. It's quite doable, and they turn out lots and lots of pilots. Don't be discouraged. LSAs are good planes, but they're not airliners so you just need to be mindful of the winds.

PM me if you want more info.

I did my training, both Sport and Private, at Apopka with First Landings in their Tecnam LSAs. It's quite doable, and they turn out lots and lots of pilots. Don't be discouraged. LSAs are good planes, but they're not airliners so you just need to be mindful of the winds.

PM me if you want more info.
I live a few miles north from 28J, and was planning on parking the plane there when I bought it, and I have been looking for a place closer to train at, But not everyone has LSA's to train in.
It would be a heck of a drive to get there, but I may not have much choice if I want a license.
I guess first things first, I need to schedule a ride in one, but it has been SOOOO windy the last few days.

I live a few miles north from 28J, and was planning on parking the plane there when I bought it, and I have been looking for a place closer to train at, But not everyone has LSA's to train in.
It would be a heck of a drive to get there, but I may not have much choice if I want a license.
I guess first things first, I need to schedule a ride in one, but it has been SOOOO windy the last few days.
Don’t take my video as how light sports are. Most people don’t fly light sports in that kind of weather. Half fast is your man for info on this. If you’re looking to fly on nice days light sport is just fine. If you want to travel probably not the best choice.

My wife makes videos of my landings sometimes. One thing I've learned by watching them is it often doesn't look nearly exciting on a video as it did actually being there and handling the controls.

Don’t take my video as how light sports are. Most people don’t fly light sports in that kind of weather.

LOL, I don't think you've met many Cub pilots. ;) If you're talking rental pilots who fly 20 hrs a year in the flight school's LSA, yeah maybe most of them don't fly in these ghastly conditions you captured. :D

LOL, I don't think you've met many Cub pilots. ;) If you're talking rental pilots who fly 20 hrs a year in the flight school's LSA, yeah maybe most of them don't fly in these ghastly conditions you captured. :D
Yup.

Back