Electric Harley-Davidsons?

Yup, H-D survives on the existing customers and selling a "Biker Image". If people were buying solely based off of value and performance per dollar, there aren't many H-D bikes that would ever sell. People want the look/sound of an H-D, that's why many stick with them. They try and transfer that image to electric motorcycles which is 99% a group of sub-40yr olds who don't give two hoots about the H-D biker image and charge top-dollar for it, and it's an instant failure.

Not to mention, the "biker image" is now an old guy with white (or no) hair and a beard. They definitely have a generational image problem.

If they want to get a new generation interested, they need to pay young hunks to ride around in H-D gear with hot young blondes hanging on to them. Of course, they'll get a lot more attention with a noisy bike than with an e-bike... So I guess they need a new noise too, and pump it out through speakers. :rofl:

If they want to get a new generation interested, they need to pay young hunks to ride around in H-D gear with hot young blondes hanging on to them. Of course, they'll get a lot more attention with a noisy bike than with an e-bike... So I guess they need a new noise too, and pump it out through speakers. :rofl:

That or offer a bike that can compete in price and performance.

Will the electric HD come with a loudspeaker spewing forth 'look at me' exhaust noise?

A simple mp3 player could make that a lot of fun. We use a training system that includes a magazine for the M-4 rifle that has an mp3 player & speaker in it to make the gunshot noise at up to 105db (IIRC). But we (as the programmers) can load it with any mp3 we wish...

Will the electric HD come with a loudspeaker spewing forth 'look at me' exhaust noise?

Car manufacturers have been doing that for a while, although in their cases they're piping engine noise into the cabin over the radio.

I first experienced it driving the BMW i8. I liked driving the car, but realized there was something off about the engine sound. Did a little digging and I realized why.

For most people, it's a better solution. Makes things quieter and less obnoxious for the surrounding individuals who don't appreciate the sound.

Not to mention, the "biker image" is now an old guy with white (or no) hair and a beard. They definitely have a generational image problem.

If they want to get a new generation interested, they need to pay young hunks to ride around in H-D gear with hot young blondes hanging on to them.

It is going to take more than paying young icons to advertise for HD. They're going to have to produce an interesting, affordable bike too. Young people may or may not be interested in Harleys, but I suspect that the majority of them do not have enough disposable income to afford a $20-30k toy. I think the street rod and the street 750 are a good start but how many people know about them? Where are they being advertised? Has HD considered sponsoring some of the MSF learn to ride classes by furnishing demo bikes?

The HD dealer network is likely part of the problem here too. When I walk into the local HD shop the entire sales floor is covered with the high end baggers. You're lucky to find one Sportster, and last time I was there neither of the entry level bikes I mentioned above were anywhere to be seen. For someone who may be walking into a showroom on a whim to look at bikes, these dealers just significantly narrowed the market they're catering to.

I bought a brand new bike this summer, and it wasn't a Harley, although it was an air cooled v-twin powered bike. I looked at just about everything that was out there before I bought something and I feel that not only is Harley missing the mark with what they're building but most of the Japanese manufacturers are too. I'll continue to enjoy my European bikes.

A simple mp3 player could make that a lot of fun. We use a training system that includes a magazine for the M-4 rifle that has an mp3 player & speaker in it to make the gunshot noise at up to 105db (IIRC). But we (as the programmers) can load it with any mp3 we wish...

“Headshot...” from one of the FPS games. LOL.

Car manufacturers have been doing that for a while, although in their cases they're piping engine noise into the cabin over the radio.

I first experienced it driving the BMW i8. I liked driving the car, but realized there was something off about the engine sound. Did a little digging and I realized why.

For most people, it's a better solution. Makes things quieter and less obnoxious for the surrounding individuals who don't appreciate the sound.

You’ve been complaining the Ram isn’t loud enough... microphone... audio mixer... :)

Harley had tons of young and old celebs alike ride the original Project Livewire bike. It’s not a lack of Marketing that’s making it not go in the market.

Back