"I'm not gonna lie..."

How about every sentence starting with the word "So". So I went to the store, So the other day I ran into... drives me nuts.

"Sales of existing homes. . ." There are few real estate settlements on homes that do not exist. . .

"Sales of existing homes. . ." There are few real estate settlements on homes that do not exist. . .
I agree, it sounds stupid but at least at our company we use that to refer to homes that are not new construction

Really? Don't people sometimes tour a model home and contract to purchase that home on a selected lot?

Anyway I've always taken existing houses to clearly mean houses that are not new. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

actually, quite a few new homes are sold before they are built. But as noted, “existing homes” means not new.

Alles klar is the bless your heart of German. To be honest, that’s all I have to contribute to this thread.

Alles klar is the bless your heart of German. To be honest, that’s all I have to contribute to this thread.

Well, quite frankly if that is LITERALLY all you have to contribute, like literally literally, ever, then whatever man, right?

To add one more: sauce...yes sauce..

As in, wow, that's awesomesauce or how about cray cray or "orbs" as in..adorbs...

Also..Okurrrr

Mwah, or, for the Asians, memeda. Who you think you kissing?

Myself, I hate the misuse of myself.

ex: Please send any questions to Mary Jane and Myself.

This.

I can live with the vast majority of the pet peeves mentioned in this thread (although I get others' irritation at them) but the rampant misuse of "myself" by educated adults of all ages, especially in a business setting, really annoys me. For some reason, it seems that the majority of people I interact with at work think that "myself" is just a more formal first person pronoun that can be substituted for "I" or "me" in any sentence to make it sound more official and educated. Obviously, it does the exact opposite but I seem to be in the minority on recognizing it. I even see it on formal emails that go out to thousands of people and really should be proofread more carefully.

..., especially in a business setting, ...... to make it sound more official and educated....
Aarrrgggghhhhh...this would be another infinitely long thread..... meaningless business/corporate/academic buzzwords. I truly made "Buzzword Bingo Cards" for some of our staff meetings and passed them out to some of my more sane and similarly frustrated colleagues. We marked the squares as our administrator-du-jour traveled through the fascinating land of nonsensical edubabble.

My corporate synergy pet peeves:
-baked in
-net net
-backburner
-let's hit the ground running
-let's get our ducks in a row
-here's the 30,000 ft view
-I'll put my feelers out
-ping
-loop in
-disruptor/disruptive
-coding ninja

"He was traveling at a high rate of speed."

No! Nonononononono! NOOOOOOO!

"He was traveling at a high speed."

"He was accelerating at a high rate of speed."

Really? Don't people sometimes tour a model home and contract to purchase that home on a selected lot?

Anyway I've always taken existing houses to clearly mean houses that are not new. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Yep, I understand what is meant by "sales of existing homes" - I was criticizing the imprecise and careless usage that has come into general usage. A sale implies paying for something, like a home; pretty sure no one usually pays for one that doesn't yet exist. Perhaps they contract for one to be built, as you say, and/or make a deposit, but "sale" is a stretch, I think. I guess it's possible someone could pay the entire cost up front and settle before the home is built, but that would be a rare event I imagine.

When used a statistic, it generally refers to settlements, which take place after the construction is complete.

Like our generation didn't have our share of saying that were created mostly to pizz off the previous generations. :rolleyes:

Not necessarily the product of a particular generation, but one of my favorites is "with all due respect" which is typically followed by a long oratory of how stoopid some dumb mf'er is...I'm guilty of using it...and have likely used it here!

Back