Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta vs. Oshkosh EAA Airventure

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
This past weekend we went to Albuquerque for the opening weekend of the annual Balloon Fiesta. This is essentially the Oshkosh of hot air balloons, with people coming from all over the world - literally - with their hot air balloons for what is a very unique gathering.

Most of us on PoA are powered aircraft folks, and I'm not even aware of anyone who's a ballooner on here (although I'm sure we have some). I would definitely recommend going to see it. It's a very unique and fun experience, and Albuquerque has a lot more interesting tourist attractions to offer than I realized.

There are three main events each day - the "dawn patrol", "mass ascention", and "night lights" (I forget the exact number). Dawn patrol is balloons taking off before the sun rises, so you see the balloons illuminated with their flames as they take off. The mass ascention is essentially over an hour of balloons taking off (a couple hundred or so). You can be pretty close to the action when all of this is happening.

We felt the night lanterns were the coolest, though. That was when all of the balloons got inflated and then illuminated with their flames semi-synchronized, producing a beautiful light.

I figured I'd make a few comparisons between the Balloon Fiesta and Oshkosh:

- Most balloon fiesta attendees seem to be non-pilots, unlike Oshkosh where it's almost all pilots and friends/relatives of pilots
- While Oshkosh has a whole lot more commercial booths for pilots, the balloon fiesta has much less in terms of commercial booths. Most of the commercial sales there were food and merchandise (shirts, hats, etc.). There seemed to be some booths for vendors, but it was definitely the minority
- The Fiesta events are primarily early morning and then evening, with the fair grounds closing midday. There aren't activites all day every day like Oshkosh, and while there were RVs camping they didn't have a large camp like Scholler. Most people seemed to be staying in hotels (which were booked)
- Very few people seemed to fly themselves in for the event. We were expecting Cutter Aviation (the main FBO at ABQ) to be full. Nope, very few people. The traffic around ABQ was really not bad at all, although apparently it's much better this year than previous years. You get shepherded into a particular parking lot and we didn't figure out how to easily decide where you ended up parking
- The balloon fiesta has an iPhone ap that's cool and useful for finding various things at the event, bathrooms, your car, etc. Oshkosh could benefit from this. Maybe it exists and I just didn't know about it, but if they don't have an ap, they should

After having seen both, in a lot of ways I actually prefer the balloon fiesta to Osh.

If it's not on your bucket list, make sure to add it and make the trip!

Great time of year throughout my area. Guys have been practicing all over NM ... makes for great pictures.

I have seen the ABQ Balloon Fiesta from the air a few times. Seeing the air full of balloons while flying over is a sight to see.

The first time I saw night light show from the air, I thought someone was fire bombing the place..:lol::lol:

The Red Rock Balloon Festival near Gallup is held on the first week of December. Admission is free but 5 bucks for parking.

balloon-gallup-red-rock-dm_big.jpg

Billy, I’d thought about messaging you since we were somewhat nearby, but the kids were being demons overall so we didn’t want to subject anyone else to them.

If you've never gone up in one, spend the time and money to do so. Way different type of flying even from soaring.

Note to self: If ever invited to fly in a balloon, don't go with the guy who flies the black one with the red, bue, yellow/green vertical stripes.

I think the giant air bag will bounce off the rocks before you do....:lol::lol:

Years ago, I was part of a balloon chase crew in Boise. I got to go up a couple of times. It was great! They had a small balloon festival there. The contest I remember most was when they put a set of truck keys on a pole at the fairgrounds. If someone was able to grab the keys from the balloon, they would win the truck. No one won that year. I might have gotten a balloon add-on if I had stayed in Boise, but I moved away.

Reactions: Ted
This past weekend we went to Albuquerque for the opening weekend of the annual Balloon Fiesta. This is essentially the Oshkosh of hot air balloons, with people coming from all over the world - literally - with their hot air balloons for what is a very unique gathering.

Most of us on PoA are powered aircraft folks, and I'm not even aware of anyone who's a ballooner on here (although I'm sure we have some). I would definitely recommend going to see it. It's a very unique and fun experience, and Albuquerque has a lot more interesting tourist attractions to offer than I realized.

There are three main events each day - the "dawn patrol", "mass ascention", and "night lights" (I forget the exact number). Dawn patrol is balloons taking off before the sun rises, so you see the balloons illuminated with their flames as they take off. The mass ascention is essentially over an hour of balloons taking off (a couple hundred or so). You can be pretty close to the action when all of this is happening.

We felt the night lanterns were the coolest, though. That was when all of the balloons got inflated and then illuminated with their flames semi-synchronized, producing a beautiful light.

I figured I'd make a few comparisons between the Balloon Fiesta and Oshkosh:

- Most balloon fiesta attendees seem to be non-pilots, unlike Oshkosh where it's almost all pilots and friends/relatives of pilots
- While Oshkosh has a whole lot more commercial booths for pilots, the balloon fiesta has much less in terms of commercial booths. Most of the commercial sales there were food and merchandise (shirts, hats, etc.). There seemed to be some booths for vendors, but it was definitely the minority
- The Fiesta events are primarily early morning and then evening, with the fair grounds closing midday. There aren't activites all day every day like Oshkosh, and while there were RVs camping they didn't have a large camp like Scholler. Most people seemed to be staying in hotels (which were booked)
- Very few people seemed to fly themselves in for the event. We were expecting Cutter Aviation (the main FBO at ABQ) to be full. Nope, very few people. The traffic around ABQ was really not bad at all, although apparently it's much better this year than previous years. You get shepherded into a particular parking lot and we didn't figure out how to easily decide where you ended up parking
- The balloon fiesta has an iPhone ap that's cool and useful for finding various things at the event, bathrooms, your car, etc. Oshkosh could benefit from this. Maybe it exists and I just didn't know about it, but if they don't have an ap, they should

After having seen both, in a lot of ways I actually prefer the balloon fiesta to Osh.

If it's not on your bucket list, make sure to add it and make the trip!

Cool. Glad it wasn't to windy for you. I went in 2012 and the wind kept the Balloons grounded most of the time. No mass ascention. Still had a good time though. The museum was pretty good. Felix Baumgartner did the Red Bull Stratos jump that weekend. We were thinking of going over that way to see if we could see anything. But we decided not to. There were high wind keep your trucks and trailers off the road warnings out. We were in a fifth wheel trailer and heading west early was the thing to do. Still on my things to do someday though. I'll give ya all a warning if I do. I'm probably a jinx and ruined that one in 2012:)

Reactions: Ted
It is just a short fall, where is your sense of adventure.??

20121129-gallup-0120.jpg

My sense of adventure would end at the sudden stop. Reminds me of Mitch Hedburg's 13th floor bit.

"Hotels don't have a thirteenth floor. So someone who jumps from the fourteenth floor will die earlier."

Back