The ‘What’s in your panel’ thread

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Lots of talk about panel upgrades and downgrades as of lately, so I’m curious what’s in everyone’s panel. Provide a photo (so all of us can ogle) and a description of what you have. I think we’ll all enjoy this. Go ahead, you have my permission to show off - even if all you have is pre-historic Narco equipment. :D

Spent $14.5K out of pocket for GTX-345, FS210, Upgraded 430 to 430W, PS 450A audio Panel, ACK-04 406 ELT. New wiring and antennas. Also overhauled a couple of the steam gages. Works really well for me.

IMG_6796-1024x768.jpg

Blog link to a full write-up: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/ads-b/

Also gained 12lbs of useful load selling off the ADF and DME, plus sold the old working gear for $2500 plus $500 FAA rebate to get the cost down to $14.5K. Upgraded 2 years ago to beat the 2020 rush. Discounts were better back then.

Having ForeFlight fully integrated with the 430W and 345 is awesome. One button push to up & download flight plans.

Last edited:
Somewhere south of Vegas, en route to Page, AZ.

A mixture of steam and glass, plus a whiskey compass too! The absolute best part of the build, deciding what to put in and where to put it. Garmin GTR-200 comm made it easy, as it has a built-in 2-place intercom.

IMG_4493.jpg

Spent $14.5K out of pocket for GTX-345, FS210, Upgraded 430 to 430W, PS 450A audio Panel, ACK-04 406 ELT. New wiring and antennas. Also overhauled a couple of the steam gages. Works really well for me.

IMG_6796-1024x768.jpg

Blog link to a full write-up: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/ads-b/

Also gained 12lbs of useful load selling off the ADF and DME, plus sold the old working gear for $2500 plus $500 FAA rebate to get the cost down to $14.5K. Upgraded 2 years ago to beat the 2020 rush. Discounts were better back then.

Having ForeFlight fully integrated with the 430W and 345 is awesome. One button push to up & download flight plans.

Is that a full sized iPad or the mini? If full sized, it doesn't get in the way? And how is it mounted?

This is now my least favorite thread ever. I tried to take a picture of my panel, but I got a notification saying my camera was too new to capture images that old.

Is that a full sized iPad or the mini? If full sized, it doesn't get in the way? And how is it mounted?

It’s full size and works like a champ. It uses:
This yoke clamp & connector arm:https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-R...eywords=Ram+yoke+mount&qid=1570596929&sr=8-16

iPad Air 2 Mount: https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-R...ocphy=9032179&hvtargid=pla-494101307737&psc=1

The only gage that is obscured is vacuum below the yoke tube, but visible if I lean forward. The iPad in never in the way and never interferes with my hands.

With the FS210, it’s a delight to modify a flight plan and push it to the 430W. Also checking ADS-B traffic & weather is super easy and convenient.

-David

cd120b79eab02c5d01827fe97b0211b0.plist

650, 255, 450A, 74, 210, 88, 660, 900, & G5s
Removed engine gauges, annunciator, vacuum and heavy legacy instruments, losing ~40lbs of weight.
I installed panel mounted compass to give a better view.

Shouldn’t this thread be in “Avionics and upgrades”?

Tom

Last edited:
I like simple, too. That's a Becker com in the box on the floor with the intercom.

IMG_20190317_151405.jpg
I may add a gyro turn & bank in the empty spot ('cuz one saved my ass once in the T-Craft), and replace the flaky clock with a g-meter.

Im a Garmin fan. Remote mounted transponder and comm 2.

IMG_0876%25281%2529.jpg

Loved seeing this. I am thinking of doing side by side G3x, but concerned how far over the GNX375 would be. How much of a stretch is it for you to your 650? Assuming that's a 650 :)

I think the panel in my Sky Arrow is perfectly in line with the plane’s mission and capabilities:

23079290433_63e9fe4b95.jpg

The Garmin 496 in its AirGizmo mount is fully capable of navigating me anywhere in the country, and is capable of depicting NEXRAD and other weather products via Sirius XM. That, combined with my iPhone or iPad running WingX Pro and I never feel navigationally impaired. About the only thing I use my Dynon D10A for is TAS and DA calculation, though it’s nice to know it’s there if I ever blunder into IMC.

Personally, I think multiple glass screens in a Light Sport is “gilding the lily”, and is in part what has driven Light Sport prices into the stratosphere. But to each their own, and I’m not judging.

Loved seeing this. I am thinking of doing side by side G3x, but concerned how far over the GNX375 would be. How much of a stretch is it for you to your 650? Assuming that's a 650 :)

Even with shoulder harnesses I have no issues working any part of the panel. Around 100 hours on this plane so far and still love the avionics setup.

^^^ the Pilatus is definitely the coolest. Always loved that panel, both the old and the new. :)

I bought it with the KSN770, KMA30, and Century HSI. I Added the JPI EDM-830 a few months ago. The HSI is not working well and needs an OH, so it is in the shop right now being replaced with a G5, as well as the vacuum attitude indicator.

Warning: Your penis isn't long enough to participate in this thread. Warning
Advertencia. Su pene no es lo suficientemente largo como para participar en este hilo. Advertencia.
Attention. Votre pénis n'est pas assez long pour participer à ce fil. Attention.
Warnung. Dein Penis ist nicht lang genug, um an diesem Thread teilzunehmen. Warnung.

:oops:

Warning: Your penis isn't long enough to participate in this thread. Warning
Advertencia. Su pene no es lo suficientemente largo como para participar en este hilo. Advertencia.
Attention. Votre pénis n'est pas assez long pour participer à ce fil. Attention.
Warnung. Dein Penis ist nicht lang genug, um an diesem Thread teilzunehmen. Warnung.

:oops:
Surely you'd get a participation trophy?

upload_2019-10-9_13-0-29.jpeg

First thing to go is the slip/skid instrument. No idea why it’s in the Ercoupe without rudder pedals. :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Your airplane has a generator panel that big?!? What'd you fly a C-5? :)

Check the OP....airplane is not mentioned :)

.....hence the attempted humor of the whole-house generator panel....

Jim

Back