Got a deal on whole beef tenderloin, but what are the best sides

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I like baked potatoes, but they take a while in the oven and microwave potatoes are vile.
So what are your favorite sides to accompany such a fine cut of meat? Roasted potatoes and asparagus are standard fare, good but what if you want something different.

Mashers. Tenderloin is a bit tasteless without a good sauce, so something that'll soak it up goes well.

I just finished one today; an 8 pounder.....Smoked till 142, pulled and wrapped for 2 hours. Had homemade mac n cheese and doctored bake beans from a can. Garlic bread to sop up the mess.

Err.... mine was a pork loin.

Roasted potatoes. Cut them up, toss in a bowl with salt, pepper, maybe some garlic, oil a roasting pan and into the oven @400 for 20 minutes, turn them over, let roast for another 15. Sauteed mushrooms work well too. Same technique for butternut squash, minus the garlic, broccoli or Brussels Sprouts. Actually, the only way I'll eat Brussel Sprouts.

The best sides of a properly done beef tenderloin are the outsides and the insides.

A starch and a good vegetable ie., white potatoes and broccoli or something like that.

Mashed potatoes loaded with sauteed onion, butter, and sour cream. Halved and roasted brussels sprouts. Yorkshire pudding. Rye whiskey after. Okay, before, during, and after. I cook the tenderloin whole. That there is my family's traditional Christmas dinner.

Mashed potatoes loaded with sauteed onion, butter, and sour cream. Halved and roasted brussels sprouts. Yorkshire pudding. Rye whiskey after. Okay, before, during, and after. I cook the tenderloin whole. That there is my family's traditional Christmas dinner.

The halved and roasted brussels sprouts sounds interesting. How do you do those?

Sautéed mushrooms.

Roasted carrots.

You already said something other than asparagus, but have you tried grilling it? Olive oil and balsamic drizzle, salt and pepper, then toss onto and screaming hot grill. Roll them around so they don’t burn. Should only take a minute or two. They will have a nice crunch.

The left side.

Mashed potatoes loaded with sauteed onion, butter, and sour cream. Halved and roasted brussels sprouts. Yorkshire pudding. Rye whiskey after. Okay, before, during, and after. I cook the tenderloin whole. That there is my family's traditional Christmas dinner.[/QUOTE

As a Mackem it sounds like a Sunday roast around my place...never thought I would see Yorkshire puddings posted on an American for the most part Aviation forum...and yes an important food group with a proper brown onion gravy....

I like to make tournedos if I have some tenderloin, which is bacon wrapped tenderloin, sauteed in a skillet. I usually serve them with sesame green beans.

Green beans with red onions and garlic.

Roasted artichoke

Cook it all over a real wood fire and enjoy with a nice smoky scotch

I no longer eat meat, but back when I did, a couple of my favorite sides with any beef would have been a baked sweet potato (with toppings of choice), and roasted asparagus.

I alternate between Ceasar salad and cole slaw.

A good horseradish sauce goes great with any kind of beef roast.

A good horseradish sauce goes great with any kind of beef roast.
Oh my.

I have an outstanding recipe for a horseradish cream sauce, I'll have to dig it out, but it's basically:

Heavy cream, whipped until it's almost a whipped cream consistency.
Add a couple tablespoons of horseradish, the hotter the better. Rather than grating my own, I use a small jar of the hot prepared stuff.
A little cayenne pepper.
A little white pepper.

Stir it all together and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple hours so the flavors blend. The heat from the horseradish will be calmed by the cream, that's why I use hot.

It's good stuff.

Oh my.

I have an outstanding recipe for a horseradish cream sauce, I'll have to dig it out, but it's basically:

Heavy cream, whipped until it's almost a whipped cream consistency.
Add a couple tablespoons of horseradish, the hotter the better. Rather than grating my own, I use a small jar of the hot prepared stuff.
A little cayenne pepper.
A little white pepper.

Stir it all together and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple hours so the flavors blend. The heat from the horseradish will be calmed by the cream, that's why I use hot.

It's good stuff.
I would love to try it. I’m one of those people that likes horseradish on more than just beef. Goes well with chicken or even on the side with the Turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

I like horseradish, but not on the very best cuts of meat.

I would love to try it. I’m one of those people that likes horseradish on more than just beef. Goes well with chicken or even on the side with the Turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

Found it, I've shared it before:

1/2 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs cider vinegar
2 Tbs hot horseradish
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground red pepper

Whip the cream to soft peaks, blend in everything else. Refrigerate most of the day for the flavors to blend.

Back